BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Leaky rear shock

• shortylumber
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Jun 2018 08:16 #193722 by shortylumber
Leaky rear shock was created by shortylumber
So get a shout from the father to check under car as he thinks petrol is leaking...thankfully not but it does look like the rear right shock is. Looks like both have seen better days.

So rather than do odd jobs in just going to replace front and back suspension. Tempted by a 2inch lift because why not if I'm changing it I may as well change it properly.

Aside from the kit, brakelines, bushings, is there anything else I need to be aware of or should change whilst getting it done?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jun 2018 08:52 #193724 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Leaky rear shock
To some extent it depends on what kit you get as some (such as my 2" Trailmaster) include everything you need in one kit.

Additional tip however, if you are thinking about it then get outside and spray penetrating oil on the bolts now (and every day onwards) so that once you have decided and ordered you will have half a chance of getting the bolts undone.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• shortylumber
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Jun 2018 09:16 #193725 by shortylumber
Replied by shortylumber on topic Leaky rear shock
I had seen the trailmaster one on the shop and liked the look of it, first one I've seen so will have a look around for any other full kit examples just to get an idea of things

Oh yeah I shall do, been meaning to do that for a while now, just have to raid the garage for wd40

More
22 Jun 2018 10:05 #193726 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Leaky rear shock
And an insurance quote being as you’re modifying it...

More
22 Jun 2018 10:31 #193727 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Leaky rear shock
Caster correcting bushings is not included in the kit i think, correct me please anyone. I think they should be.
After it is lifted you will need to correct your caster angles to regain the stability on road you where used to before the lift.
Without correction to the caster, the car will not self center after turning as well as before.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
22 Jun 2018 10:40 #193728 by X8GGY
I personally don’t think the TrailMaster lift needs castor correction?

I’ve fitted two now, the latter on my daily driver, fitted with a Steering Damper but no castor correction, it drives just fine...

• shortylumber
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Jun 2018 11:31 #193732 by shortylumber
Ah good point about the insurance quote, was forgetting that, and my renewal is due soon.

Last time I did an insurance quote for a modified Jimny it bumped insurance from 440 to 1k which was a bit of a shocker. Hmm may just have to stick to stock parts but will ring up insurers and ask

More
22 Jun 2018 12:00 - 22 Jun 2018 12:02 #193734 by X8GGY
Both of my modified Jimnys are about £420 a year to insure... although I am fifty ;)

Adrian Flux or Roadsure, etc...
Last edit: 22 Jun 2018 12:02 by X8GGY.

• shortylumber
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Jun 2018 12:42 #193735 by shortylumber
I pay that for a stock one , might try Adrian flux again. They were good for my mini and good with my dad and his land rover.

I'll take a look about. Was toying with idea of just 2 inch body lift over the suspension lift, just this leaky shock has made me want to start doing expensive things to it

More
22 Jun 2018 13:45 #193736 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Leaky rear shock
Fitted the Trailmaster 2" lift to my sons daily driver, just used the kit items, drives just fine without any correction

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• shortylumber
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Jun 2018 14:35 #193739 by shortylumber
Sounds ideal mlines.

After pricing up the trailmaster kit against getting stock shocks and coils all round it came out cheaper for the trailmaster, including the bolts. What's the difference between the abs and non abs kit by the way?

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
22 Jun 2018 18:13 #193746 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Leaky rear shock
That depends on if your car has ABS brakes or not ;-)

2" trailmaster is a great kit. Good quality and actually designed for a jimny, rather than 'something that fits'.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds