BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Spark plugs

• Cremator1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Dec 2018 17:17 #199552 by Cremator1
Replied by Cremator1 on topic Spark plugs
Thanks for reply’s got new set of plugs but I have not got a set of gauges to set them would they be ready set out the box or should I get a set of feeler gauges

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Dec 2018 17:46 - 28 Dec 2018 17:53 #199557 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Spark plugsvv
I would get a set of gauges and check them before you fit them, easy to do at this stage even if they dont need adjustment.
What did you go for, Iridium or nickel?
Having looked at the available info the main difference appears to be service life. NGK rate Iridium for 60K and Nickel for 20K (maximum for each, driving conditions will change this). So it looks like Nickel plugs need to be changed more, so if you are paying someone to do this Iridium may work out cheaper in the long term once labour is factored in. Iridium are favoured on cars with COP systems (coil on plug) as is the Jimny, but no reason for this is given other than changing the plugs is more involved (more labour intensive) to remove the cop system etc. Can of worms by the look of it as to which is best from a cost point of view.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 28 Dec 2018 17:53 by Scimike.

• Cremator1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Dec 2018 17:54 #199560 by Cremator1
Hi ya went for iridium ones just ordered a set of feeler gauges from amonzon but not sure which blade I should use on it to be honest when it comes tomorrow many thanks dawn

More
28 Dec 2018 18:22 #199566 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Spark plugs
Dont know recommend gap, but if no one pops up the answer tonight I will fire up the CD manual and see if I can find one before the gauge arrives.
Iridium plug gap anyone ?

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Cremator1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Dec 2018 18:27 #199570 by Cremator1
Oh thank you so much also are they easy to change had a look and 2 of the plugs seem to have some sort of coil pack attached to them other 2 don’t have anything other than the lplug lead thank u dawn x

More
28 Dec 2018 19:20 - 28 Dec 2018 19:22 #199581 by Scimike
Ok taken from my Suzuki manual (2009 M13AA), all plug types I mentioned including the Iridium the gap is:-
1.0 to 1.1mm (0.039 to 0.043 inch)

Never changed mine but it should not be an overly difficult job. As you have found two plugs will have coil packs on top, the others fed via HT leads from these. Yes you need to remove these, but so long as you put it all back in the same order all will be fine. Do one plug at a time if you can (to avoid mixing things up) or take photos as you go, or both.

Sorry I cant give any direct advice, this is a job I need to do myself one day. But not soon, its cold and raining, I will wait until summer if I can. :laugh:

Last edit: 28 Dec 2018 19:22 by Scimike.

• Cremator1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Dec 2018 19:27 #199582 by Cremator1
Hi ya thank u for looking that’s great I will have a go tomorrow when it says 0.039- 0.043 do you go some where in the middle lol dawn x

More
28 Dec 2018 20:10 #199590 by Kenny
Replied by Kenny on topic Spark plugs
Hardly a tuned engine....I'd stick with NGK or Bosch...both are excellent plugs.

More
28 Dec 2018 20:42 #199596 by Scimike
Yes in the middle will do, but dont get hung up on super accuracy. If you have a single feeler gauge blade within your set that sits between these measurements just use that. It should just slide through the gap with a little "drag", a gauge larger than the top limit should not.
You are just checking they have not been bashed in transit or manufactured wrong before you fit them.

• Cremator1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Dec 2018 13:21 #199625 by Cremator1
Ok got feeler gauge it’s got loads of blades on it is 0.40 mm same as 0.040mm

More
29 Dec 2018 13:26 #199626 by reedx
Replied by reedx on topic Spark plugs

Cremator1 wrote: Ok got feeler gauge it’s got loads of blades on it is 0.40 mm same as 0.040mm

No, it is 10 times thicker.

Colin

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
29 Dec 2018 13:32 - 29 Dec 2018 13:37 #199627 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Spark plugs
No it's a factor of 10 different. With feeler gauges the idea is to stack up a selection of leaves together to get a desired dimension. E.g. the 0.4 with the 0.2 and the 0.5 together give you a total of 1.1mm which is the upper plug tolerance.

Also be aware that some guage sets are both metric and imperial on the same leaves. Metric will usually be tenths of mm 0.10 or possibly hundredths 0.001 of mm. imperial will always be in thousandth of an inch 0.0010

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
Last edit: 29 Dec 2018 13:37 by Lambert. Reason: Zeroes

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds