BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Stuck in 4wd

More
17 Dec 2018 20:45 #199119 by j999pre
Replied by j999pre on topic Stuck in 4wd
Vacuum is used to both lock and unlock the hubs.

If you link a wire on the connector to the vac sensor you can trick it into thinking the vacuum works no matter what condition the pipes are in. You won't get 4wd at the hubs but can check whether the transfer box shifts into 4wd and 2wd.

How did the garage manage to get the transfer out of 4wd if the actuator is broken?

Whereabouts are you

Gold Jimny the best colour (sold) :(

Big red Jimny 32" tyres, arbs, cage 5:1 transfer etc. (Sold)

Grey pick up Jimny
Turbo m13a, arbs, floating rear shafts, disc conversion rear, vented front conversion. 245 70 16. Winch, 3" lift, 4:16 trans hd shafts and CVS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Dec 2018 21:53 #199125 by Delux
Replied by Delux on topic Stuck in 4wd
We had one at work last year. Done all the usual checks. Everything pointed to the actuator unit on the transfer box.
Isuzu use a similar system on the Dmax and Mitsubishi have recently switched to a variation too. With that in mind I figured there must be an electric motor, so I removed the actuator, figured out the motor supply and earth from the wiring diagram. There was continuity between the terminals so I connected it up to 12 volts. Nothing happened!
Compared this with an Isuzu unit borrowed off a sales car (Gary, I put it back!). Similar resistance reading but when I powered up the terminals it operated.
Fitted a new one (from the dealer about £300) and away it went!
Just out of curiosity, I took the old one apart. Outside looked fine, customer rarely takes it off road. Inside there were signs of corrosion on the electrics and the motor body was pretty rusty.

Busiest Mechanic in Scotland!
My pics (inc. pics of my latest Jimny project)...
www.flickr.com/photos/159422664@N08/albums
My ebay stuff for sale...
www.ebay.co.uk/usr/deeelux

• Mattch5150
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Dec 2018 23:58 #199129 by Mattch5150
Replied by Mattch5150 on topic Stuck in 4wd
I'm in Warwickshire near stratfird upon avon. I didn't ask how he got it out of4wd , been such a nightmare I just forgot. The guy is not experienced in the system definitely but is just a mechanic of many years. The flashing light has gone out and car is in 2wd. He said if I pressed the 4wd button it would probably happen again. I'm really not sure. I think at some point it would be good to get a forum member if at all possible to have a look. In the mean time it will just have to stay as 2wd .

More
18 Dec 2018 08:59 #199139 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Stuck in 4wd
If you want 4wd it sounds like a new actuator is the only way to go. It's one of those things where yes, it costs a fair amount of money, but coming into winter what's the point in having a 2wd 4x4? The sooner you fix it the better. Personally I'd replace the crusty vacuum pipes with some new stuff so you still keep the convenience and simple operation of the vacuum hubs. It seems odd that the actuator and the vacuum pipes both failed at the same time? The hubs may infact have been working all along.

• Mattch5150
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Dec 2018 09:58 #199141 by Mattch5150
Can't afford it at present. Would be nice to get an actual diagnosis. A few odd things like it went into 4wd but not out etc. The garage I took it too are just a small local one who do a lot ofold stuff like triumph tr6 etc and have an mot station. The interesting thing is before clutch cable changed never had a problem but there we go. It went into all drives perfectly at all times.

More
18 Dec 2018 12:43 #199144 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Stuck in 4wd
Matt

The Jimny doesnt seem that complex so any old-school garage like you have described working on classics should be easily able to deal with it. They sound like my kind of garage to be honest; I sometimes get the impression that old-school car mechanics have a few tricks up their sleeves that are far better than plug-in diagnostics.
I'd agree with Busta's comments change what you can when you can.
I'ts a particlarly bad time of year to have anything go wrong so I totally sympathise

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

• Mattch5150
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Dec 2018 12:48 #199146 by Mattch5150
My plan is definately to go with free hubs. Regarding the actuator just need to be sure it's actually knackered or it just the electric connector or something. If have to will try and get a 2nd hand one. Thanks again!

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
18 Dec 2018 14:58 - 18 Dec 2018 14:59 #199153 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Stuck in 4wd
Was it the same garage that did the original job? It sounds like a healthy coincidence that the clutch is repaired and immediately after another component fails needing another huge outlay. But I'm a cynical old goat what don't trust garages.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
Last edit: 18 Dec 2018 14:59 by Lambert. Reason: Grammar

• Mattch5150
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Dec 2018 15:33 #199157 by Mattch5150
It is same garage. They don't seem dodgy. The front braid was definitely rotten. I would love an opinion on the transfer actuator though. They only changed clutch cable as it was seized before this,

• Mattch5150
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Dec 2018 21:22 #199199 by Mattch5150
Any one heard of cam suzuki on ebay. I've seen an entire transfer box for £124. Is Labour to fit another box a lot?. My plans are to sort either the actuator or put a used tf box in and to install freewheeling hubs as replacing all vaccum parts is a pita. I've emailed a few used dealers about actuators. As a rough estimate how many hours to change transfer box and Install hubs?. Once again thanks so much for everyone's help on this, really amazing group of enthusiasts!

• paradox1001
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Dec 2018 22:39 #199203 by paradox1001
Replied by paradox1001 on topic Re:Stuck in 4wd
Match fella
You need to do some fault finding before you splash out more cash

You don’t want to pay out for a new actuator or a whole new transfer box to then find out when it’s fitted that it was actually a broken wire or dodgy connector.

If I wasn’t so far away from you I’d come take a look for you.

• Mattch5150
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Dec 2018 22:42 #199204 by Mattch5150
Replied by Mattch5150 on topic Re:Stuck in 4wd
I will do I'm just asking I so I know worse case scenario. Freewheeling hubs I think will be done anyway. Will get garage to check wiring etc !

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds