BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Advice needed on Jimny I viewed.

More
27 Sep 2018 18:48 - 27 Sep 2018 19:07 #196318 by Lomax
Evening gents,

Looking for some advice on a jimny I went to view this evening. It’s pretty rusty... but is it too far gone? It’s been plated in some main structural areas. However there is some holes at the rear which I think is where the chassis mounts to the body. Please correct me if I am wrong? Should I walk away based on the pictures? It’s a 2001 model. To note the boot floor has been cut out and a plate welded in.
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Sep 2018 19:07 by Lomax.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Sep 2018 19:46 #196321 by Scimike
If its the first you have looked at go and have a look at a few others first. The rust you can see will be a lot worse once you start trying to fix it. Thats the other issue, can you weld or are you going to pay someone?
If its dirt cheap and you can weld may be worth a punt for an off road vehicle, but if its expensive and you cant weld walk away.
Looks bad to me,, those with 2001 models please comment..

Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
27 Sep 2018 19:58 - 27 Sep 2018 19:59 #196322 by Lomax
Mike,

Thanks for the reply. I actually already have a 2009 model which is pretty fresh. But it’s the wife’s. I want one for the winter to run to work in as we live in the country.

This is the first I have seen, but I am struggling to find local. All seem to have reports of rust.

This is a pic of what the area should look like.
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Sep 2018 19:59 by Lomax.

More
27 Sep 2018 21:46 #196325 by Scimike
Rust is a real issue on the Jimny in my humble opion. It does appear to target the same areas, but is not consistent from vehicle to vehicle. Thats why I would look again, but I do appreciate they are scarce on the ground.
I looked at lots and covered many miles before I purchased our 2009 model. Looking at the various rusty examples, including a brand new one with visable chassis rust, I concluded the best option was to go as new as possible. Even the one I purchased had surface rust in the usual places which I treated this year. I actually found a rot hole in the passenger side front body mount, under the headlamp, all nicely hidden by the plastic wheel arch liner. Interestingly the drivers side was ok!
So take a close look. Good luck hunting.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
29 Sep 2018 21:08 #196369 by kirkynut
I wouldn't touch that one. It's awful.

There's much better ones out there but all will have some rust at that age.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds