BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

jimny diff clunk

• geerwoods
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Apr 2018 19:39 #191390 by geerwoods
jimny diff clunk was created by geerwoods
Hi all,
I recently took a 2005 manual jimney for a test drive, jimny seemed ok in 2 wheel drive but when i put it into 4h initialy it was ok but when i put it into full lock in both direction a loud clunking noise came from the rear of the car. My first thought was that it might of been the transfer box but whilst still in 4h and driving in a straight line or slightly off line no issues.
Back into 2h no issues, went through the same motions again , when in 4h full lock , clunk clunk. Is this a diff issue, is it normal.
Thanks in advance for helpful replies.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jimx5
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Apr 2018 20:44 #191394 by Jimx5
Replied by Jimx5 on topic jimny diff clunk
You are driving it WRONG only use 4 wheel drive when the ground will allow the wheels to slip, you are causing diff wind up which will damage various parts, diff, gearbox, transfer box etc.

• geerwoods
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Apr 2018 20:56 #191395 by geerwoods
Replied by geerwoods on topic jimny diff clunk
Hi JIMX5,
I was test driving the car for my wife, she shunted hers in the snow, in 2h. From what you are telling me and other info i found it sounds like the diff is locked when in 4h so when you turn, the outer wheel needs to rotate quicker than the inner. thus causing the wind . would that be what's happening.
Thanks for your Help.
DG.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
06 Apr 2018 22:03 #191397 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic jimny diff clunk
A Jimny has about the most simple 4x4 system possible. In any high grip condition like tarmac it can only be used in 2x4,because there's no centre differential to accommodate the different rotational speed of the front and rear axle. In low grip situation like mud or gravel the rotation is accommodated by the tyres slipping on the surface. If there's any loud noise on steering on a loose surface it is fairly likely to be the front cv joints which happens to be one of the failure modes of driving in 4x4 on a high grip surface.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Jimx5
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Apr 2018 22:11 #191398 by Jimx5
Replied by Jimx5 on topic jimny diff clunk

• geerwoods
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Apr 2018 22:45 #191399 by geerwoods
Thanks again Jimx5.

DG

• geerwoods
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Apr 2018 22:48 #191400 by geerwoods
Lambert

Many thanks for your help.

DG.

Time to create page: 0.131 seconds