BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

M13a engine light and misfire.

• walesy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Sep 2018 14:28 #195641 by walesy
M13a engine light and misfire. was created by walesy
Hi. As above. Noticed a lack of power then engine light either stays on or flashes. Idle very rough but doesn't stall.Engine still revs to redline and can still drive it and engine doesn't seem to to run any hotter.i suspect either plugs or coil pack. Does anyone know what the bosch plug number is as i can't wait to order plugs from the big jimny shop. Also is there a specific make of coil pack to order. IE denso lucas etc if the plugs aren't the problem.. Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
02 Sep 2018 17:25 #195643 by Lambert
The coil packs aren't linked directly to the eml, have you had it's codes read?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: walesy

More
02 Sep 2018 19:03 #195648 by Keithy
Can be an expensive guessing game!

Do you know anyone with a code reader.

More
02 Sep 2018 19:10 #195649 by yakuza
My coil pack failure did not give any warning light, just misfire when hot. Intermittent.
I had a G16b engine in my garage and could use the coil pack from that motor while ordering a new one, guessing they are mostly the same.
I bought the new one from ebay but those cheap ones might fry our ECM when failing.

When there is a warning light i think you most likely got a sensor issue.
Get the fault code read out as they say.
Such readers can be bought on ebay and most well stocked car supply stores.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
03 Sep 2018 07:06 #195659 by kirkynut
A code reader might tell you which cylinder is misfiring. If you then replace the coil pack for that cylinder it might solve the problem.

Otherwise pull the plugs to see which one looks bad. This way you'll see what plugs are in it.

Pop to a local motor factors for plugs and maybe a coil pack. There's loads of good motor factors out there who know their stuff.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
04 Sep 2018 07:34 #195679 by paul2u
might be worth checking the water levels in the radiator and expantion daily this is what happened to me and mine

www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/6-jimny...-cylnder-head#195173

• walesy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Sep 2018 11:54 #195684 by walesy
Replied by walesy on topic M13a engine light and misfire.
Thanks for the answers. Coolant levels OK. The reason I suspected the plugs/coils was the sound of popping and banging in exhaust downpipes. Possibly unburnt fuel. Havent has a chance do plugs yet. Code reader sounds like a good idea. Can anyone recommend a good make hopefully not too expensive. And of course where is the location where I plug it in. Thanks.

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Sep 2018 14:04 #195685 by mickt
Replied by mickt on topic M13a engine light and misfire.
Not all of the Jimnys have the OBD code reader facility?

• walesy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Sep 2018 15:17 #195686 by walesy
Picked up a cheap obd2 reader sadly looking at old forum posts I need an OBD1 reader. Hey ho.

More
04 Sep 2018 18:33 #195689 by reedx
I thought all petrol vehicles in the UK had to be complient with OBD2 from 2001 onwards?

Jimny port location www.wikiobd.co.uk/vehicle.php?vh=625

Colin

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Sep 2018 18:50 #195690 by mickt
Replied by mickt on topic M13a engine light and misfire.
I have 2 Jimnys and one is a soft top 2002 and it has not got one. The vehicle is stripped out inside for repairs and under the dash area there is no sign of one where it is supposed to be. I will check the hardtop 2001 later on and check.

• walesy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Sep 2018 15:08 #195708 by walesy
Right. might not need that reader after all. Looks like the Previous so -called mechanic owner wasn't very strong. Found three of the spark plugs were barely finger tight. No 3 cylinder (3rd from Back of engine) Spark plug snapped in half and coil broken. Had to clean bits of broken insulator out and actually turn the engine over to blow out remains of spark plug. Old plug threads are damaged and i cant get new plug in.
Looks like i'll have to try to re-tap spark plug thread in situ. The car is old and i reckon to do it properly the head'll have to come off and it'll cost too much for a garage to do it. has anyone else had to re-tap the head before?
i'm surprised the car actually ran at all. it always drove well and started first time with no unusual noises at all.

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds