BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Jimny auto advice needed

• Valleys rambler
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Feb 2018 14:37 - 18 Feb 2018 16:58 #189433 by Valleys rambler
Replied by Valleys rambler on topic Jimny auto advice needed
Great stuff people, so is that the only parts I need, and can I leave all the rest on apart from the hubs because I wouldn't know where to start lol so basically be like my old vitara when I had to reverse back ???????
Last edit: 18 Feb 2018 16:58 by Lambert. Reason: No need for swearing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Feb 2018 15:09 #189435 by jackonlyjack
Yes just remove old hubs and bolt new on it's that easy ;)
You can leave every thing as was
OR remove the old rotten steel pipe work and just blank off the rubber pipes that's left on
The following user(s) said Thank You: Valleys rambler

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
18 Feb 2018 18:43 #189442 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Jimny auto advice needed
You dont need to reverse back to disengage the front drive. Use the transer box lever/dash buttons to put it in 2wd on and off tarmac. (important NOT to drive on grippy surfaces in 4x4!)

The manual (or freewheeling) hubs allow you to 'switch off' a wheel at a time. If your going onto slippery surfaces, switch them both on before and engage 4x4 as needed. once back to tarmac switch them off for better fuel consumption (stops the wheels turning the shafts needlessly).

The pipes and suchlike can stay, but do blank off any if you remove them. You may get problems with dash lights if theres a leak on it somewhere, so probably best to blank off fully as Jack says ;-)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• Valleys rambler
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Feb 2018 20:16 - 18 Feb 2018 20:18 #189449 by Valleys rambler
Great stuff im daft when it comes to this stuff so yeah thats good news ill order a set can I just fit these and drive and not touch anything at all, and by blanking of where by and how, buy the way theres a fat reefer in the ashtray for you haaaa I need as much info as poss like any special tools could I do them myself etc:blink:
Last edit: 18 Feb 2018 20:18 by Valleys rambler.

More
18 Feb 2018 20:18 #189450 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Jimny auto advice needed
I know what you mean by reversing back to release any wind up in the transmission and Yes, you may need to do so for the 4wd to release and the light go out as the hubs will be locked while your old auto hubs wouldn't be.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Valleys rambler
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Mar 2018 16:07 #190630 by Valleys rambler
So I bought the hubs of Jimny bits also advised I don't need spacers etc, anyone got a tutorial video link on how to change them, so exited Haaaaaa

• Valleys rambler
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Mar 2018 22:01 #190656 by Valleys rambler
Took ya advice mate, bought them of Jimnybits on ebay for some reason I couldn't purchase directly of their site, and the chap said I don't need any spacers or extras, so they came with gaskets bolts and washers seem pretty solid, just looking for a step by step guide and plan on doing hub conversion tomorrow

More
21 Mar 2018 01:00 #190661 by zukebob
Replied by zukebob on topic Jimny auto advice needed
Check here for an answer:

Info For Fitting Manual Hubs

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left

More
21 Mar 2018 09:16 #190666 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic Jimny auto advice needed

Valleys rambler wrote: 2002 model it goes into low on the auto box but not the 4x4 box. The light comes on when I select 4w but 4w is not engaging at all what electrics do I check any diagrams about in here fella

I might be misunderstanding but it seems to me you should forget the auto box selector. Low on the auto is not related to any four wheel drive. The others will give you advice on checking the actual four wheel drive but with it in N (no good in D/P etc. as it locks the tranny) there are checks you can do with it on jacks (not ramps as you have to turn the wheels lol) to see if the four wheels are working as one!!

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

• Valleys rambler
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Mar 2018 21:04 #190699 by Valleys rambler

jackonlyjack wrote: Member j999pre can get new manual hubs around the £100 delivered ;)

Awesome fella bought hubs of Jimnybits should I grease them up or are they ready to go, I fitted them and work OK, need to know if I should grease them tomorrow have to take them back off

• Valleys rambler
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Mar 2018 21:07 #190700 by Valleys rambler
Well thanks for all ya advice people new hubs fitted and working OK but forgot to grease them, do they need greasing lol can build a computer from scratch but clueless about mechanicals haaa

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
22 Mar 2018 05:35 #190715 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Jimny auto advice needed
Yes but only very lightly. It is very easy to have too much grease and lock them in any position. Just a dab'll do ya.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds