BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show

More
19 Dec 2018 08:03 #199175 by Max Headroom
I guess its far too early and in any case most of it would be speculation, but has there been any word of a convertible variant of the new Jimny?
I've seen one or two "artists impressions" but I would doubt if they come from any officialdom.

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Dec 2018 09:52 #199177 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show

Foxtrot wrote: When Suzuki makes an excellent, low CO2 1.0 litre 3-cylinder turbo engine

I have a 3 pot in my Celerio which is excellent and if it is anything to go by then a turbo version would be superb.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

More
19 Dec 2018 10:09 - 19 Dec 2018 10:46 #199178 by Foxtrot
Replied by Foxtrot on topic New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show

helijohn wrote:

Foxtrot wrote: When Suzuki makes an excellent, low CO2 1.0 litre 3-cylinder turbo engine

I have a 3 pot in my Celerio which is excellent and if it is anything to go by then a turbo version would be superb.

I wonder if the reason for not using the turbo engines is that the engine will be revving at a higher rate when in 4low making the turbo kick in, which would make off-roading a bit more erratic/challenging? My only thought is that the 1500c naturally aspirated engine is robust and provides a smooth delivery of power. i.e more direct throttle response (due to the lack of turbo lag)
Last edit: 19 Dec 2018 10:46 by Foxtrot.

More
19 Dec 2018 10:12 #199179 by auchenblae
Re the braking issue this is not Jimny only. Those who are racing MX5 Mk4 cars, that is made from mid 2015 are finding during high speed twisties that the brakes are being applied automatically and that is with the stability control switch in the off position.

There are also reports of unexplained rear end brakeayswith road cars that are causing these cars to be written off.

eddie

16 SZ3
07 JLX+ gone 16
99 JLX gone 07

More
19 Dec 2018 21:49 - 19 Dec 2018 21:57 #199201 by Foxtrot
The Suzuki Jimny website has been updated to allow you to configure your model and show all the prices.

cars.suzuki.co.uk/new-cars/jimny/
Last edit: 19 Dec 2018 21:57 by Foxtrot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: reedx, Bill Portland

More
20 Dec 2018 19:22 - 20 Dec 2018 19:22 #199241 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show
Couple of live videos from today

www.facebook.com/BigJimny4x4/videos/349757822493743/?t=0

www.facebook.com/BigJimny4x4/videos/292020171518847/?t=0

Proper pictures and video edit to follow

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 20 Dec 2018 19:22 by mlines.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Foxtrot, Bill Portland

More
20 Dec 2018 21:27 #199252 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show
And a full photogallery of pictures is here
www.lines-associates.com/piwigo/index.php?/category/562

A taster...

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
The following user(s) said Thank You: Halford

More
21 Dec 2018 13:32 #199265 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show
Had my test drive today and loved it. Being a complete Jimny noob, I wasn't sure what to expect, but found the ride absolutely fine. It's a bit bouncy and obviously not as smooth as a modern hatchback, but more than acceptable for daily use. Fair bit of transmission whine but overall noise levels were fine too.

Manual box was ok, but didn't make me revise my decision to get an auto, I think it would get tiring pretty quickly in traffic, despite a feather light clutch.

Space inside was great, especially in the front and with the front seat setup for me (5'10"), I still had decent kneeroom when sitting behind.

Looks even better in the flesh, absolutely gorgeous thing!
The following user(s) said Thank You: reedx

More
21 Dec 2018 15:16 #199267 by Max Headroom

Gadget wrote: Space inside was great, especially in the front and with the front seat setup for me (5'10"), I still had decent kneeroom when sitting behind.
!

Ha! That's exactly what I do when auditioning a car; set the seat in the front how I want it then go and see what the guy in the back has to suffer! :laugh:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Gadget

More
21 Dec 2018 16:53 #199269 by Foxtrot

Max Headroom wrote:

Gadget wrote: Space inside was great, especially in the front and with the front seat setup for me (5'10"), I still had decent kneeroom when sitting behind.
!

Ha! That's exactly what I do when auditioning a car; set the seat in the front how I want it then go and see what the guy in the back has to suffer! :laugh:

I am 5'2" so there is always plenty of room in the back of all my cars, even in the Jimny...:laugh:

More
22 Dec 2018 12:55 #199312 by Bill Portland
I had a drive in a white sz5 yesterday. Loved it, and just what I expected (I've no experience of earlier jimnys) and felt quite stable and comfortable for the 20 minute drive on urban single and dual carriageways. A little underpowered maybe. No off roading allowed but I don't think those capabilities are in doubt.

It seems big enough for my purposes which was my major concern, but the show stopper might be the roof rack capacity; 30kg is not a lot and I have a heavy kayak to go up there. I'd have thought the roof must be designed not to crumple much if rolled so it can't be a strength issue. Is it just the pendulum effect if driven "enthusiastically" through the twisties that they're worried about? If so, gentle driving should be ok, shouldn't it?

My dealer is very laid back about what and when they're going to be receiving cars to sell - "I expect someone from suzuki will let us know something in January". So I'm not expecting anything soon.

Sent from my Lenovo YB1-X90F using Tapatalk

More
22 Dec 2018 13:51 - 22 Dec 2018 13:52 #199313 by Max Headroom
Years ago I bought some hideously feeble roofbars for my 2CV and carried two heavy racing windsurfing boards with no ill effect other than my fuel consumption went up. I'm not aware of there being a limit on the 2CV but if there was it was exceeded tenfold. I was more concerned about the very weak tubular roofbars failing than the roof!
What is the roof-rack capacity of the outgoing Jimny - surely they are comparable?

Last edit: 22 Dec 2018 13:52 by Max Headroom.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bill Portland

Time to create page: 0.216 seconds