BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show

More
07 Jul 2018 02:14 - 07 Jul 2018 02:16 #194073 by Rabid Rhino
I was so excited I posted before checking. Stupid deerstalker cap & pipe didn't work. I felt so Sherlock Holmes.
You gonna get them in the Phillipines ?
I just brought a LHD 1998 Jimny in the UK but still have to wait 5 years before I can bring it into the US. Well, gives me time to modify it.
After seeing the history & the ideas behind the styling of the new Jimny like taking queues for the single indicator from the LJ10/20 I now want one but it will be another 25 years before they're legal here.

Looking for a nice clean and straight LHD Jimny..... Not any more.
Got one that seems to have been magnatized and driven through the "Big Jimny Bits" parts stores too quickly so it missed a few items.
Last edit: 07 Jul 2018 02:16 by Rabid Rhino.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jul 2018 03:30 #194074 by zukebob
Replied by zukebob on topic New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show
They are supposed to be coming here at the end of this year or the beginning of 2019. Honestly, I have mostly stopped following the new release. I guess I'm what Filipinos call "tampo". Basically, that translates to pouting. It is clear from the specifications that they continue to use the TW-40 transmission and that just barely met the torque input specifications mated to the M13. I have been a fan of the auto gearboxes for off-roading for some time but would worry about the new model. I think the torque output of the K15B is going to cause some problems with the current AT. Maybe I just need to go back to the dark side and use a manual transmission.

Keep your fingers crossed for the States. I know Suzuki was teaming with Toyota on some project. There were some rumors a while back that Toyota may actually be tempted to enter into a small 4X4 market in the U.S. If that happened, it would almost certainly be a rebadged Jimny. That gets into a long-shot rumor, but it's fun talking about.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left

More
07 Jul 2018 17:25 - 07 Jul 2018 20:49 #194097 by Foxtrot
Replied by Foxtrot on topic New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show
Has anyone got any firm info if it will be front wheel drive or rear wheel drive when in 2w high, I have read a couple of articles which suggests it will be front wheel drive including this TG magazine review?

www.topgear.com/car-news/first-look/more...ils-new-suzuki-jimny

www.autoexpress.co.uk/suzuki/jimny/10054...cifications-revealed
Last edit: 07 Jul 2018 20:49 by Foxtrot.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
07 Jul 2018 18:03 #194098 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show
When you look at the ends of the axles you can see what looks like a free wheel hub on the front with just a cap on the back, it would be difficult for it to be fwd with that.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Foxtrot

More
07 Jul 2018 19:32 #194101 by Jezz
Replied by Jezz on topic New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show
If it's front wheel drive, It will be staying in the showroom.

It's been fettled just a tad.

More
07 Jul 2018 21:16 - 07 Jul 2018 21:17 #194109 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show
To me it is the current jimny underneath. Pretty much the same chassis and running gear. Pictures coming out of Japan seem to show modifiers fitting current lifts to new jimny's. I think it will be rear wheel drive in 2 high

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 07 Jul 2018 21:17 by mlines.

More
08 Jul 2018 07:31 - 08 Jul 2018 07:31 #194113 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show
It's 100% RWD in 2H, same as the old model. Just lazy reporting for journos, probably copied from each other, rather than doing the research themselves. Info direct from Suzuki.

www.globalsuzuki.com/globalnews/2018/0705.html
Last edit: 08 Jul 2018 07:31 by Gadget.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Foxtrot

More
08 Jul 2018 14:04 #194118 by auchenblae
For those of us that do a lot of road miles, one big issue was the engine noise at 70mph that by and large made you reduce speed to about 60mph or so.

I thought the 1.5 litre engine would be a big help but doing the calcs the new 1.5 is doing 3,539 revs and the old car is doing 3,660 revs not realy much different.

The car is being optimised for off road use which is correct as Suzuki now have 4 car type units with 4WD.

The Vitara, SX4, Swift and the Ignis and talk of a new Grand Vitara in the next year or two.

eddie

16 SZ3
07 JLX+ gone 16
99 JLX gone 07

• Stumpjumper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Jul 2018 14:47 #194119 by Stumpjumper
Replied by Stumpjumper on topic New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show
I find the optimum speed for my vehicle is where it seems to provide little resonance. Ideally @30mph I would be in 3rd gear, 40-60 would be covered by 4th gear, dual-carriageway I'd pop into 5th. Even on a motorway I'd sit @ 60-65, droning along quite happily unless a long steep hill appeared ( not many of them in Dorset ) and I would slip back into 4th..... 30 years ago I'd be ragging the arse off of it!#@!....how times change :dry:

More
10 Jul 2018 17:15 - 11 Jul 2018 09:10 #194172 by Foxtrot
Replied by Foxtrot on topic New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show
A few short off road videos made by Suzuki.

Last edit: 11 Jul 2018 09:10 by Foxtrot.

More
11 Jul 2018 06:55 #194182 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show
Not sure if this grill is OEM or aftermarket, but looks great, love the J40 Land Cruiser look.
Attachments:

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
11 Jul 2018 09:40 #194185 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show
Apart from the hearing aid beige colour i quite like that.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.201 seconds