BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Car Engine Temperature - overheating?

• apayne
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 May 2018 21:11 #192530 by apayne
Hi there, I've got a 2001 Jimny with the M13A engine and I have a feeling it's overheating at the moment. If I take the car out for a 30 minute drive, as soon as I come back the engine head / valve cover is roasting hot - to the point where it's untouchable. The temperature gauge needle is sitting comfortably just below centre but I'm sure the engine head shouldn't be heating up to the point where it's boiling hot / untouchable?

The top radiator hose is very hot which must mean the water pump is working and flowing around the engine. The radiator is topped up with 50/50 coolant and expansion tank is full.

What else would you suggest checking? Blocked radiator? Flush radiator? Thermostat? Although the coolant wouldn't flow around the top hose if the thermostat was broken, right?

All suggestions are appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
09 May 2018 04:22 #192533 by Lambert
If i have been working Ermintrude hard I wouldn't want to touch the engine, plenty hot enough to burn. If you have a live data reader see what the actual temperature is in degrees, it's likely to be in the 80 to 90 degree range.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Jimx5
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 May 2018 05:59 #192537 by Jimx5
Replied by Jimx5 on topic Car Engine Temperature - overheating?
It's the bottom hose you need to check, if it is cool (a lot cooler) than the top hose it's either a failed thermostat or the water pump.

• apayne
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 May 2018 07:10 #192540 by apayne
Replied by apayne on topic Car Engine Temperature - overheating?

Jimx5 wrote: It's the bottom hose you need to check, if it is cool (a lot cooler) than the top hose it's either a failed thermostat or the water pump.

The bottom hose is much cooler than the top hose, but isn't this how it's supposed to be? I thought the hot coolant came from the engine through the top hose, cools down in the radiator and then the cooler coolant pumped back into the engine via the bottom hose. Thanks

More
09 May 2018 07:50 #192541 by mlines
I use an Autel MaxiTrip gauge connected into the diagnostic socket, this gives me a continuous reading, Here it showing in Fahrenheit (I had just installed it) but it happily shows in Centigrade. And as stated it is usually in the high 80s and low 90s

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
09 May 2018 09:38 #192542 by X8GGY
Oooh, where do we get one of them Martin?

Just tried eBay and Amazon, but didn't find any...?

More
09 May 2018 10:01 #192543 by Jezz
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationIs it this one?

It's been fettled just a tad.

More
09 May 2018 10:27 #192544 by Jezz
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationOr cheaper Chinese version of the same thing.

More
09 May 2018 10:40 - 09 May 2018 10:43 #192545 by mlines
yep - any of those will do providing your Jimny has OBD2 support (early ones DO NOT)

Note that mine only works in US Gallons or Litres if you are using it to watch the fuel tank. I dont bother with this function.

Shows/Resets fault codes etc. I use this instead of a bluetooth one as it becomes a simple gauge in the car

Martin

235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Last edit: 09 May 2018 10:43 by mlines.

More
09 May 2018 10:45 #192547 by mlines
Or one that projects onto the windscreen

www.amazon.co.uk/Streetwize-Display-Scre...ometer/dp/B01DDMYHTG

Martin

More
09 May 2018 11:19 - 09 May 2018 11:20 #192548 by Jezz
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationMore Chinese cheapness of the same thing.

Last edit: 09 May 2018 11:20 by Jezz. Reason: spelling

More
09 May 2018 11:27 #192550 by Jezz

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds