BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Panhard Rods and Death Wobble

More
25 Apr 2018 09:16 #192140 by 2013gary
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone with experience can tell me how much the panhard rod bushes contribute to death wobble.

My 2001 Jimny JLX has had death wobble since I've owned it, particularly around the 40mph mark, despite me changing both kingpin bearings. Earlier in the year I had a bit of an accident and I bent the front panhard rod and this made it significantly worse (terrifying even at 25mph). I sourced a second hand panhard rod with fairly worn bushes and fitted that. The 25mph death wobble has gone, but the 40mph wobble is noticeably worse than before. It's fine if I can get to 50mph quick enough, but if not then I have to slow all the way down to about 20mph to stop the wobble!

So I'm going to order a HD front panhard rod with new bushes, but when I was looking at them I noticed that you can get a rear panhard rod as well. Could the rear panhard rod bushes be contributing to death wobble in any way? If that's the case then I might be better off replacing both panhard rods. I've had a good look at everything else at the front after the accident. The springs are fine, shocks are good and not leaking, and there's no leakage around any of the bearings so I don't THINK the death wobble could be because of the accident.

Thanks for your help

Gary

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Apr 2018 02:23 #192186 by zukebob
Bosanek condensed the death wobble thread into a good guide in the BigJimny wiki here:

Wiki Guide on Death Wobble

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
26 Apr 2018 18:00 #192199 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Panhard Rods and Death Wobble
Be wary that some HD panhard rods are longer than the standard ones (check before buying). Then you need to mess about getting it centred properly (not easy!).

The front panhard bushes could contribute to the death wobble, but not in a major way. Rear will have no affect on wobble from steering, but would make the rear feel like its wandering/slipping when cornering.

Did you change the wheel bearings (front) yet? i notice they are not in your list above and are more likely to be an issue than the panhard bushes. loose rod ends on the steering bars can make it worse, but the bearings are a more likley candidate.

Then theres always the basics to double check as well - tyre pressures, tyre condition, wheel balancing/condition, warped brake discs, etc.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
02 May 2018 20:29 #192343 by kirkynut
Panhard rod bushes can cause Death Wobble on their own.

I put Super Pro nylon bushes in my new HD panhard rods when I replaced my seized ones, which needed adjusting for my new springs.

They were too hard and with no give in them, they transmitted everything into Death Wobble. I bought some softer nylon ones from the BigJimny Shop and they fixed it immediately.

I had replaced everything else up to this point in a front end re-build, so I knew it was nothing else.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds