BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Side by side half doors

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
18 Sep 2018 04:32 #196084 by Lambert
Whatcha. Would it be legal to replace the factory doors with a triangular arrangement of cds that picked up on the hinges and latch like side by side quads use? Yes I know it is going to be cold and wet but would it be legal for road use?

Cheers in advance.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Sep 2018 06:02 - 18 Sep 2018 06:03 #196085 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Side by side half doors
It used to be legal for the SJ. I got this TUV approval for it from germany.
But with the Jimny side impact bars and the strength added to the body with the door closed I think that the door is an important part of the crash resistance.
Pretty sure that this is not possible on a modern car with NCAP approval.

With the SJ there was no such thing as a crumble zone and side impact anything.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 18 Sep 2018 06:03 by yakuza.

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
18 Sep 2018 08:58 #196089 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Side by side half doors
I get what you're saying but i would argue that a cds or similar cage tube on the same mounting as the factory door is going to be stronger than the factory doors. It's not like a Jimny has a particularly good ncap rating anyway.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
18 Sep 2018 10:34 #196090 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Side by side half doors
Agreed, but here in Norway we have to prove everything and give a document that says it is ok. Cannot use any sensibility, or practical sence, just documents from supplier, manufacturer or an acknowledged laboratory or institution.

In your country this may not be the case?
Would an Insurance company really trust your own judgement on things like this?
Let's say someone falls out, wouldn't you be responible for any injuries caused by your modifications?

If compared to the SJ the Jimny doors and hinges are a way more elaborate design, and pretty obvious that they have been designed to protect the people inside. The SJ doors can hardly keep the weather out..

I might be totally wrong as i have little knowledge of british law on this of course :)

Here you would definitely loose your drivers license if you drove without the doors..

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds