BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Stuck in 4wd

More
16 Dec 2018 21:03 #199093 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Stuck in 4wd
The flashing light is important beyond just flashing. You need to note the speed of the flash and at what point the flashing starts. It's telling you what the error is

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Dec 2018 00:28 #199095 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Re:Stuck in 4wd
If you have not done so already you should try and determine which part(s) are stuck in 4WD.

Jack up any one front wheel, can you turn it by hand and If you can does the front propshaft rotate?
1) Unable to rotate means the wheel hub is engaged and the transfer case is locked in 4WD - not ideal to drive
2) wheel only turns means the front hub is disengaged --good to drive (but check other front wheel is same)
3) wheel turns AND propshaft means that hub is locked but transfer case is disengaged -- good to drive

This should give an idea of which bits have engaged and what action to take to allow your to drive the vehicle. Removing the front prop or manually disengaging the hubs will achieve this whichever you find easy to do.

Think I have this correct and sorry if you have already identified for sure it is stuck.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
17 Dec 2018 05:04 #199097 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Re:Stuck in 4wd
This T piece of pipe connection you have used, have you blocked off the third branch of it so that even though the two pipes you've connected are joined there isn't an open path to atmosphere?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Mattch5150
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Dec 2018 06:21 #199099 by Mattch5150
Replied by Mattch5150 on topic Re:Stuck in 4wd
Yes done that

More
17 Dec 2018 10:25 #199105 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Stuck in 4wd
Bit late to the party here but some thoughts from reading through:

Check all electrical connections on the transfer case. They may have removed it to do the clutch, and if they didn't remove it they would have had to push the gearbox back against it potentially knocking something.
The vacuum is used to both engage and disengage the hubs, hence the 2 lines to each hub.
You can safely drive it by removing just one hub. You don't need to remove the prop.
The E10 torx bolts on the hub can usually be undone with a regular socket, 8mm I think.
You can remove both hubs, push the collars back and reinstall to put it in 2wd. If you do this, start the car and listen for the hubs engaging (clunk, clunk). If they do, the fault is with the transfer/selector, not the hubs and vacuum system.
Replace any sections of heavily corroded or broken pipes with flexible tubing cable tied to the old steel lines.
Blowing down the pipes will show you if there is still a leak or not.
Check for other issues, like worn wheel bearings. Any movement in the wheel bearing will break the seals and the system will leak.
Landrovers are horrendous to drive and work on. Stick with a Jimny!

• Mattch5150
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Dec 2018 14:19 #199106 by Mattch5150
Replied by Mattch5150 on topic Stuck in 4wd
It's in the garage. Just hope they can sort it but not holding my breath!

• Mattch5150
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Dec 2018 16:04 #199107 by Mattch5150
Back from garage, light out and in 2wd but not fixed. He said vaccum pipes are in a bad co ndition and actuator motor is gone. Whatever the motor is its about £300. For it. He says to do that and sort all vaccum pipes would not be cheap. He can fit manual.hubs if I want them. Oldish bloke and he used to work for suzuki. He said hubs still locked but it is out of 2wd and not to press button. It's my gf car sodont know how she would manage with manual.hubs?

More
17 Dec 2018 16:44 #199109 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Stuck in 4wd
The manual hubs are simple to use, if you are likely to encounter slippery conditions, you engage the hubs and drive as normal. Just press the selector for 4H and 4L as required when you normally would.

In fair weather, you disengage the hubs and this saves a little fuel. You don't need to be scared of driving with the hubs engaged, it might cost a few mpg but will do no other harm.

The actuator is an expensive unit £358 I think, no option but to change it if you want 4WD.

I recently visited James Priestly a forum member who deals in second hand parts, he may be able to help with a cheaper alternative.

sniper

• Mattch5150
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Dec 2018 18:18 #199112 by Mattch5150
Can someone link me onto get the hub kit from here please. Also with the actuator gone will 4l still work if I fit manual hubs?

• Mattch5150
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Dec 2018 18:20 #199114 by Mattch5150
If my actuator is gone just fitting manual hubs won't help?

More
17 Dec 2018 18:52 - 17 Dec 2018 18:55 #199115 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Stuck in 4wd
If the actuator is not working you are stuck in your present position, 2wd unless you press it and then it will be stuck in 4H again.....

As I said, you'll probably find a secondhand transfer box, cheaper than a new actuator.

I got my hubs from Jimnybits, I think they start at around £80.

sniper
Last edit: 17 Dec 2018 18:55 by sniper.

• Mattch5150
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Dec 2018 18:55 #199116 by Mattch5150
The guy at the garage is no expert so cannot be sure. I tho k it will have to stay in 2wd. Don't think can spend big money on a 12 year old car for that. It's a shame. It worked well for a year, but the price to change all that is just not worth it. I thought manual hubs would fix it so am a bit disappointed .

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds