BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

The Jimny smile maker

More
19 Oct 2018 20:49 #196878 by kirkynut
I've been using my Jimny more often these days for transport as I quite enjoy it, my 2 year old boy likes to ride in Daddy's Tractor and it doesn't do a vehicle good to not be used.

For those not familiar with it, here it is:

It has become quite popular as I plod about. I can be heard before I'm seen as those Malatesta Kaiman tyres hum along. This its self causes people to look round.

I took it to Tesco to do the weekly shop last set of rest days and slowed for a chap to cross the zebra crossing in the car park. He stared at me and smiled, slowing as he crossed and waved at me. He kept looking at me after he'd crossed and I looked at him, trying to work out if I knew him. I didn't know him but as I passed him he said to me through my open window "cool car!".

Today I was taking my little one to my parents for dinner. It was school kicking out time, so a dual carriageway outside a secondary school queued for a roundabout as all the kids used the crossing. Some way back from the roundabout two fire engines started to approach on blues and twos from some distance bebind. To help them get through as no-one else had noticed them I sounded my claxton horn and flashed my main beams with driving lamps to get the attention of those in front and drove most of the way onto the verge central reservation. It worked and the traffic parted early for them. Once they had passed, a lady in a car next to me looked up at me with a beaming smile.

Driving past the Senior school, then an Infants/Junior school a number of young kids waved and smiled at the mini monster truck with howling tyres.

Now you I don't get any of this in my BMW. The Jimny is just great fun!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Oct 2018 21:24 #196880 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic The Jimny smile maker
Puts a smile on my face every time I drive it, loveable little car that can be an old ladies shopping trolley or a Paris-Dakkar contender....

sniper

More
19 Oct 2018 21:34 #196881 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic The Jimny smile maker
I tend to find they have a claiming effect on people. They can't be described as fast, so as I meander upto the speed limit and just plod along people for the most part are just happy to follow. In my old BMW/VW every day was like a race.
So I got rid of the BMW / VW and got a Jimny, a vehicle I wanted in my head for a number of years but never purchased due to its performance figures. It joins our just for fun 1960 Series 2 Land Rover and 1986 2CV, but as our daily drive and tow vehicle for our teardrop caravan.

Every journey puts a smile on my face and my wife loves driving it also. I enjoy working on it rather than shelling out £££££ to dealers and garages just to keep the tech laden modern junk on the road. The VW was the final nail in the coffin for me and modern junk, it had multiple DPF, Sensor, canbus and emissions scandal issues.

I am not going to say they are for everyone, but they do make me smile and thats all that matters. :laugh:

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
20 Oct 2018 03:22 #196884 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic The Jimny smile maker
Due to drying times and other things I have been relegated to the Cherokee most of this week. The smile on my face from driving Ermintrude the 5 miles home last night still hasn't faded even this morning. I love my car.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
08 Nov 2018 19:58 #197481 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic The Jimny smile maker
Another smile made today with a big thumbs up from a guy in the passenger seat of a car as I got out onto the main road from mine this morning.

It really is a fun for all car!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
08 Nov 2018 21:01 - 08 Nov 2018 21:03 #197491 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic The Jimny smile maker

Scimike wrote: It joins our just for fun 1960 Series 2 Land Rover and 1986 2CV, but as our daily drive and tow vehicle for our teardrop caravan.

I enjoy working on it rather than shelling out £££££ to dealers and garages just to keep the tech laden modern junk on the road. The VW was the final nail in the coffin for me and modern junk, it had multiple DPF, Sensor, canbus and emissions scandal issues.

Scimike, I had no idea you had a 2CV as well - another hugely underrated car in my opinion. I'm very envious.
I had a Plums & Custard one some years ago and regretted selling it. It was superb in the snow and got me about when others were stuck; I'd have another one anyday!

I'm 100% with you on being able to work on your own cars etc and not having to shell out for huge garage fees because of all the overcomplicated computerised modern krapp attached to it.

I sold a fabulous SAAB convertible for this Jimny of mine; and while I really miss the wonderfully comfortable SAAB seats, the hugely powerful smooth ride, and fully open-topped motoring, I love the Jimny for my shorter commute and it's rugged very capable nature.

I would like to think that Suzuki can keep the "New" Jimny simple and as user-friendly to work on. If they ever make a convertible variant - I will be very tempted...

:evil:

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 08 Nov 2018 21:03 by Max Headroom.

More
09 Nov 2018 19:12 #197526 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic The Jimny smile maker

Scimike wrote: It joins our just for fun 1960 Series 2 Land Rover and 1986 2CV, but as our daily drive and tow vehicle for our teardrop caravan.

Kindred spirits! I passed my driving test in my dad's 2CV and my first car was a 1963 S2a land rover. Although I've never really warmed to the looks of the current Jimny, I love the new one and in my head it has always been a mashup of the 2CV and Series Landys, with all the charm intact!

More
10 Nov 2018 18:07 #197548 by Scimike
Thanks chaps, kindred spirits we appear to be.
Had a 2CV when I got married back in the 80's as the wife wanted one. I was dead against it myself at the time, but got one just to prove to her she would hate it. Well I was wrong, she loved it and over time the car won me over and got under my skin. Unfortunately sold it when my son was born, needed a "safe" car, but we allways regretted this sale. 10 years ago we stumbled across a Plums and Custard for sale and snapped it up.....we are never letting this one go!

The Jimnys a " Modern " series 2A and I think thats why we both like it, they both drive very similar, but the Jimny has it on comfort :laugh:

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
10 Nov 2018 18:27 - 10 Nov 2018 18:29 #197550 by Max Headroom
Scimilke - at risk of hijacking this thread, (:lol:) any photos of the 2CV?

I've got a photo of mine kicking around somewhere, with a tree in it!

Last edit: 10 Nov 2018 18:29 by Max Headroom.

More
10 Nov 2018 22:13 - 10 Nov 2018 22:17 #197554 by Scimike
Sorry Kirkynut, just a slight detour, but still cars that make you smile. I will include a piccy of my Jimny later to put this thread back on track

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Both are good in snow!
They both live at home with our Jimny....:cheer:

Last edit: 10 Nov 2018 22:17 by Scimike.

More
10 Nov 2018 23:46 #197559 by Scimike
And finally introducing "Jimbob" our daily transport and smile maker. We had always wanted a Jimny but followed our head and ended up with a modern VW TDI Polo. It was economical, quite, comfortable and loaded with gizmos. Its was also utterly boring to drive, dull with a big helping of more VW dull, and totally unreliable. Every time it went wrong I found it needed VW special tool or some expensive sensor, so when VW told us they had lied about the emissions (thanks VW) we decided enough was enough.

So we got Jimbob and have been smiling ever since.:laugh:

Here it is showing how much camping (GLAMPING) equipment you can get in or on such a small vehicle. Our small caravan is also nestled in our camp.

Attachment not found

This is camp Scimike at the BMFA Model Aircraft Nations at RAF Barkstone Heath this year.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Max Headroom

More
11 Nov 2018 01:24 - 11 Nov 2018 01:26 #197561 by Max Headroom
My brother had an O2 Jimny a few years back - he was quite into his Jimny but gave it up for a Suzi SX when his son got older. He was surprised when I got my Jimny but is always looking around it when we meet up.
I was always astonished how much camping gear he got in his too!

Excellent pic of the Deux Chevaux - mine had a plain custard coloured roof rather than a striped one, and I fitted some of those bull-bars with the mesh in the front one - painted in plums colour to match.
The Landy looks at home in the snow.
I used to drive around in a series 3 when I was in the RAF. I wouldn't mind a Series 3 Lightweight for nostalgias sake but I know very little about them and imagine them to be pricey to keep and run - Jeez they were basic though!
The longest journey I did was in a long wheelbase series 3 from RAF Odiham in Hants to Scotland for some excerise, towing a tool trailer. It was a 24V helistart job and broke down with the eelectrics getting weaker and weaker and the lights going dim in the dark as we got near to our destination, some plug had come of this odd looking generator thing! :lol:
During that trip my engineering officer wrecked it and it had to be carried back under a Chinnok heli. I flew back in a Puma Helicopter (dangerous things helicopters in my opinion)

I think perhaps I'll just stick to the rather more refined Jimnys for now!

Last edit: 11 Nov 2018 01:26 by Max Headroom.

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds