BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Got questions about the new Jimny?

More
02 Oct 2018 15:19 #196440 by Foxtrot

Lambert wrote: Have they addressed and if so how, the reliability of the king pin bearings?

This question is a big one for me, after owning 4 Jimnys from new the kingpin bearings were been renewed under warranty usually on the 2nd service.....:blink:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Oct 2018 21:58 - 03 Oct 2018 07:19 #196454 by Scimike
Based on similarities in the gearbox ratios and towing limits that are starting to emerge, does the new Jimny utilise the existing VVT Jimny Chassis and running gear?
New Suziki motorcycles tend to raid the existing parts bin, its a way of keeping development costs down.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 03 Oct 2018 07:19 by Scimike.

• AlexK
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Oct 2018 07:45 #196459 by AlexK
Replied by AlexK on topic Got questions about the new Jimny?

Scimike wrote: Based on similarities in the gearbox ratios and towing limits that are starting to emerge, does the new Jimny utilise the existing VVT Jimny Chassis and running gear?

Certainly from the language Suzuki have been using, it seems safe to say the new model builds on the previous one, rather than being 'all-new.'

So far, we know the chassis incorporates a new x-member plus two new cross-members for increased torsional rigidity, the eight body mounts have been redesigned, the front stabiliser bar is thicker, the front axle housing is made from 'more robust' high tensile steel, and the rear axle is of a larger diameter with 30% higher 'flexural strength.'

Attachments:

More
03 Oct 2018 08:20 #196460 by facade
Seems like they are fixing a chassis problem we never had, what are those rust-trap boxes on the side rails for?

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
03 Oct 2018 09:36 #196462 by Jezz
I would imagine but could well be wrong, That all the chassis tweeks are for it to try and get a better n-cap safety rating.

It's been fettled just a tad.

More
03 Oct 2018 10:08 #196465 by yakuza
The similarity in the transfer case gearing, and the design of the lever makes me think the electric VVT actuator is just replaced by the manual lever that do work in the same shift pattern.
It might even be possible to change the old actuator to the new lever on our old VVT's.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
21 Oct 2018 02:05 #196918 by zukebob
Apparently without anyone knowing, Suzuki Philippines smuggled several of the new Jimnys here for a dog and pony show.

New Jimny is Here

The were put on display at a country club in Laguna which is supposed to be near a Suzuki facility.

The bigger news is that the real reason they are SUPPOSED to be here is for displaying at the 2018 Philippines International Motor Show (I'm sure everyone has heard of that one). The show is next Wednesday through Sunday. I feel compelled to go with camera in hand. Although I am skeptical that they will have anyone that can handle in-depth technical questions, I will sift through this post to pick up as many as I can. If anyone has more, they are welcome to add them here. Aside from that, we wait for Alex.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left
The following user(s) said Thank You: AlexK

• gokturkmehmet
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Oct 2018 19:09 #196984 by gokturkmehmet
Replied by gokturkmehmet on topic Got questions about the new Jimny?
1- Front hubs are activated by vacuum? Any changes?
2- Engine fan is electric?
3- Corrosion properties are different or not?
4- How does it feel "door shut" sound? Better or worse?
5- Tail lights? Led or halogen?

More
23 Oct 2018 22:55 #196989 by zukebob
On my way to the 2018 PIMS this morning (Philippine time). Glad I checked the posts before going. I'll ask.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left

• Totoro
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Nov 2018 08:49 #197889 by Totoro
Replied by Totoro on topic Got questions about the new Jimny?
Can you ask Suzuki UK to confirm that the only non metallic colour available will be white and if that is correct, why the UK is to only market not getting jungle green and medium grey.
Cheers

• AlexK
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Nov 2018 09:46 #197893 by AlexK

Totoro wrote: Can you ask Suzuki UK to confirm that the only non metallic colour available will be white and if that is correct, why the UK is to only market not getting jungle green and medium grey.
Cheers

Yes, on my list. Seems a strange omission.

• AlexK
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Nov 2018 15:46 #198278 by AlexK
As promised, I'll do my best to answer the questions that came up.

MadsV wrote: Future engines to expect?

Currently there are no plans to change the engine line-up. In particular, I pressed the issue of why the SHVS mild-hybrid set-up wasn't considered. The answer is that SHVS will be developed for other models in the range, but there are no plans to include it on Jimny. However, they did go on to say that it isn't out of the question for consideration in the longer term.

jim wrote: Have they improved the rustproofing?

Officially, no specific changes over the previous model. However, I crawled around underneath one and there appeared to be plenty of factory-applied stonechip on the chassis and inside the wheel wells. Looked far better than my Hilux, that's for sure.

Lambert wrote: Have they addressed and if so how, the reliability of the king pin bearings?

They say a change was made to the previous Jimny late in its production run and this has been carried over to the new one.

zukebob wrote: Since the current Jimny automatic transmission is only rated at a maximum torque input of 114.5 Nm, has Suzuki worked with Aisin Warner to somehow upgrade the specs in this new model?

I didn't ask this specifically, but the press blurb does suggest it has been internally revised for greater efficiency. What I can say is that I drove the auto very briefly and would describe it as 'disappointing.'

Caelite wrote: Same towing capacities too, good to know, no doubt Scottish farmers will still be chucking 2 tons on the back of them & driving to town when their Landys break.

Just fancied pointing that until fairly recently, the Jeep Wrangler had a tow rating only just over a ton - it was reduced artificially to achieve a better CO2 rating. Technically that meant it was illegal to recover a stuck Wrangler on a byway with another Wrangler, as it exceeded its rating, but it also means a Jimny can technically tow more than most JK Wranglers. Suzuki seemed chuffed when my colleague dropped that into the conversation.

gokturkmehmet wrote: 1- Front hubs are activated by vacuum? Any changes?
2- Engine fan is electric?
3- Corrosion properties are different or not?
4- How does it feel "door shut" sound? Better or worse?
5- Tail lights? Led or halogen?

1. Front hubs still vacuum operated.

2. Forgot to look at the fan but almost certainly electric; thought I heard it running on one as it came back into the car park, but that was the only time I heard fan noise. Certainly didn't seem to come on during our off-road stint.

3. See above.

4. Been a long time since I last drove the old Jimny so can't speak with authority on that, but doors seemed to shut very solidly to me. Tailgate especially so. No wobble on the spare tyre, so I wouldn't be worried about putting a larger tyre on it. Gas strut means it's assisted opening, too.

5. Tail lights are conventional bulbs. Only LEDs appear to be headlights on the SZ5, everything else conventional.

Totoro wrote: Can you ask Suzuki UK to confirm that the only non metallic colour available will be white and if that is correct, why the UK is to only market not getting jungle green and medium grey.

Confirmed white is the only 'free' colour. Jungle Green and Medium Grey not available because, as I suspected, they want to maximise availability on the remaining six. They didn't say this, but I would imagine as the supply/demand situation eases, other colours would become available.

Other info I asked for: Suzuki are still working out the best way to distribute the limited supply, and this information will be communicated to dealers shortly. Dealers will only get one demo unit and they'll be expected to run that unit longer than they normally would.

Non-refundable deposits are most definitely not Suzuki GB policy, so any dealer asking for one should be told to cram it.

I asked about the possibility of a commercial version - at the moment, no plans, but the requirements for this are under consideration.

Details of the accessory range will be made available before the end of the year. Sounds like we'll get a lot of it.

30kg roof rack weight limit is the limit of the roof structure, rather than the rack. Personally I wouldn't want that amount of weight high up anyway.

Hope that goes some way towards answering people's questions. If you're interested to read what I thought of it overall, one of my reviews is available here: www.testdriven.co.uk/2019-suzuki-jimny-review/

If you asked something and I've missed it out, please shout.

Time to create page: 0.195 seconds