BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Bad condensation on inside of windows in cold weather.

• fowleronline
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Dec 2017 15:22 #187795 by fowleronline
A search for condensation, water and windows etc has not really helped as you can imagine on this forum!
As I am fairly new to the Jimny, I am now experiencing my first winter and my biggest problem is condensation on and running down the windscreen and front windows. This is every day when the weather is cold and it freezes when the temperature drops too.
We have had heavy rain from time to time (It is the Lake District for a reason). But - I can't find a source. All the mats and upholstery seem dry, but something somewhere must be wet.
A few pointers to the favourite suspects would be appreciated, assuming it is not just something all Jimny owners have to live with in the winter!
Thanks
Martin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Dec 2017 16:07 #187797 by mlines
Sorry, it's a Jimny.

A feature is condensation

Crack the front windows open and put blower on full

Martin

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
27 Dec 2017 16:24 #187800 by Lambert
Being a farmer I frequently am in and out of mine in wet or damp clothing and I tend to have a brew in there too all of which can make some quite good condensation but 10 minutes with the blower on melt and it's clear and dry again. More generally they are not prone to water ingress, certainly not in the same way that a defender does.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
27 Dec 2017 19:55 #187804 by helijohn
It seems to be very damp weather lately which does not help. I keep a kitchen roll to hand as it needs something to absorb the wet a little more than a rag.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

• ZukracerV6
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Dec 2017 08:19 #187822 by ZukracerV6
Does it only get used on short journeys? I'm wondering if the interior is damp and does not get enough time to dry. It's amazing how much water gets in on wet shoes, and coats etc

More
28 Dec 2017 08:31 #187823 by helijohn
Why not try the condensation thingies that we use in houses like in bathrooms etc. They are cheap (8 for £5) and very effective.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Dec 2017 09:08 #187825 by Daniel30
Couple of pairs of tights with rice in them will absorb moisture helped in a 325 vert I had.

• MadsV
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Dec 2017 09:12 #187826 by MadsV
A clean windshield will help also, takes more time to condensate

• fowleronline
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Dec 2017 08:44 #187864 by fowleronline
Hi Folks
Thanks for all the replies, that is reassuring and makes sense.
Yes it is only short journeys and has not had much use recently.
Kitchen roll has been my answer and the windscreen is pretty clean now as a result lol.
Love the idea for condensation traps, I can see that being a winter feature from now on.
Most of the country South of me seems to have had snow recently, and we have a weather warning for later today, so probably enough time to get it ready to go out and play.
Thanks again.

• Venter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Dec 2017 10:20 #187869 by Venter
I've recently been having the same problem as you. Solved it through two methods:

1) If doing lots of short journeys, leave car running with heater on for a good while before you drive it. This increases fuel usage, but to me that's a small price to pay for being able to see out of windscreen.
2) I keep two sacks of silica crystals in the car, on up by windscreen, and one down in front of gearstick to deal with evaporation from the footwells. These bags are easy to get hold of and cheap (Tesco, Amazon, etc), and you refresh them just using the microwave. Crystals are poisonous, so don't leave dog/kids in car with them.

• Wychall
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Dec 2017 16:17 #187872 by Wychall
Fit some of the plastic air deflector things on the front windows. You can then leave both front windows open half an inch or so and get an air flow through the vehicle at all times. I've done this with my Volkswagen Transporter and it's worked wonders.

• MikeO
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Dec 2017 16:28 #187874 by MikeO
Be very careful NOT to spill the collected water/liquid on the carpets if you use a Bison-style condensation trap in the car; it's almost impossible to mop up satisfactorily.
I had one taped in a plastic washing-up bowl in my previous car and it's still a nuisance.
I have a bag in my Jimny containing the crystals which has only to be dried in a microwave or in the airing-cupboard.
I concur with the suggestion of leaving the windows open a crack - I have the wind-deflectors,too.

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds