BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Feb 2018 07:44 - 09 Feb 2018 07:45 #189197 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show
They use a three pot turbo suzuki engine in one of the caterhams wish it had the same effect in a Jimny

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: B)
Last edit: 09 Feb 2018 07:45 by Daniel30.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Feb 2018 15:44 - 09 Feb 2018 15:46 #189206 by furo
Replied by furo on topic New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show
Another article here, I really like the look of it. Mentions a rumour that they will bring out a long wheelbase version. Also it is apparently going to be unveiled at the Geneva Motor Show in March.

www.cartoq.com/india-bound-suzuki-jimny-...tails-pictures-more/

2004 Jimny Mode: General Grabber AT3s (215/75/R15); Trailmaster 2" Lift; Jimnybits Snorkel; Jimnybits Front and Rear Recovery Points; Suntop Roof Rack; AVM Manual Hubs; Stainless Steel Exhaust System (SOLD)
Last edit: 09 Feb 2018 15:46 by furo.

More
09 Feb 2018 22:40 #189224 by mark98
Replied by mark98 on topic New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show

furo wrote: Another article here, I really like the look of it. Mentions a rumour that they will bring out a long wheelbase version. Also it is apparently going to be unveiled at the Geneva Motor Show in March.

www.cartoq.com/india-bound-suzuki-jimny-...tails-pictures-more/

If they do a long wheelbase in the UK that would be very tempting...I thinking of replacing my ageing and dull daily Fiesta with newish Vitara next year, but a long wheel base Jimny would be a much more interesting proposition...

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
10 Feb 2018 06:09 #189226 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show
If it's longer it will be heavier so logically should be able to tow more. Ok I'm hooked.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
10 Feb 2018 07:32 #189228 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show
With it being built by Maruti in India for the global market , there will be lots of variants including LWB and traybacks.

However, I suspect that only a more limited selection will make it to the UK market.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
10 Feb 2018 09:25 #189230 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show

mlines wrote: With it being built by Maruti in India for the global market , there will be lots of variants

All I want variantwise is automatic.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

More
10 Feb 2018 11:40 #189231 by Foxtrot
Replied by Foxtrot on topic New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show
The UK link mentions there will be a five door later on and it will have a low ratio box but also the AllGrip system. That's the best of both worlds. The rear wheel drive as standard has caught me out a few times with my previous Jimnys

www.colinappleyard.com/blog/2018/suzuki-jimny-2017

More
10 Feb 2018 13:28 #189235 by auchenblae
Agreed about the default rear wheel drive.

I came home one icy night in my Impreza with winter tyres. Drove up our track and never noticed any slip in the car due to the full time 4WD.

Took the other half out to a ladies night out in the Jimny in 2WD and on my return driving up the track went over the same patch of ice that I did not notice in the Impreza. The back end of the Jimny had a big step out with the rear wheels.

On picking her up later that evening on my return put the Jimny in 4WD and drove over the ice patch with no issues.

The other pain in 4WD on the Jimny is reversing round a corner or on very sharp bends going forward where the lack of a centre diff causes crabbing.

Yes the car is long overdue a more sophisticated 4WD system for those who consider the Jimny a daily driver.

eddie

16 SZ3
07 JLX+ gone 16
99 JLX gone 07

More
10 Feb 2018 13:34 #189236 by auchenblae

Lambert wrote: If it's longer it will be heavier so logically should be able to tow more. Ok I'm hooked.

I would not hold your breath for much in the way of better towing capacity as the Jimny is being designed for low cost areas and the big option to do that is to reduce the weight of the car.

Towing is a function of the car weight among other things and there may be a small increase, I cannot think it will be worth much as the weight of any reasonable sized trailer is not that small and will swallow up a good bit of the Jimnys towing capacity.

eddie

16 SZ3
07 JLX+ gone 16
99 JLX gone 07

More
10 Feb 2018 13:54 #189238 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show

Foxtrot wrote: also the AllGrip system. That's the best of both worlds. The rear wheel drive as standard has caught me out a few times with my previous Jimnys

Absolutely

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

More
10 Feb 2018 16:50 #189241 by furo
Replied by furo on topic New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show
I'm not sure that Suzuki calling the new Jimny All Grip means that it will be in permanent all-wheel drive. I know in many markets they refer to the current Jimny as All Grip - I think it's just a marketing term for all their variants of 4WD/AWD. I've definitely been caught out a few times myself, and it would be great if they changed it, but part-time 4WD is what's available in the majority of serious trucks, and I doubt Suzuki will have much of an incentive to change that.

www.globalsuzuki.com/allgrip/index.html

2004 Jimny Mode: General Grabber AT3s (215/75/R15); Trailmaster 2" Lift; Jimnybits Snorkel; Jimnybits Front and Rear Recovery Points; Suntop Roof Rack; AVM Manual Hubs; Stainless Steel Exhaust System (SOLD)

More
10 Feb 2018 18:31 - 10 Feb 2018 19:26 #189244 by auchenblae
Correct about ALLGRIP.

The Jimny has lets say a MK1 version with no centre diff and manual selection of 4WD

Then say Mk3 was the first SX4

Now on the latest Vitara and the SX4 S-Cross etc say it is MK4 ALLGRIP with a center diff.

At best it is 2WD and you can turn a knob and it will still be 2WD but will automatically go into 4WD when it is slippy. Not as good as a Subaru going down a hill as the Subaru has engine braking on 4 Wheels.

The Grand Vitara appears to have full time 4WD with a center diff and a limited slip diff I guess on the back axle. That to my thinking is better but that may be just too expensive for the market the Jimny has to sell into
The problem that Subaru, the Suzuki Grand Vitara and AUDI now have is the extra fuel consumption during the other 10 months a year when the 4WD may or may not be needed.

The latest AUDI's that are being announced have a different version of the Quattro system that only goes into 4WD when it is slippy or is needed. Similar to the 4WD system on the VW cars

eddie

16 SZ3
07 JLX+ gone 16
99 JLX gone 07
Last edit: 10 Feb 2018 19:26 by auchenblae.

Time to create page: 0.191 seconds