BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

New here

• Cremator1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Oct 2018 16:02 #196935 by Cremator1
New here was created by Cremator1
Hi all new here think I found the right place I hope for help we’ll looking to buy a jimny don’t want to spend thousands say upto £6500
Would like auto but not sure how they will cope in snow as I live in country and do a lot of field sports it will mainly be used in winter and bad weather.as I have another car for the summer months I live in Kent and wonder if any one local to me many thanks for any help dawn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
21 Oct 2018 16:09 #196936 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic New here
Hi Dawn,

Welcome along. Sorry I can help with sourcing a Jimny, as im at the other end of the country, but you might find the info in this link helpful...

www.bigjimny.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Buying_a_Jimny

Riccy ;-)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• Cremator1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Oct 2018 16:22 #196938 by Cremator1
Replied by Cremator1 on topic New here
Hi ya ok will have a look at that it’s not so much finding one is the auto ok on them

• Cremator1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Oct 2018 19:43 #196946 by Cremator1
What do you think of the auto over the manual

More
21 Oct 2018 23:08 - 21 Oct 2018 23:09 #196948 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic New here
Hi
Before I purchased our Jimny we test drove a 2015 auto for a few hours. It was a nice enough drive around town, but above 40 mph it struggled to accelerate, lots of revs, not much go. Joining a local dual carriageway to test it at speed just confirmed this further. It was foot in the carpet acceleration for what seemed an eternity to get it to 50mph. I had a requirement to tow a trailer, so this test drive made me doubt a Jimny could pull it.
We then tested a 2009 (same engine) manual and by comparison it performed much better. It appeared to rev less and accelerate quicker to 50mph. It was even possible to get it to accelerate to 70mph (steady now!) without any fuss, something that felt impossible to achieve during our auto test drive.
We subsequently purchased this Jimny and have owned it now for the last 10 months. It has been great fun to own and is used daily for all our transport needs, even towing our 450kg trailer without any issues.

I can't give you any feedback on the difference between the two in off road conditions, but on road the characteristics are very different. For me the manual box gave a better driving experience, but this is of course just my humble opinion. I suggest if you can get a drive in both before you decide. What I do know for sure is you will love the Jimny, great fun, makes you smile a lot.

Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 21 Oct 2018 23:09 by Scimike.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
22 Oct 2018 02:48 #196950 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic New here
We have one of each both from the same year. The automatic one is definitely slower but for pottering about it's much more relaxed to drive. Last winter it was also more predictable in the snow we had as it puts the power in much more smoothly. The same is true of off road it creeps about just lovely. One thing of note, when we first got it there was so much slack in the accelerator cable that it wouldn't rev past 4k rpm and was changing gears at about 3750. Two minutes with the spanners and it revs to 6000 and changes gear properly. Oh and it doesn't like trailers, even little ones it slows right down on any sort of incline.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Cremator1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Oct 2018 19:26 #196965 by Cremator1
Hi thank u both for that I think auto will be ok for me as only using it for snow and off road if I need speed got a Mercedes slk in garage lol just got to find one now dawn

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds