BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

What comes standard and what should I fit after-market?

• StevenMark
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Jul 2018 00:53 #194705 by StevenMark
Hi there

Absolute beginner here. I live in Auckland and am considering joining a 4x4 club with my son as a father-son bonding thing :-)
I am in two minds about either buying a SWB 4x4 and use and external tent or purchase a LWB 4x4 and sleep in the back.

Anyway - if I do go with the SWB 4x4 I have decided that a Jimny-Manual-Petrol is the vehicle I want.

So as you can guess I am doing LOTS of research ... and what I have found is that in order to be effective a 4x4 vehicle needs the following:

1] Good clearance
2] Good approach and departure angles
4] Hi-Lo range
5] Lockable hubs (rear vs front is debatable - some suggest having both)

So I believe that the Jimny has the first 4 as stock (I am open to correction on this) ... but I am not sure if point 5 is something I need to have done after-the-fact? I tried to Google it but all the results talk about "Locking diffs" .. and I can't seem to find a straight answer about hubs vs diffs. Basically there needs to be way to A] Send power to both axles but keep the wheels on either axle turning independently (aka 4WD) and B] When needed - Make sure that the wheels on any particular axle are locked together so that they turn at the same rotation (Lockable hubs? -- need to be fitted after-market) - and then turn this off again when out of trouble and continue on my way - but stay in 4WD

Sorry if I am not explaining it properly

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
30 Jul 2018 04:23 - 30 Jul 2018 04:25 #194707 by Lambert
Welcome to the forum. Ok so you're on the right track but the bits you're confusing are hubs and differentials. Locking hubs are not a traction aid, they're a means of disengagement of normally the front wheels when on high grip surfaces. This is to save fuel and wear and tear on the front axle components and drive line. They are a function of the normal operations of some part time 4x4 systems.

Locking differentials are a traction aid. They facilitate removing the ability of one or more wheels to spin relative to the other wheel on the axle, meaning that if one wheel has traction the vehicle will attempt to move. Locking differentials go in either axle and in permanent 4x4 systems in the centre between the axles in the transfer box too and depending on which are fitted and engaged allow all wheels to turn at the same speed, great off road but will significantly affect the turning of the vehicle and shouldn't be engaged on high grip surfaces for risk of damaging the drive line.

A Jimny doesn't have any locking diffs as standard but they are available. A Jimny does have locking front hubs which are operated by vacuum and are notoriously fragile they are however replaceable with a much more reliable manual version.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
Last edit: 30 Jul 2018 04:25 by Lambert.
The following user(s) said Thank You: StevenMark

More
30 Jul 2018 04:30 #194708 by gv42
welcome to the forum

More
30 Jul 2018 09:18 #194713 by Gadget
The Jimny comes with locking front hubs, which part-time 4wd vehicles (like the Jimny and series land rovers) use to engage their front wheels when in 4wd mode.

The Jimny doesn't come with locking diffs, which force each wheel on an axle to rotate at the same speed, preventing you from being cross-axled with one wheel spinning uselessly in the air while the other side doesn't move.

More
30 Jul 2018 23:18 #194726 by helijohn
Hello there and welcome.
I think you'll find the Jimny is a competent vehicle enough to get in and just do it.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

More
31 Jul 2018 20:24 #194744 by kirkynut
Welcome along.

So hubs and diffs have been explained. You don't need locking diffs straight away. I don't have them and have rarely found the need.

A suspension lift and bigger tyres with a Rocklobster transfer box to reduce the ratios, along with a winch in a winch bumper and a decent rear bumper are what's needed. Perhaps an external roll cage too.

I've just described my Jimny. Look at my thread in my signature.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
31 Jul 2018 20:56 - 31 Jul 2018 20:58 #194747 by Bosanek
If you desire a no-compromise off-road vehicle which has got it all and much more than that, then the only things available a a factory standard issue are Mercedes G class and Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. There is also Toyota Land Cruiser 70 SWB with both lockable differentials, but (as far as I know) those are available only to desert sheiks (literally - only in the Arab peninsula).
All of these vehicles, if in good condition, cost like a nice little village house.

Jimny is not far away from those three regarding off road capability, and can be upgraded (at a significant cost) to match them. Regarding pure robustness and quality, well, it can never match them. But it costs 5-30 times less to buy.

If you come to the point of buying a Jimny, read this wiki article first .
Last edit: 31 Jul 2018 20:58 by Bosanek.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Aug 2018 21:00 #194771 by TomDK
The 70 series cruisers are available in a wide range of models. Troopers, pickups and others versions. Both long and short wheelbase. But lwb is by far the most common.

Still very popular in Australia, Asia and the middle East. Not long ago I saw a newer model here in Denmark, ready to be shipped to Greenland.

• Venter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Aug 2018 12:59 #194786 by Venter
LC 70 series are massively popular in Australia, and also across the whole of Africa. I'm sure they'll be easily available in New Zealand too. Note that it (surprisingly) does not have diff-lock as standard in a lot of the markets in which it is sold.

But if you're just after an introductory 4x4 to have a bit of fun in and in which to learn a lot, the a Jimny would fit the bill. Go with what Kirkynut said, in the following order (1) bigger tyres, (2) suspension lift, (3) lower ratio transfer box. Everything else can come after these three items once you've got a better feel for things. Diff lock at too early a stage can also impede the progress of your learning, as it makes a lot of things too easy. Learn how to get past things with open diffs first!

• StevenMark
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Aug 2018 07:47 #194822 by StevenMark
I see that you never included Pajero in that list. Was that on purpose? I only ask because that has been recommend to me too. Thanks

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Aug 2018 08:38 - 04 Aug 2018 08:41 #194823 by TomDK
The pajero is very much like the land cruiser Prado and other more civilized 4x4s with independent front suspension and drives more or less like a normal car. Pajero just doesn't have the reputation of toughness and quality that land cruisers do.

You could probably call the Pajero a hairdressers 4x4 :)
Last edit: 04 Aug 2018 08:41 by TomDK.

More
10 Aug 2018 09:48 #194969 by Busta
A standard Jimny with slightly larger 215/75r15 tyres and a rear diff locker is a match for any 4x4 on the market. The downside of a Suzuki is always their lack of clearance in deep ruts. But normally on Australian trails there is a 'Suzuki line'- a route around a tough obstacle that favours the small size and nimbleness of a Suzuki, where other 4x4s simply don't fit. I had a GQ Patrol in Oz, but if I was to spend time over there again I would definitely be getting a Jimny.

Time to create page: 0.180 seconds