BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Jimny Heating and other camping gear

More
04 Oct 2018 07:56 #196490 by yakuza
After spending a weekend sleeping in the car I have been thinking about doing more of it.
I was so surprised to find that sleeping in the car was great!
So i have allready plans for making a fold-down shelf on the tailgate, getting a better mattress, lights inside, 12v connection in the back++

But Norway can get cold. Very cold.
My winter sleeping bag have kept me warm in a self dug snow cave and snowed in tents and even outside in the winter in the mountains.
But that is more like staying alive and not particularly comfy.
Wool clothing and good shoes and all is of course obligatory.
Also in wet weather some sort of heating would be nice.

I have been looking at different heater solutions and of course a webasto or ebersprächer is the best option.
But expensive and maybe a bit overkill for a small jimny.
I allready have installed DEFA electric heater both for the engine block and a fan for the inside but they need 230v outlet.
Butane and propane systems are a bit hazardous and produce condensation. and too big.

Is there any heating system i have overlooked?

Other camping tips?

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Oct 2018 14:13 - 04 Oct 2018 14:14 #196494 by Scimike
I have a made in china ebay copy of a ebersprächer heater, its a 2kw diesel version and has variable heat output. It cost me £400 with the install kit and its been great. It heats my small caravan and tent with not issues and is a number of years old and still going strong.
I did have to fit the optional exhaust and inlet silencers as it sounds like a jet engine when running without these.
A friend has one on his Series Land Rover also which he uses to heat it when he sleeps in the back.
You are going to need a small diesel tank and maybe a split or larger battery to keep the 12v fan running all night.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 04 Oct 2018 14:14 by Scimike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yakuza

More
04 Oct 2018 17:12 - 04 Oct 2018 17:13 #196496 by yakuza
I have had two VW's (T4 and T5) with webasto wich both have had the need for servicing so i know those systems pretty well.
Still think they are overkill both in sence of what space they need and how much heat they can produce. Got an extra battery in my VW T5 now.
Great system with radio remote as well.
Agreed they need both silencers and an extra battery :)
Had to change a rusted silencer on my old T4 Webasto and the burner. Changed the combustion fan on my T5.
No problem to fix them once you get them out of the cars.
Would rather have a diesel burner and the extra tank than the gas version.

But still i would like something smaller i think, how big is your heater physically approx.?

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 04 Oct 2018 17:13 by yakuza.

More
04 Oct 2018 19:56 #196500 by Busta
I wonder if there is a way you can use the existing cabin fan and heater matrix, and add an auxillary water heater in the engine bay? That way you remove the issues with condensation, and save a lot of space. You would however need some kind of water heater, a small pump and an auxillary battery to run it.

I do lots of winter camping, often travelling by motorcycle, so I am forced to take the alternative approach of insulating my body with sufficient clothing that I do not rely on any other heat source. It is a different sort of challenge, but I love the feeling of being toasty and warm whilst still being fully exposed to the environment.

More
04 Oct 2018 20:26 #196505 by Scimike
Yakuza .....My heater is approximately 110 x 110 x 350mm, going from memory. Dont think its going to be smaller as its a china rip off of a webasto 2000 stc diesel heater...

Busta.....you can get engine preheaters that keep the water warm, but the draw a few amps and are more suited to a mains hookup or generator.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
05 Oct 2018 03:27 #196506 by Lambert
When I had my 3 door discovery I had a separate leisure battery and 4 of those cheap ceramic heater things in various places in the cabin. Even in what passes for winter in the UK I never needed more than a summer sleeping bag and mostly that was overkill.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
05 Oct 2018 06:10 #196509 by yakuza

Busta wrote: I wonder if there is a way you can use the existing cabin fan and heater matrix, and add an auxillary water heater in the engine bay? That way you remove the issues with condensation, and save a lot of space. You would however need some kind of water heater, a small pump and an auxillary battery to run it.

That is how my Webasto works in the VW T5. It is even connected to the CanBus.
The Webasto runs on diesel and an aux battery, and warms the water in the engine and circulate it.
It ends up in the cars heater and the fan inside starts. Great system! But a bit overkill with a such a webasto in the Jimny :)

Clothing is of course an alternative and a good one. But i would like it more cosy and comfy :)
I can just start the engine when i am awake i guess.

Lambert: I have always looked at the 12v ceramic heaters as more or less a hoax. They actually heat? :)

Scimike: Does it have to be placed inside the cabin or can it be placed under the car and run the heat tubes thru the floor?

More
05 Oct 2018 14:18 - 05 Oct 2018 14:23 #196517 by Scimike
Mine (on caravan) is external and the hot air is ducted inside via tubes. I have a combination of silicon tube and plastic drain pipe to duct the air, my mates is inside his Series Land rover. Only the thermostat / controller is inside the caravan.
Mine is protected by an aluminium box to keey the rain away from it.

Last edit: 05 Oct 2018 14:23 by Scimike.

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds