BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show

• AlexK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Sep 2018 07:02 #196350 by AlexK
Replied by AlexK on topic New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show
The press pack says:

Max towing weight (braked) kg 1,300
Max towing weight (un-braked) kg 350
Trailer nose weight kg 75

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Sep 2018 09:39 - 01 Oct 2018 20:04 #196353 by Foxtrot
Replied by Foxtrot on topic New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show

AlexK wrote: The press pack says:

Max towing weight (braked) kg 1,300
Max towing weight (un-braked) kg 350
Trailer nose weight kg 75

The towing specs are the same as the old 1300, hopefully the 1500cc will have a bit more grunt with the extra 20Nm. I use to tow a 900kg caravan with my old Jimny and it did struggle up hills.

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Attachments:
Last edit: 01 Oct 2018 20:04 by Foxtrot. Reason: better picture

More
29 Sep 2018 11:42 - 29 Sep 2018 11:54 #196358 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show
Added links to a few more reviews here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/6-jimny...how?start=300#196150

Oh and although its in Italian, this one is worth a look simply because the reviewer seems to think it's a WRC car and gets it completely airborne over a jump :ohmy:

Last edit: 29 Sep 2018 11:54 by Gadget.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Foxtrot, AlexK

• AlexK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Sep 2018 14:12 #196360 by AlexK
I don't speak a word of Italian, but I got more out of that video than I did all the other reviews put together.

More
29 Sep 2018 17:02 #196361 by reedx
Replied by reedx on topic New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show
That Italian review was much more informative. Better off-road tests than in the German launch videos. It looked like the car was on Italian plates.

Colin

More
29 Sep 2018 17:53 #196362 by facade
Replied by facade on topic New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show
If it will tow 1300kg, fingers crossed we get a poverty spec auto then, and I'll get one B)

Don't suppose the steel wheels & winter tyres off the current one will fit, as I recall the tyre sizes are different.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• AlexK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Sep 2018 20:02 #196365 by AlexK
From memory, I think the auto is only available on the top spec SZ5.

More
29 Sep 2018 20:25 #196366 by facade

AlexK wrote: From memory, I think the auto is only available on the top spec SZ5.

But I don't want to pay for bling alloys that let the tyres down all the time, imitation leather seat covers, a satnav that I will never be able to afford to update, and a camera that shows a picture of the roadsign I can see out the window.

I do want to not have to mess with a gearlever though. :angry:

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• AlexK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Sep 2018 07:34 #196372 by AlexK

facade wrote: ...imitation leather seat covers...

Cloth seats across the range for Jimny, so that's one thing off the list! :evil:

I'm at the press launch in November so I'll ask them about this. In Frankfurt I think they said predicted auto sales were tiny, so this is likely them trying to simplify the imported range.

More
30 Sep 2018 10:57 - 30 Sep 2018 10:59 #196377 by facade
I would like to go back to The Olden Days, when you specified exactly what options you wanted and paid just for them, rather than having to buy a "package" or "trim level". In America that meant that you could get a 7 litre Mustang with drum brakes, no power steering and rubber mats if you wanted.

I suppose now cars are built by robots it is much harder to specify minor changes than when they were hand built (you would think that it would be easier....)

I mean it about alloy wheels, every single one that I have ever owned has corroded and let the tyre down, whereas steel ones last forever.

Oh and can you find out if it really has dreadful electric power steering as some reviews say, rather than nice reliable belt driven hydraulics.

Last edit: 30 Sep 2018 10:59 by facade.

More
30 Sep 2018 11:48 #196378 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show
Actually it's really easy for robot lines to make even the smallest of changes.

If you ever get the chance to go through a factory tour is fantastic. I have been to range rover in Solihull. Each car on the line is different, from different models (Range Rover, Range Rover Sport, Discovery) all on the same line at the same time through to different specifications such as the seat stitching colour. Given the number of options across the 3 models including Autobiography custom models each vehicle is almost unique. Even the men inside the automated paint machine (only real humans can do door shuts properly apparently) have the colours changed automatically in the guns they hold between cars.

It's truly impressive

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• AlexK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Sep 2018 15:56 #196382 by AlexK

facade wrote: Oh and can you find out if it really has dreadful electric power steering as some reviews say, rather than nice reliable belt driven hydraulics.

I'll add to my list. In fact, let's have a new thread in case others have questions they'd like answered...

Time to create page: 0.250 seconds