BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Spare Wheel Removal

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
09 Apr 2018 04:23 #191472 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Spare Wheel Removal
You shouldn't really need a different socket, the wheel brace should fit over it,though it might need a little persuasion from a hammer but only very lightly taping. You ought to be then able to just twist and pull and get it off or just unwind it completely.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: psybear

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Apr 2018 12:08 #191482 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Spare Wheel Removal
Is there enough space to get something down the sides of it like a long thin screwdriver?
I was thinking if you had something like a long thin screwdriver and bent the tip of the screwdriver over so that it could catch on the furthest edge of the offending cover, and pull it towards you. Obviously you will be pulling on one side, so may need to work around it until it starts to shift

I cant think if anything else unless its magnetic and you can get a strong earth magnet to it - Don't lose the magnet down the hole too!

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

More
10 Apr 2018 05:36 #191503 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Spare Wheel Removal
If you've established that this is just a tin cover on a proper nut, it's likely rusted on and I would be inclined to go at it with a screw driver and hammer via the hole drilled to rip it open and loose. Then you will have created an edge to be able to get a grip on and pull. It's no good to you as it is and the gently gently approach is failing. Just be careful not to damage the plastic cover.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• psybear
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Apr 2018 07:00 - 10 Apr 2018 07:00 #191506 by psybear
Replied by psybear on topic Spare Wheel Removal
Thanks for all the suggestions folks. I'm new here and have been really impressed by the level of response from so many other Jimny owners wanting to help.

Unfortunately 'Jim-Bob' and I are having an enforced separation for a couple of weeks so I won't be able to act on any further suggestions, or report back on progress for a while.
Last edit: 10 Apr 2018 07:00 by psybear.

More
10 Apr 2018 10:02 - 10 Apr 2018 10:03 #191510 by Max Headroom
No worries, hope you have a good time whatever you are doing.B)
But don't forget to report back here with any more ideas that you've had or things that you've tried, and let us know the outcome... if any!

I'm intrigued now and want to know how it pans out

Last edit: 10 Apr 2018 10:03 by Max Headroom.

• GRAYWOLF
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Apr 2018 12:44 #191516 by GRAYWOLF
Replied by GRAYWOLF on topic Spare Wheel Removal
From what i can see, that would appear, as already said, a security bolt of some sort..May i suggest a steel drill shaft pushed into the hole, and then a ring spanner, around it(slim one)..push the drill shaft into the hole firmly, while trying to undo the nut..
I have seen similar security nuts before..

• ZukracerV6
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Apr 2018 13:28 #191517 by ZukracerV6
Replied by ZukracerV6 on topic Spare Wheel Removal
As others have mentioned, that is just a chrome thin metal cover. Underneath it will be a round, locking wheel nut with three holes. I have had a few Jimny's fitted with these locks, and they all corrode. Normally some brute strength and a big pair of grips will remove the cover and nut but you have the added complication of the wheel cover restricting your access. You can buy sockets from ebay to remove lock nuts with out the key.

• psybear
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Apr 2018 10:43 #192018 by psybear
Replied by psybear on topic Spare Wheel Removal
Finally sorted.

As various folk here suggested, this was a tin cover that was well rusted on. A 22mm socket was used to get it off - not a perfect fit but close enough.

The pictures tell the tale.

Thanks for all the advice folks!
Attachments:

More
23 Apr 2018 09:03 #192052 by Max Headroom
Well! Why on Earth would anyone put a cover like that on?

Well done for finally solving it and getting the offending article out.
Looks like the poor old security nut has suffered badly from its encasement.

I generally assemble everything with the old honey-coloured Waxoyl - it does a fantastic job at keeping water ingress and corrosion out for years on end, but I would never cover a relatively inaccessible bolt with anything like that!

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds