BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Tyres

• Cremator1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Dec 2018 19:32 #199275 by Cremator1
Tyres was created by Cremator1
Hi all and merry Christmas in the market for a new set of tyres but don’t no what to get got the standard bridgesones on at mo don’t want to go any bigger size do Most on road but live in sticks and I do a lot of field sports so will be going off road a bit as well so looking for a 50/50 tyre and if it snows need to be able to get out of our lanes any advice would be great thank you dawn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Dec 2018 19:47 - 21 Dec 2018 20:21 #199276 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Tyres
I'm the same as you - mostly road and live in the sticks. There are a couple of farmyards with mud tracks that are 'Unsuitable for motors' that I occasionally drive through that are just deep mud.

After much researching and reading I settled for Yokohama Geolandars G015 A/T - they're an all-season tyre which perfectly suits my needs as I don't have the space for a seperate set of winter wheels/tyres and they're very good in the wet.
There is a fast road along my route to work (A424), that has a negative camber bend. On that bend there is often a lot of water run-off across the road where it doesnt drain. Sadly two people were killed on that road just over a week ago - I suspect that water run-off may have caught one vehicle out and it aquaplned head on into an oncoming vehicle.

These tyres work well going through that water on that bend and other places along my route where water washes across the road surfaces like a river, and I feel very confident with them now. Theyve been brilliant in the deep mud track that I occasionally take a shortcut through.

I elected for these after we had all the snow last year and I had an unintentional sideways moment on the old tyres which were awful as well as worn out. So as yet I have not had a chance to try them in snow, but going on the reports of others in this forum that use them, they're really good.

Hope this feedback helps

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 21 Dec 2018 20:21 by Max Headroom.

• Cremator1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Dec 2018 19:50 #199277 by Cremator1
Replied by Cremator1 on topic Tyres
Hi max mmm they sound ok was thinking bfg or general grabbers

More
21 Dec 2018 20:02 - 21 Dec 2018 20:23 #199278 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Tyres
I looked at those and they were close contenders - I can't remember what it was that 'swung it' for the Yokos in the end - it might have been because they are an 'all-season' tyre, but I would definitely choose them again based on their wet-weather performance alone.
Like I said - not had the chance to try them for myself in snow (yet} but the reports of others was excellent

EDIT:
Yokohama G015 A/T are the ones I have

Some info on them here

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 21 Dec 2018 20:23 by Max Headroom.

More
21 Dec 2018 20:21 #199279 by reedx
Replied by reedx on topic Tyres

Cremator1 wrote: Hi max mmm they sound ok was thinking bfg or general grabbers

If you don't want to go a bigger size than standard then the BFG's and General Grabbers may be out - I'm sure the smallest size BFG do is 215/75 R15, and General Grabber 205/70 R15.

Colin

More
21 Dec 2018 20:42 - 21 Dec 2018 21:11 #199281 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Tyres
I have run BFG's 215/75x15 AT KO2 on my car with no lift and they were fine, the slight increase in size has made the speedo perfectly in line with the roadside cameras.

As for performance, great all round, last winters snow was no problem at all. Good on wet tarmac too. The big surprise has been off road, I've done a fair bit and they have been fantastic on all surfaces.

sniper
Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Dec 2018 21:11 by sniper.

More
21 Dec 2018 20:43 #199282 by jackonlyjack

• paradox1001
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Dec 2018 20:50 #199283 by paradox1001
Replied by paradox1001 on topic Re:Tyres
I’ve geolanders on mine and can’t fault them
They were great in the snow at the beginning of the year and have good wet grip and great road manners.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
21 Dec 2018 21:12 #199285 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Re:Tyres
I currently have bfg urban terrain on both mine. They are a road bias all season and available in the standard size. The grip they offer is staggering in all road conditions. Off road every situation is covered with the exception of axle deep mud and wet clay, though for a road tyre they're never going to compete against the likes of the bfg mud terrain in those conditions.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Cremator1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Dec 2018 12:27 - 23 Dec 2018 12:28 #199342 by Cremator1
Replied by Cremator1 on topic Re:Tyres
Thank you for reply’s can I go to 205/75/15 with out any trouble see the geolander are about 94.00 each
Last edit: 23 Dec 2018 12:28 by Cremator1.

More
23 Dec 2018 13:31 #199343 by jackonlyjack

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Dec 2018 17:14 #199349 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Re:Tyres
Yeah I fitted them on mine hopefully give you an idea of how they will look

www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...-dan-s-blueish-black

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds