BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show

• MadsV
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Jul 2018 13:24 #194263 by MadsV
Replied by MadsV on topic Re:New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show
Here is a video of a lifted one with larger tires, looks like the brake LSD works

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jul 2018 15:01 #194264 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show
I wonder how the brake 'LSD' compares to the hardware version available for the rear? If the add-on LSD is expensive, wouldn't it be better to spend the extra and get a fully locking rear diff?

• OlaGB
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Jul 2018 15:14 #194265 by OlaGB
Replied by OlaGB on topic New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show
Nothing will ever beat a full locked diff that can be switched on/off, in offroad situations. But a brake-controlled lsd is way cheaper to make, and most people dont need more capability than that.

It's gonna be interesting to see how the stock axles holds up to the brake-lsd system, when the 30"+ guys starts to abuse it.

Dual lockers + HD axles are most likely still the way to go.

More
13 Jul 2018 15:38 #194266 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show
Once you get used to getting the rev range required to optimise the action it is very effective. I have had it on land rover (range rover) products for years, sometimes combined with a real locking diff and sometimes not. You have to give it enough revs to work with but not enough to overwhelm it.

Best examples to see it working are videos of discovery sports and Evoques which have this set up without locking diffs, but be aware most are fitted with road tyres so are often videod stuck :)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• HeadForTheHills
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Jul 2018 20:57 #194307 by HeadForTheHills
Replied by HeadForTheHills on topic New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show
I thought brake assist LSD - ESP ‘All Grip Pro’ was standard ithe never than 2105 Jimnys.

• HeadForTheHills
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Jul 2018 21:01 #194308 by HeadForTheHills
Any expectations on the1.5’s 0-60 or more importantly 40-60 for overtaking Sunday drivers ?

• jim
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Jul 2018 21:25 #194309 by jim
Replied by jim on topic New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show

HeadForTheHills wrote: Any expectations on the1.5’s 0-60 or more importantly 40-60 for overtaking Sunday drivers ?

With the new jimny being 15%, 20% more power and revised gearing, I would like it closer to 10 seconds. Realistically it will probably only shave a second or two off.

More
15 Jul 2018 21:40 #194311 by auchenblae
No the system on the post 2015 cars was there at say more than 10 mph it would brake one wheel to prevent the car skidding.

The new box of tricks adds the facility at low speed or when the car is not moving to brake a wheel in order to get the car moving.

eddie

16 SZ3
07 JLX+ gone 16
99 JLX gone 07

More
16 Jul 2018 13:01 #194330 by Jezz
Replied by Jezz on topic New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show
Just found this, if it can be believed.

The old 1.3-litre engine is replaced by a new and lighter 1.5-litre four-cylinder petrol unit developing a little over 100hp at 6,000rpm and 96lb ft of torque at 4,00rpm. Two transmissions are available: a five-speed manual and a four-speed automatic. Under the new Worldwide Harmonised Light Vehicle Test Procedure (WLTP), the manual Jimny emits 178g/km CO2, with the auto higher at 198g/km.

That puts it in band I and J respectively. So like the current model, Small car in the big car tax bracket again.

It's been fettled just a tad.

• HeadForTheHills
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Jul 2018 13:24 #194331 by HeadForTheHills

auchenblae wrote: No the system on the post 2015 cars was there at say more than 10 mph it would brake one wheel to prevent the car skidding.

The new box of tricks adds the facility at low speed or when the car is not moving to brake a wheel in order to get the car moving.

This thread says otherwise ( i.e. 2H and 4H skid prevention ; in 4L brake assist LSD )

www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum?view=to...7747&start=12#188226

More
16 Jul 2018 13:31 #194332 by auchenblae
If you look at the Suzuki Corporate site it appears that the engine is used in APV people carrier and it is a very old engine. It may not have VVT that the current Jimny 1.3 has.

I think it may well have a version of the pre 2000 Jimny engine.

That would give high emissions.

I'm sounding like a broken record but this car is basically for third world use and apart from some hardore users in Europe, most people will buy an Ignis or Swift 4WD car.

eddie

16 SZ3
07 JLX+ gone 16
99 JLX gone 07

More
16 Jul 2018 13:41 #194333 by auchenblae

HeadForTheHills wrote:

auchenblae wrote: No the system on the post 2015 cars was there at say more than 10 mph it would brake one wheel to prevent the car skidding.

This thread says otherwise ( i.e. 2H and 4H skid prevention ; in 4L brake assist LSD )

www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum?view=to...7747&start=12#188226

Sorry Head for the Hills you are just wrong

During normal speed the new car has a version of the existing skid control or stability system.ie when not in Low Box.

As the poster assumes the low box will connect via the low box switching to engage a get you out of trouble box of tricks that works at these low speeds to lock a wheel even from a stop situation. We do not know if the system in low box allows stability control at say 10mph or whatever the cut in speed for the system in low pox.

eddie

16 SZ3
07 JLX+ gone 16
99 JLX gone 07

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds