BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

How reliable is a jimny

• Grainfoot
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Nov 2018 22:49 - 07 Nov 2018 22:51 #197444 by Grainfoot
How reliable is a jimny was created by Grainfoot
Had our Jinny now for about 2 months. Use on roads and farm tracks, fields. How reliable are they, ours seems fine at moment hopefully we bought a good one.
Ours is a 2011 version, what are main problems if any . It's done less than 20000 miles, engine seems brilliant although on start up seems slow to turn over. Battery is tiny not surprised. Drives well no wheel wobble only other thing is high clutch pedal biting point, is this normal.
Last edit: 07 Nov 2018 22:51 by Grainfoot.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Nov 2018 00:06 #197446 by jimkyx
Replied by jimkyx on topic How reliable is a jimny
Mine is a 2012 had it from 6 months old. Only ever let me down once. It was Xmas and I had to move it up the drive to make some space. It was a start stop move and afterwards I could not get it to start for the next 4 days. My start up is just the same it cranks over several times before firing up. Never had a problem with hot start.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grainfoot

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
08 Nov 2018 05:07 #197449 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic How reliable is a jimny
Both ours are 2011s and both have been very reliable if I exclude the badly repaired accident damage Ermintrude has suffered. Regular thorough maintenance is the key.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
08 Nov 2018 06:20 #197450 by Max Headroom
Hello Grainfoot.

Mine is an older 2006 vehicle and has given me no real trouble (I've owned it almost a year now) and as others have said, proper/preventative maintenance keeps you moving.
I've had some issues which were brakes shaking me to death (has been for many months) but fixed that with a disc and pad overhaul and changed the caliper sliders which I think were the real cause of the shaking, (I'm now preparing to cx the track rod ends and any front suspension bushes I suspect of being worn).
I had a small leak from the ill-placed thermostat housing - a really horrible job.
My battery is noticeably slower turning the engine over in the recent cold weather - just as it was last winter, but it isnt struggling to light the fires, yet, so I'm monitoring that for now.
Finally just a couple of weeks back had the clutch cx'd by Mr Clutch of Swindon.
They're Nationwide outfit, and the job cost me £255. I was very very pleased they seem quick but thorough. The reason I had the clutch done was the biting point was high, AND if I so much as touched my foot on the clutch will driving I could perceive it was slipping. It transpired it was indeed very worn.

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

More
08 Nov 2018 19:52 #197480 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic How reliable is a jimny
They're exceptionally reliable if maintained. So with it turning over slowly, get a new battery but one with a higher CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) rating than standard. I put a massive battery on m8ne for winching and starting and it flies over now, whereas it was starting to slow down.

They just suffer with rust. Regular washing down and proper under-sealing is key.

Other than the kingpin bearings needing changing sometimes and may be the odd wheel bearing as they get more miles on them, they're fine. None of this will mean it will let you down.

Get manual free wheeling hubs though as you sound like you'll rely on the 4wd working.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
08 Nov 2018 20:19 #197484 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic How reliable is a jimny
I would say they are exceptionally reliable. There are certainly no surprises that will catch you out and apart from wear and tear, you can count the common failures on one hand- kingpin bearings, crank position sensor, gearboxes on 2005-~2009 models if they haven't been reconditioned already, ummm.... the seatbelts can get a bit slow to retract?

The clutch cable is adjustable so if the bite point is high get underneath and slacken off the adjuster nut until you have 10mm of free play at the pedal.

If your battery is getting weak it needs replacing. It's probably the original, and at 7 years old and on a low mileage car it won't have had the easiest life. I wouldn't count that as a reliability issue though.

More
09 Nov 2018 22:48 - 09 Nov 2018 22:49 #197535 by Foxtrot
Replied by Foxtrot on topic How reliable is a jimny

jimkyx wrote: Mine is a 2012 had it from 6 months old. Only ever let me down once. It was Xmas and I had to move it up the drive to make some space. It was a start stop move and afterwards I could not get it to start for the next 4 days. My start up is just the same it cranks over several times before firing up. Never had a problem with hot start.

I had the same problem with a two year old Jimny, I just moved it a few yards and then couldn't start it afterwards. I called out the recovery service and the guy knew what the problem was. To start it he put his foot hard down on the accelerator and the turned the key. He said that this scenario was a common problem for modern cars.
Last edit: 09 Nov 2018 22:49 by Foxtrot.

More
09 Nov 2018 23:35 #197536 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic How reliable is a cvjimny
^^^^^^Yep not just Jimny... Wife called AA to Micra that would not start after I had moved it a few yards one morning. Same cure, foot to the floor until it started. In the old days it was called "flooding"the engine with the choke, who remembers them?
We just dont expect this with fuel injection, but it does happen from time to time when the sensors are half warm / cold and the ECU picks the wrong map.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
10 Nov 2018 17:39 #197547 by facade
Replied by facade on topic How reliable is a cvjimny
The foot fully down thing usually puts the ecu into a "flooded engine recovery" mode, and stops the injection whilst the pedal is down to try and clear excess fuel.

You should never run a "modern" car for less than a couple of minutes or it won't start again.

It will be in the handbook.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
10 Nov 2018 19:59 #197553 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic How reliable is a cvjimny
The foot down thing is relevant if you start it and stop it soon after but the OP is experiencing slow turning over when cold, not this.

If you are going to move it only a few yards though, rev it slightly before switching it off so it slows down without the injectors squirting fuel. The revs it takes to stop without fuel still draws air through to clear any excess fuel out of the combustion chamber and dry the plugs. Not too good for the cat but don't do it too often and it'll be ok.

I have my garage keys on a clip so I can take them off the ignition key to lock the garage with the Jimny running. I avoid moving it just a few yards and turning it off this way. My garage is set back far enough on the drive for me to not risk someone jumping in it and nicking it and I live in a nice area. It's also on my land, so I'm not breaking the law.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
12 Nov 2018 08:59 #197602 by laikathedog
Replied by laikathedog on topic How reliable is a jimny
Used daily for commute for 6 years.
Utterly bullet proof.. can take any abuse
Only failure was a pulley damper collapsed.

Time to create page: 0.190 seconds