BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Sunday 7th October - Lakes Laning (Day Trip)

More
08 Oct 2018 08:23 - 08 Oct 2018 08:42 #196551 by sniper
A cracking day out with a great bunch of people.......

The lanes were fantastic and some of the tarmac sections were as good, the single lane tracks around the lakes are a good day out by themselves...

Town Yeat was something akin to an expedition through Borneo jungles, still not sure that there is in fact a lane, I could only see it at the start and the end. The middle was just a wall of brush, the first time I have driven through anything like it. It sounded like a thousand fingernails being dragged across a blackboard, my poor paint..... Yes it claimed my nearside wing mirror. A bit of T-cut and all will be well...... who am I kidding lol.

Cant wait to see the blogs and my little car in action, it certainly performed far better than I expected. Due to a lack of 4L on the transfer box, Brett suggested that I skip two sections and I rode them with Jack and that was great fun too.. and a wise bit of advice, a modified box is on the shopping list.... These jimny's are like mountain goats with a super low ratio transfer box.

sniper
Attachments:
Last edit: 08 Oct 2018 08:42 by sniper.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Oct 2018 14:19 #196554 by X8GGY
Indeed, a great day out with a great bunch of people (minus our Alan)...

Blog will be done on Wednesday this week due to other commitments, but here's some teaser photos featuring Sniper's Jimny following us almost everywhere...

Emerging from 'Town Yeat' featured in the videos earlier in this thread... can't believe Sniper and JackOnlyJack both followed us down here! :lol:

Arnside

Grizedale

Great to have you both along guys! Great trip! B)
Attachments:

More
08 Oct 2018 14:33 - 08 Oct 2018 14:33 #196555 by X8GGY
LOL :lol: that video of "Gardening Lane" is excellent ;)

The lady from the house at the top came out for a chat and said she'd lived there for fourteen years and had never seen any vehicles go down it... but it was a road, a UCR with ORPA dots, we'd had the nod from the council's RoW team, Brett walked it and decided it was do'able... with a little help from 'Buzz' my cordless chainsaw... and, more to the point, she contented to us driving it if we really wanted to... I think she thought we were mad!

UCR = Unclassified County Road
ORPA= Other Route with Public Access
RoW = Right of Way
Last edit: 08 Oct 2018 14:33 by X8GGY.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
08 Oct 2018 15:46 - 09 Oct 2018 16:57 #196560 by Riccy
:laugh: yeah I couldnt remember what it was called, so named it on the main activity involved with getting down it. Dont know how you lot got down there before me, maybe you were less precious of the snorkel & paint!

Sniper - you need some of them wing mirrors jack has, no way they were getting broken off! Did you retrieve the bit that got pulled off? My paint seems to have faired better than yours, but I chose not to go back up Town Yeat. Once was enough for me!

The rest of my vids are up on youtube now. search for LDBO2018 or Riccy G and you should find them. Mostly vids of the back of Jack's Jimny, but theres some bits of Holmshead farm you can see Sniper going for it up the bumpy bits :-)

Jack had absolutely no trouble getting around the lanes. Joel and I kept thinking he was our laning mate Colin in his red rooster jimny. You guys need to go out on some of Dave/Brett's trips around N.Wales. Very good fun around there :-). Theres a nice route from Oldham to Holmfirth as well, which should be a lot more local for you.

What sort of navigation software were you (Sniper and Jack) using? Brett is a bit keen for shooting off at the end of a lane and loosing the convoy sometimes. Easily done, but you need to have the route on something like memory map, viewranger, OS maps, etc to keep up.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
Last edit: 09 Oct 2018 16:57 by Riccy. Reason: Upset Brett by calling him a nuisance, Sorry mate ;-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: jackonlyjack

More
08 Oct 2018 16:33 #196562 by jackonlyjack
Firstly I would like to thank you guys for the day
navigation Riccy erm none on that trip lol
I have memory map on my phone but no phone holder and me and technology that's another thing lol
town yeat was a doddle and nice and wide.........compared to that gardening named lane
i'm sure I had no dents before I went in :laugh: :laugh: just glad I still had windows on the way out.......hell yes I would drive it again....
I keep getting a random wobble
had a new valve fitted today so I have a spare that holds air ;)

More
09 Oct 2018 00:05 #196579 by sniper
I'd hoped to get the chance to ask you about navigation stuff, I'm planning on joining GLASS now and have a spare iPad to run their mapping gizmo.
Also wanted to ask about an iPad mount, I'm sure I remember you guys talking about them?

I took my litter home with me, like a good countryside user should and it included a big black mirror.... I think the rain got to the wires and blew a dash light fuse on the way home. Jack thinks he's got a mirror and is going to have a look for me.

I'm pleased to have avoided any panel damage on Town Yeat, the scratches look a little better after a wash, but not much, lol. I think I'm going to have to accept that the car is never going to look standard.

sniper
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Riccy

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
09 Oct 2018 17:10 #196593 by Riccy
Nice pics there :-). GLASS gives access to trailwise mapping database, which is great for finding lanes and planning routes, but it doesnt do navigation or route plotting/location. For that you need one of the above apps.

For the mapping I use OS-maps which is a £30/year subscription. You can download online versions of paper maps with a code to use when no signal. Its a bit patchy now and then but does the job. Its also handy on the PC for plotting routes to follow.

I think Dave and Brett use memory map, which looks like the better choice ultimately, though has a higher upfront cost.

I found the ipad got in the way so jut use it on the phone, which works for me. maybe an ipad mini would be better suited to a jimny. For mounts the best ones are RAM mounts...
www.ram-mount.co.uk/device-mounts-apple-ipad-c-360_673.html

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
The following user(s) said Thank You: sniper

More
10 Oct 2018 14:18 - 10 Oct 2018 16:01 #196635 by X8GGY
Last edit: 10 Oct 2018 16:01 by X8GGY.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, jackonlyjack, Riccy, sniper

More
10 Oct 2018 14:30 #196636 by sniper
Link not working for me Dave..... might be me...... owd git....

sniper

More
10 Oct 2018 16:02 #196637 by X8GGY

sniper wrote: Link not working for me Dave..... might be me...... owd git....

sniper

Nope, you're right, it's me... another owd git ;) Now corrected...

More
11 Oct 2018 10:16 #196656 by sniper
Excellent blog, another example of the effort that goes into your trips.

Thank you for the validation of my build too, I was very happy with the cars performance. Knowing that I had such well equipped cars with me, gave me the confidence to take on stuff that I would never do alone. The two climbs that Brett advised me to skip would have killed my clutch with no low range box, sound and gratefully received advice.

I look forward to reading about your trips in the future and maybe tagging along again.....

sniper

Time to create page: 0.195 seconds