Search (23 Feb 2018)

A trial enhanced search facility has been enabled. Please use the Google Custom Search above.

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.[/size][/color][/b]

Led light bars (do they last ) and best route for cables from roof.

More
30 May 2018 19:07 - 30 May 2018 19:21 #193067 by Scimike
I have a space on my roof rack for a LED roof bar or spotlights and have seen some fitted on this forum. Guardian Angel fitted a 126W light bar, plenty on ebay for around £30....but is it still working?

Anyone else got one and can offer any feedback on if they work for more than a few weeks.
An alternative I am considering is LED daylight running lights mounted high.

I am not that concerned about if they illuminate the way ahead well, my interest is focused on if they last, my own experience of LED bulds is they are c#$p, working only for a few months before slowly failing.

A second question on how are people running the cable from such a light into the vehicle without compromising watertight ?

Thanks

Mike
Last edit: 30 May 2018 19:21 by Scimike.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 May 2018 17:02 #193099 by rappey
Led,s can last a very long time, but you pay for that ! There are many led spot and floodlights that are very cheap but heat kills them off..
I run some super bright leds in my boat but have them restricted in output which will prolong their life (I hope)

ie, 12v downlighter for a boat, from china = £3 From a yacht chandlers =£45 .You get what you pay for !

Boats have water tight fittings to allow cables into the boat so have a look at whats available?

More
31 May 2018 17:39 #193102 by Riccy
I agree that the quality of whats available is really poor Chinese tat.

I used to have a 32" curved led bar on the roof-rack. It was on there for about 3 months and had already started to shed its powder coat with alu rot (aluminium rust?). The lens had also fogged so IP rating is not as stated.

Then a pikey helped themselves to it one night. Didnt get the brackets as i binned them and made my own :-) However they are a theft target so its not been replaced.

The light output from it was pretty good for off-road and way too much to use on the road, so a compromise between ultimate output and actual quality is needed.

For running the wire, i binned off the aerial and ran it in there. its also fairly easy to run a wire up a snorkel. Have since replaced the aerial and binned the roof rack :laugh:

J999 MNY, M16 VVT, R7me gbox & Rocklobster,
31x10.5r15 Cooper STT, 2x ARB Lockd' 3.9 diffs & twin compressor,
6.5" total lift, Zookbob HD steering shock, Ignis recaro's
Custom bar & arches, rocksliders & guards,
Snorkel, K&N, 13500lb Winchmax, Buzzweld, etc, etc

Plus ULYSSES (06' trayback project)

More
31 May 2018 21:41 - 31 May 2018 21:44 #193106 by Daniel30
Got to say I think it's the luck of the draw with the Chinese stuff can't remember where I got mine from but thet were cheap, still look good as new and work great, regularly blasted with the jet hose and no problems so far, I ran my wire down the snorkel in some ribbed tubing and cut a slot in the plastic just behind the bonnet.

Can't attach a pic for some reason :(
Last edit: 31 May 2018 21:44 by Daniel30. Reason: Spell

More
01 Jun 2018 10:20 #193118 by mdog18
I fitted my LED light bar about 2/3 weeks ago. Bit soon to start analysing long term quality but so far I can say it has worked brilliantly, with no signs of failure. I went the aerial wiring route as I have no snorkel, but either way works :)

More
02 Jun 2018 08:15 #193145 by 1390_taz
I have four 6" LED lights fitted to a roof bar. The cable is in split spiral conduit running past the aerial and down the snorkel.
Into the engine bay
Attachments:

More
03 Jun 2018 19:23 #193177 by 1066Boy
I have a cheapo one on mine and it still looks like new after approximately 2 years. :)

Jimny JLX Facelift model 2005.
Kashmir Blue Pearl Metallic.
2" lift with Procomp Es1000 shocks.
Diff and transfer box guards from Jimnybits.
215/75/15 General Grabber x3's
and a driver called Allan (1066Boy)

Attachments:

Moderators: funkyjimnyooky_123
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds