BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Steamy Jimny and losing water

• Anselm
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Feb 2018 15:53 #189159 by Anselm
Steamy Jimny and losing water was created by Anselm
Hello All,

have had many happy months with my soft top Jimny, new tyres made all the difference and I take it to work every day.

A new problem.... past few days I thought I could smell antifreeze inside the car, temp stayed normal but windows seem steamier..
Checked the water overflow bottle (none) and radiator half empty too. Had to fill up 2 litres but I don't check that often as it never changed... oops..
Took it out for a run just now and was like a sauna inside by the time I came back.

Looking around there are no leaks underneath, but no water inside the car either. Heater Matrix just looking at the outside seems fine...no apparent drips... It has been very wet here and it is a soft top, so expect some condensation but this is way more...

Anyone had this before?

Thanks

Patrick

PS - Little Tip from me - House stereo speakers fit nicely in the boot with a little tool box in the middle... fantastic sound and no drilling out the pillars to hold bigger speakers... - cost of upgrade £1 off ebay :@)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Anselm
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Feb 2018 17:10 #189160 by Anselm
Replied by Anselm on topic Steamy Jimny and losing water
Checked again...
It was dry inside..... until I lifted the rubber drivers floormat... and there is a pond going on there...

Traced back up carpet to the matrix.... funny it was dry to feel on the tunnel but quite a bit pooled underneath the floormat so can only assume it is a slow leak...

Anyone fixed / swapped out a matrix? It looks a lot easier to access than some cars any hints / tips appreciated.

Thanks

Patrick

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
07 Feb 2018 19:19 #189161 by Lambert
I haven't had to change one myself but allegedly it is much easier to remove the dashboard to get sensible access to the matrix.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• CharlesS
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Feb 2018 00:08 #189169 by CharlesS
Replied by CharlesS on topic Steamy Jimny and losing water
An interim fix for this problem..... I would take the hoses going to the heater core that penetrate thru the firewall, bypass the core with one of the heater hoses and route it back to the engine. You wont have to continually refill the radiator and overflow bottle while waiting to replace the core.

Time to create page: 0.087 seconds