BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Can I fit van tyres on my Jimny?

• Anselm
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Nov 2017 16:12 #185898 by Anselm
Can I fit van tyres on my Jimny? was created by Anselm
Hello all, newbie here...

I bought a 2002 Jimny O2 convertible cheap on an ebay whim ( I was sober :@)) and am now using it as a daily car.
I love it, so retro and not carlike at all, although it has part worn tyres so can get a bit hairy on our country lanes!
So time to replace the tyres, it has three spoke wheels with 205/70/R15s on...

Given the roads round our way are rubbish, always muddy and full of potholes, and my Jimny will do a little bit of off road, would it be (a) legal) and (b) sensible to fit van tyres, which are tougher or is there a problem doing this?

Any help appreciated!

Thanks

Patrick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Nov 2017 16:22 #185899 by Busta
There is no merit to fitting van tyres. The standard tyres are perfectly capable of handling the conditions you describe. If you want a more off-road orientated tyre get a set of all-terrains. And no, it's not illegal to change the tyres.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Anselm

More
06 Nov 2017 16:34 #185900 by mlines
Its worth remembering:

1. Check tyre pressures, they are VERY frequently too high meaning it becomes very slippery on the road.
2. It is basically rear wheel drive when on the roads, put some weight in the back helps (the old bag of concrete in the BMW boot for winter traction trick).

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
06 Nov 2017 18:52 - 06 Nov 2017 18:56 #185906 by Lambert
When we first got our terios it came with a set of van tyres already on it. They were appalling things, a massively hard compound to air wear and eliminate any form of grip, way too stiff sidewall construction for a car that struggles to weigh more than a tonne and so impressively loud, but not in a good way like mud tyres but in a irritating off key sort of way. After a couple of too close a shaves the van tyres were replaced with a set of runway enduros in ht pattern and it transformed the terios into a happy place to be, no more cornering gingerly in case it fell off the road, no more bone jarring ride and quiet enough to actually talk to a passenger instead of being unable to hear yourself think. I know Jimny is subtly different to terios but don't ruin yours by getting the wrong type of tyres.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
Last edit: 06 Nov 2017 18:56 by Lambert.

• Anselm
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Nov 2017 22:37 #185914 by Anselm
Replied by Anselm on topic Can I fit van tyres on my Jimny?
Thanks to all for the advice!!

Could just be me being a bit scared but previous whim car was a mid engined mgtf which went round corners like it was on rails... fantastic
So the jimny could just take a while to build up confidence but new tyres would help :@)

Used to have a scimitar so bags of sand in the boot is a Good fix and
Will check pressures think it is on 24 front 26 rear

Thanks again to all for the speedy and informative replies

• Venter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Nov 2017 00:00 #185917 by Venter
Replied by Venter on topic Can I fit van tyres on my Jimny?
The Jimny definitely takes some getting used to, especially in the wet around roundabouts! A few puckering moments will be had...

As Martin advised, extra weight and a careful foot go a long way. It'll be a big adjustment coming from the car you had, but don't get the van tyres, if you really want to change them and will mainly be using it on-road, then just upgrade to a newer or better quality 205/70/15.

More
07 Nov 2017 10:26 #185938 by Busta
Just remembered- check the age of your tyres! Jimny's are very gentle on tyres, especially if the previous owner was a steady driver. I bought a 13 year old, 90k mile Jimny still running 2 of the original tyres. The tread depth was well above the legal limit but the rubber was rock hard and the grip levels were ridiculously poor. A fresh set of tyres made it drive like a normal car again. Rubber tyres deteriorate over time even if the tread is still good.

• Anselm
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Dec 2017 14:36 #187669 by Anselm
Replied by Anselm on topic Can I fit van tyres on my Jimny?
Hello All

My son got me four new tyres at a bodyshop he is working at... don't recognise the make but they are sort of deeper grooved (12mm+) road tyres.

Car handles completely differently now, lovely to drive, no scary roundabouts.

Thanks again for the advice.

More
20 Dec 2017 20:17 #187686 by helijohn

Anselm wrote: would it be (a) legal) and (b) sensible to fit van tyres, which are tougher or is there a problem doing this?

Any help appreciated!

Thanks

Patrick

I've used van tyres many times mostly because of the availability.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds