BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

UHF Radios?

• zukebob
  • zukebob's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • Manila, Philippines
More
24 Jan 2018 08:14 #188791 by zukebob
UHF Radios? was created by zukebob
I was planning to go on an off-road event in about 3 weeks. Contacting the organizers, I found out that they have a requirement to have a UHF radio. Makes sense, I guess, if you are trying to keep a larger group organized but it puts me in a position of needing to get a crash course. I usually go in smaller groups with friends and have never needed radios.

Recommendations of brands? Handheld vs hard mounted? Anything special I should watch out for?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Bob

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• florinelu07
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Jan 2018 09:04 #188793 by florinelu07
Replied by florinelu07 on topic UHF Radios?
1. First of all you should check the local laws and regulations regarding frequency plan, mode and power, allowed to be used freely.

2. Check with the organizers what would be the used frequency and/or mode - PMR, FRS, FDMA. (of course that is expected to be harmonized with local regulations)

3. Consider renting one.

4. Ideally a handheld transceiver to avoid unnecessary cables and antennas.

5. If money isn't an issue, go big: Yaesu, Icom, Motorola (black & rugged models)

6. Budget wise, go for hobby Motorola's or Asian replicas of heavy duties radios (Puxing, Wouxun, Baofeng)

• CharlesS
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Jan 2018 11:54 - 24 Jan 2018 11:59 #188801 by CharlesS
Replied by CharlesS on topic UHF Radios?
Must of the off road clubs that I am a member of suggest that you bring a UHF radio since it can transmit further distances than CB radios and with less noise. Locally the most common inexpensive UHF/VHF hand held radio is the Baofeng UV-5r. Recently found it on EBay for $20.59 with free shipping. You can also program FRS and GRMS frequencies on this radio.
When vehicles are with in eye sight then the hand held with rubber antenna is sufficient, but for further distances you should consider the purchase of a magnetic mount antenna to connect to the screw on antenna connection.
I own a couple of the UV-5r's; the Chinese have tried to copy Yaesu and Kenwood, but the quality in build and electronic filtering is not quite there.
My preference are Yaesu radios of which I have several. They are easy to program and their performance is exceptional.
You should consider... to use one of these radios you should have a Ham Radio License of Technician.
Last edit: 24 Jan 2018 11:59 by CharlesS.

More
24 Jan 2018 22:43 #188819 by cailean
Replied by cailean on topic UHF Radios?
Yep, won't everyone transmitting need a license?
The following user(s) said Thank You: zukebob

• zukebob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • Manila, Philippines
More
25 Jan 2018 00:21 #188824 by zukebob
Replied by zukebob on topic UHF Radios?
Thanks for the comments. I will look at the regulations first. Sometimes I think the Philippines doesn't have any laws but I still want to do it right.

The frequency is 462.675Mhz. I'm not sure what mode they use but I think most of these radios are programmable. Correct?

Handheld is what I would prefer and sounds like there isn't much of a downside for this use.

Sounds like Yaesu is getting the most votes for quality. I'll have a look. I have seen numerous club postings for the Baofeng. I don't like going for cheap but I'm OK with inexpensive if the quality is decent. If Yaesu (or one of the other high quality radios) can't easily be found, it sounds like Baofeng would be a good fill-in? even if temporary?

The event is in 3 weeks but I likely only have a week or so to get set and signed up so I will begin a serious search.

Thanks again. Any additional comments are welcome.

• CharlesS
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Jan 2018 03:24 #188827 by CharlesS
The frequency 462.675 is CH 20 on FRS and GRMS. You can talk on a FRS without a license, but to talk on a GRMS; you really should have a technicians license. I own two Baofeng UV-5 radios and I have both of them programmed to talk on ALL the FRS/GRMS frequencies since you never know what kind of radio someone will bring while off roading.
Most of the people that I have observed in the rural areas of PI using 2 meter radios are not licensed.

• florinelu07
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Jan 2018 06:02 #188831 by florinelu07
Replied by florinelu07 on topic UHF Radios?
In Philippines, the free usage radio band (transmit power less than 2.5w) is called SRRS and it's in the 325mhz range.

The above mentioned frequency can be used on some countries but with transmit power less than 0.5w.

• CharlesS
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Jan 2018 14:02 - 25 Jan 2018 14:03 #188837 by CharlesS
The 0.5W transmitted power rating is for the FRS style radios; the GRMS style radios transmitted power rating is 50W and there are alot of overlap Channels for FRS and GRMS.

wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/FRS/GM...mbined_channel_chart
Last edit: 25 Jan 2018 14:03 by CharlesS.

• CharlesS
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Jan 2018 21:12 #188842 by CharlesS
The cheapest price that I have seen for the Baofeng UV-5R is $17.59 with FREE shipping.
This radio will do ALL the frequencies you would need.

• zukebob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • Manila, Philippines
More
26 Jan 2018 01:21 #188847 by zukebob
Replied by zukebob on topic UHF Radios?
Looking through the requirements here, it would appear that I will need a license unless I'm set to receive only. Licensing involves taking 3 exams through the National Telecommunications Commission. Certainly won't accomplish that in time for the off-road event I wanted to join but at least I have time to learn. First thing I will do is talk to some of the organizers of various events here to see if having a radio is a common requirement. If it is, the next step would be making a decision of being prepared for those or just staying with my group of friends.

If I decide to be licensed, I will probably start with a Baofeng. I have seen UV-5R and UV-82 for sale at about the price mentioned. I did find Yaesu and Icom but wouldn't want to go there yet. Whichever radio I buy, it may become a door prize at the next family get-together.

Appreciate the help from each of you.

Bob

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds