BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Buying a jimny - rust

• Jjbradshaw1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Mar 2018 15:07 #190851 by Jjbradshaw1
Buying a jimny - rust was created by Jjbradshaw1
Hi everyone, looking to buy my first Jimny. As it’s my second car i’m on quite a low budget! I’ve found a potential option and asked about rust in the boot floor. He’s kindly sent me some pics, I was just wondering if anybody could advise on how much of an issue it is. The car is an 02 with 95k on it, last MOT didn’t mention rust at all just a wheel bearing which the owner has already had replaced.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Mar 2018 16:08 - 25 Mar 2018 16:10 #190856 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Buying a jimny - rust
I just purchased our first Jimny but was very shocked at the level of rust even on new cars. A low mileage 2016 had visible surface rust on the chassis welds, something I was not expecting with a modern vehicle. So I looked at as many as I could and came to the conclusion that underbelly rust protection is very low on Suzuki's list, and certainly all the ones I viewed had rust starting to take hold. For this reason I purchased as new as I could afford, even then getting it on ramps for a good look underneath. Ours is sound, but will need surface rust treatment this year to halt its progression.
So you can assume that they all suffer with rust, look carefully.
The pictures you have posted look like a vehicle thats going to need welding at some point to fix what are holes in the floor pan. Its not going to get better and assume the rot area is larger than you can see. If you can weld and its cheap enough go for it, but i would look at a few more in the same price / age range to decide if this is good or bad deal.

The very front of the vehicle and metal above the rear axle appear to be the areas most affect by rust, but as its a short vehicle thats not leaving much good in the middle. :laugh:

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 25 Mar 2018 16:10 by Scimike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jjbradshaw1

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Mar 2018 18:55 #190859 by mickt
Replied by mickt on topic Buying a jimny - rust
As the car has a separate chassis and they are normally ok except for the occasional ones with a body mount rotting then the MOT wont pick it up as the body is non structural. But to see the real extent of that rust you need to get under the rear of the car and if you can check behind the headlamps and the crossbeam that runs across the front in the wheel arches. That needs the arch trims removing to inspect properly.

More
25 Mar 2018 21:06 #190871 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Buying a jimny - rust
I'd say that level of rust is fairly typical, possibly above average for the age of vehicle you are looking at. If the price is right I'd go for it but bear in mind that it will need welding done at some point over the next few years. If you can do it yourself or find a good garage the cost of repairing rusted areas isn't actually that bad, and is possibly even cheaper than a rust prevention work over the lifetime of a car.

• Jjbradshaw1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Mar 2018 21:40 #190872 by Jjbradshaw1
Replied by Jjbradshaw1 on topic Buying a jimny - rust
Thanks for the replies everyone. I decided to go slightly higher mileage (117k) and pick up an 05 which is super clean both inside and out. Added bonus that it has the facelift interior, drove it home this afternoon and I’m buzzing with it. Only issue is I’ve priced up more in wanted accessories than I spent on the car!

More
26 Mar 2018 05:55 #190881 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Buying a jimny - rust
I have a family friend who's just bought one via the internet on the basis she could return it if not what she wanted. I looked it over to find it in a similar state to that but with some bodged repairs to the boot floor trying to cover the rust up.

It was close to the rear body mounts, which was why she was looking for a new Jimny in the first place as her old one was rotten just there too.

So I think you've dodged a bullet there.

I'm glad you've found a good one!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
26 Mar 2018 18:44 #190896 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic Buying a jimny - rust

Scimike wrote: came to the conclusion that underbelly rust protection is very low on Suzuki's list,

This is so true. It is something mentioned in the Celerio forum a lot. I was almost shocked but only fully appreciated the poor protection when I applied a sound deadening underseal to help kill the road noise. Suzuki should be ashamed.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

• MadsV
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Mar 2018 19:31 #190897 by MadsV
Replied by MadsV on topic Re:Buying a jimny - rust
That is something Suzuki Norway is better at then many other importers, all cars go straight to underbody and cavity treatment at the port of Drammen when they arrive. If kept clean and re-treatened over the years it should be able to have a rust free suzuki

More
02 Apr 2018 07:43 #191171 by Foxtrot
Replied by Foxtrot on topic Buying a jimny - rust
I bought 4 New Jimnys over a 13 year period and I was always a bit disappointed with finding that the panel behind the grill was poorly painted and very quickly showed signs of surface rust.

• Jjbradshaw1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Apr 2018 10:57 #191186 by Jjbradshaw1
Replied by Jjbradshaw1 on topic Buying a jimny - rust
Speaking of rust.... I just removed the back seats to make a bigger area for the dug (he was struggling with the bench). Now that I’ve removed the bolts through the floor there is obviously daylight. Do I need to treat around the holes, Screw the bolts back/fill them in or just leave the holes as they are? 26 years of age and fitting some wind deflectors this morning and removing seats is all the mechanical work I’ve mustered since working on go-karts as a kid! I’m ashamed...

Other things of note, I’ve got a squeal which I assumed was the belt as on inspection there’s more belt dust in the bay than is left on the belt itself. But it only seems to squeal when the lights are on which makes me think it could be something else, alternator maybe?

Aaaand last but not least the 4wd isn’t working. I press the button but literally nothing happens, no beep, no dash light and no noise from the car at all. I’m hoping it’s just a fuse but any ideas/advice is welcome!

Thanks in advance :)

More
02 Apr 2018 11:38 - 02 Apr 2018 11:40 #191188 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Buying a jimny - rust
When I removed our rear seats I put some copper grease on the bolts and put them back in. Fitted keeps the water out and you won't misplace them :laugh:

When you turn the lights on it puts load on the alternator and will make the belt slip if its not in 100% condition. So its still your belt, not the alternator.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 02 Apr 2018 11:40 by Scimike.

More
02 Apr 2018 12:08 - 02 Apr 2018 12:09 #191189 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Buying a jimny - rust

Scimike wrote: When you turn the lights on it puts load on the alternator and will make the belt slip if its not in 100% condition. So its still your belt, not the alternator.

Schmike, my neighbours Jimny had the exact same problem, and had the belts changed twice before deducing it was the alternator that was the problem.
All worked fine when she drove off from the garage that did the job, until a few days later on one cold and rainy morning with radio, fan blower, lights and wipers running it started screaming like a banshee.
I came out to see what was wrong, and unloading the alternator by switching the ancillaries off it suddenly went quiet. I was astonished; I'd never seen anything like that before.

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 02 Apr 2018 12:09 by Max Headroom.

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds