BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

M.O.T.

• GRAYWOLF
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Nov 2018 13:02 #198359 by GRAYWOLF
M.O.T. was created by GRAYWOLF
hI all,
Just wondering about this, when i painted my axles and diffs. i got paint on some of the brake pipes...saw a thread on here recently about it possibly being failed on MOT for this..
Any genuine advice, help appreciated..
Dont wanna take it next week and get a fail for summat so daft..!
Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• paradox1001
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Nov 2018 13:29 #198362 by paradox1001
Replied by paradox1001 on topic Re:M.O.T.
They will just note it down that they have been painted as an arse covering exercise
I’ve seen cars pass mot before where people have slathered corroded brake lines in grease.

More
29 Nov 2018 16:21 #198375 by jackonlyjack
The following user(s) said Thank You: GRAYWOLF

• GRAYWOLF
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Nov 2018 15:11 #198442 by GRAYWOLF
Replied by GRAYWOLF on topic Re:M.O.T.
Thanks, what i had always thought, but a comment was made on here not long ago re;failing.
My lines are all bang on...but you just never know/
Many thanks.

More
30 Nov 2018 20:41 - 30 Nov 2018 21:08 #198455 by Delux
Replied by Delux on topic Re:M.O.T.
MOT testers are not allowed to remove anything during the test. That includes paint or grease on brake pipes.

If you have nice, shiney, painted from new brake pipes, the tester will say nothing but if you have blatantly slapped on a thick coat of underseal to hide rusty brake pipes they may give you an advisory stating they are unable to check them properly.

See the end of the 2nd paragraph...
www.mot-testing.service.gov.uk/documents....html#section_1.1.11

Before anyone charges off with a torch and can of underseal please remember the MOT is a test to meet the minimum safety standard allowed on the road. If you have to underseal or grease your brake pipes to the point the tester cant tell if they are corroded or not, should you really be driving about with them? Brake pipes on a jimny are not massively expensive or difficult to do.

Busiest Mechanic in Scotland!
My pics (inc. pics of my latest Jimny project)...
www.flickr.com/photos/159422664@N08/albums
My ebay stuff for sale...
www.ebay.co.uk/usr/deeelux
Last edit: 30 Nov 2018 21:08 by Delux.
The following user(s) said Thank You: paradox1001

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
01 Dec 2018 06:00 #198459 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Re:M.O.T.
Given that Ermintrude has been waxoyled since the day she left the showroom I'm not going to be removing the coating from the pipes just to avoid an advisory. It's like a lot of other things, common sense is being marginalised through fear of repercussions.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
01 Dec 2018 06:14 #198460 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Re:M.O.T.
Furthermore there's no such thing as an advisory any more it's dangerous, serious and minor faults. An anti corrosion coating on a component isn't a fault. Its a not able to inspect akin to a plastic under tray or similar. But because of the terrible way in which the new test is worded its put down as a minor fault which looks a lot worse than it is ,especially through the lens of prospective purchase.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
01 Dec 2018 09:20 - 01 Dec 2018 09:24 #198465 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Re:M.O.T.
I think I'm with you on that Lambert; my 70s Midget is caked in Waxoyl from when I first owned it at 6 months old, and is probably twice its original weight with the amount I've pumped into it over the years :laugh:
I've taken various bits and bobs off it since getting it back recently, and the Waxoyl has done it's job; nothing welded together with rust - just comes apart like it was only put together - not bad for a 39 year old (British Leyland) car.

I did have to cx some brake lines though - although they passed MOT without any advisories, II personally didn't like the look of them where they met the unions so they had to go. I don't believe the MOT tester missed them.

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 01 Dec 2018 09:24 by Max Headroom.

• GRAYWOLF
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Dec 2018 11:29 #198614 by GRAYWOLF
Replied by GRAYWOLF on topic Re:M.O.T.
Totally agree, i am keen, to the point of obsessive, re; brakes..my 2 x motorcycles have braided lines throughout, and the Jimny has, wherever feasible, but, nowadays you never know..testing stations, while they should all read from the same page, they obviously do not.!!
My last mot it said, advisory, under vehicle 'age related corrosion'..its an 05..for chrissake, and has rusty bits here and there, but no rot..and corrosion, as i understand the word..
when i queried it, he said they have to put that, as it shows rusting on various places, ie; the radius arms..which, arent rusty, but had surface bits here and there, havent now, all been done with anti corrosive chassis paint..but, they are a bit grubby, after being out in crap weather yesterday!..lol.

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds