BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Winch size

More
25 Sep 2018 06:47 #196252 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Winch size
A commonly used rule of thumb is 2.5 times your car weight.
So 6000 should do it.
As most say if you buy a cheaper winch of a china made brand you could go one size up.

If you are one of the 5% buying a winch that will actually use it, you should look into things like line speed, using rope instead of wire and the weight as well.

I see almost no one using a snatch block anymore, wonder why..
I sold my 8500lbs china winch years ago planning to buy a faster 6000 size something with rope, in a cradle, and use a 2" reciever..
But no need for it yet.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Sep 2018 20:04 #196271 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Winch size
It's not so much about where the winch is made, more about how it's made and by who.

All cheap winches are made in China today, also the Tabor-range of winches from Warn. But this doesn't mean it's a cheap winch similar to those 13000 lbs £300 winches sold under different brands, like Winchmax and such.

Similar or perhaps even a bit better is the Goodwinch TDS winch. Still a budget winch made in China, but proven quality and comes with great service from Goodwinch. And also with different options with motors, drums and air-freespool.

So my choice for a winch would any day be a Goodwinch with steel-cable over a cheaper Winchmax with cheap synthetic rope. And no, even if it's labeled Dyneema rope etc on a £300 Winchmax winch. it's still made in china. And yes, there's a difference, when it comes to ropes :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.085 seconds