BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Suzuki Jimny waiting list now up to a year in the UK

• reedx
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
    Registered
  • Durham, UK
More
More
19 Dec 2018 21:28 #199200 by Foxtrot
It mentions a possibility of another plant in India to help with the demand. Dacia had the same idea and initially built the UK Duster in Chennai. The quality control was terrible, Dusters had rusty paint work within 12 months. After two years Dacia had to stop the import from India and use their Romanian plant to limit the damage to the brand.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Dec 2018 07:55 #199212 by facade
The more I read about the new Jimny, the more it is starting to put me off. I certainly wouldn't pay £20K for one that didn't have a VIN starting with J.

The Spanish built Honda I had was awful, even the plastic parts corroded, and that was supposedly built to Honda's exacting standards, my woeful Renault Nissan was built in Sunderland, by the build quality and total lack of QC you'd have thought it came out of Longbridge in 1981.

Now if it was at Indian prices, like the £7000 it was originally supposed to be, I'd definitely buy one...;)

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
20 Dec 2018 08:16 - 20 Dec 2018 08:17 #199214 by Max Headroom
Do/did the Spanish built Jimnys (these may have been the convertible variants) such as the O2 have a QC issue?

When I started looking for a Jimny, I approached Cotswold Jimnys and they claimed they wouldn't touch the convertibles because of parts issues and other problems, explaining that they were Spanish built, but to be honest I found them neither particularly helpful or friendly, and couldnt decide if they were just trying to sell me something else.
(As a result after buying mine elsewhere I noted they were selling two convertibles)

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 20 Dec 2018 08:17 by Max Headroom.

More
20 Dec 2018 09:02 #199216 by facade
They didn't weld the back axle very well, and they are known to split in half at the diff housing on the long side.

Don't know about the paint, but my old Spanish built Terrano wasn't well painted, nor that Honda.

Popular rumour has it that they used whatever engine they happened to have in stock when they built them (Nissan UK did the same with my car, whatever they didn't have trim wise, they didn't fit, so some have pic-a-nic tables in the seats, and cubby boxes, some don't)

I know all about the dangers of stereotyping, but if it is my £20k I want to see a J on the VIN. I may bite the bullet and get a late current model, even with the electric transfer to go wrong......

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
20 Dec 2018 09:57 #199217 by mlines
The softtops were made in Spain by Santana.

They are basically the same so the same parts fit except for the Soft-top components. These are the hard bits to get. The official canvases have been outsourced to Monsoon and the metal work has been outsourced to another supplier which has put the price up from around £300 to £1000 which is stupid and they will sell exactly zero at this price.

Toward the end of Spanish production the cars became "bitsa" cars. You will get odd engines (M13 or even M13VVT) interchanged with G13 etc.

Not convinced there is much difference in overall build quality apart from the person who found a beer bottle welded inside the sill.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
20 Dec 2018 12:26 #199223 by Max Headroom

mlines wrote: Not convinced there is much difference in overall build quality apart from the person who found a beer bottle welded inside the sill.

I've heard of a lot of odd things found built into cars but that just about tops the lot! Cheers! :laugh: :laugh:

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds