BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Fuel pipe replacement

• Johntom
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Dec 2018 09:53 - 06 Dec 2018 09:54 #198705 by Johntom
Fuel pipe replacement was created by Johntom
Hi
Just after some advice re fuel pipe replacement.

Do you cut the old pipes and join with compression fittings or flare the new pipe and push into the rubber tails from the tank and secure with fuel pipe clips ?

Also what length pipe is required (2 x 8mm and 1 x 6mm) , a garage has quoted 3 x 12’ lengths which seem excessive?
Thanks
Last edit: 06 Dec 2018 09:54 by Johntom.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Dec 2018 18:05 #198748 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Fuel pipe replacement
Been a few years since I did mine.

I cut the steel pipes at the tank about an inch from where the plastic tails were sweated on and joined them to the new pipes with rubber fuel pipe, the corrosion is at the front where the pipes bend and are clipped below the drivers feet. The back pipes look rusty, but they were pretty good on mine, just surface rust. The vent pipe just pushes into a rubber tube IIRC.

I can't remember how much I used, but likely I bought 25 feet of each size, the bends lose quite a bit of length. The hardest part is getting those plastic comb clips off the chassis and pipes without breaking too many of them. I cut the pipes off in sections and carefully pulled the bits out of the clips.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
07 Dec 2018 20:24 #198753 by Delux
Replied by Delux on topic Fuel pipe replacement
I used a similar method to Facade on my last Jimny.

My fuel pipes didnt look that bad, but by the time I'd unclipped everything to replace the brake pipes I thought I better act while I could rather than wait until I had to!

I just used some spare sections of stainless pipe I had lying about. Think it was spare stuff from a Shogun DPF sensor.

Years ago I worked in a Vauxhall dealer, as part of a major service we had to change the petrol fuel filter. On Calibras and high spec cavaliers (might need to google them if you are not as old as me!). Most of the time the small phillips screw clamping the filter would be corroded and chewed up. Most of the time when you attacked the screw with vise grips the whole fuel pump bracket would break off and snap the fuel pipes as it went!
We all became quite good at making up fuel pipes in the end!

Busiest Mechanic in Scotland!
My pics (inc. pics of my latest Jimny project)...
www.flickr.com/photos/159422664@N08/albums
My ebay stuff for sale...
www.ebay.co.uk/usr/deeelux

Time to create page: 0.084 seconds