BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:Buying Guide

• Honeyguide
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Jul 2017 17:46 #182680 by Honeyguide
Replied by Honeyguide on topic Buying Guide
Hi, I am new and just signed up. I run an conservation organization in Tanzania ( www.honeyguide.org) and I am thinking of using the Jimny as a key vehicle for management of conservation areas because i think it is cheaper to run than landrovers or landcruisers.( I have used Landrovers for years).
So I do not know much about them, I am about to buy a used one Japan as a trial car, so need advice on what I should avoid etc. Also, I need the car to be quite capable in tough conditions, the roads are rough and in the wet season, almost impassable ( however I think the Jimny could do it with the help of a few bodies).
I would like help, in the form of advice when selecting a used car- i would like to share the links and just have advice.
Once a car is selected, advice on any mods and where I can purchase these mods ( larger tyres, adjust the ratio of gearbox etc to get good performance and other ideas).
Can you advice or point me in any direction for any help?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• CompleteNovice
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Sep 2017 18:37 #183839 by CompleteNovice
Replied by CompleteNovice on topic Buying Guide
Hi everyone, looking at getting my first jimny. Been browsing quite a few and found a nice one 03 plate JLX with 80k on it, and looks standard. It's going to be for shooting, and maybe the odd bit of off roading nothing too serious. So ive also been stalking the forums. ( Also the boot and sills look rust free, but a mechanic friend will be giving it a look over before i buy ) Im wanting to lift the car, i know this topics been covered many times, body lift or suspension lift? I think for my needs if a 2" body lift would allow me some bigger tyres that would be more than suitable, or would this not be the case? Would this mean other alterations? Brake lines etc? Also thinking about wheel spacers?
Yes I'm new

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Sep 2017 16:44 #183889 by 1066Boy
Replied by 1066Boy on topic Buying Guide
Spring spacers would be simpler and easy job. Standard brake hoses are fine up to 2" lift if the anti-roll bar is left on. :)

• CharlesS
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Jan 2018 06:38 #188082 by CharlesS
Replied by CharlesS on topic Buying Guide
My name is Charles and I am new member of this forum, but I have been reading posts in the Tech and Chat sections for a several months.
Recently I spent a few hours at the Suzuki dealership in Makati Philippines talking to the salesmen/women about this vehicle. Apparently the vehicles in the Philippines do not have the same features as those in Australia, UK, and Germany.
The vehicles I drive in the USA are a 1998 Jeep Cherokee for Rock Crawling in Moab,Utah and a 2011 Jeep Wrangler for Mild Off Roading and driving daily in San Diego, California. The Jimny will be used as a daily driver and provide me the enjoyment of driving in the mountains and country areas of the Philippines which will involve driving on country and mountain roads with loose dirt and mud, partially flooded streets, and trips in the rural areas with reasonably good gas mileage.
Why is the diesel, rear disc brakes and the Immobilizer not available in the Philippines? No one can answer that question.
After some research; the Philippines version of the 2018 Jimny could possibly come with a diesel instead of just the 1.3L gasoline engine which would provide the Jimny with a nice boost in engine TQ, HP and MPL.

Looking forward to purchasing a Jimny JLX in the next several months.

I am reading about its capabilities, what to watch out for, how to repair the problems and what modifications work without breaking the bank.

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Jan 2018 09:13 #188084 by 1066Boy
Replied by 1066Boy on topic Buying Guide
Welcome to the club CharlesS and good luck with your new toy when you get it. :)

More
09 Jan 2018 03:20 #188153 by zukebob
Replied by zukebob on topic Buying Guide

1066Boy wrote: Welcome to the club CharlesS and good luck with your new toy when you get it.

Welcome to the club and welcome to the Philippines. I'm another person from the States that relocated here. In my case, permanently. You are correct that the Jimnys in the PI are a little different from other markets. None are VVT. The latest imports have anti-lock brakes and airbags but you can still find new ones in the dealerships without.

Either way, you will love the car....you'll just hate the traffic

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left

• CharlesS
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jan 2018 04:11 #188154 by CharlesS
Replied by CharlesS on topic Buying Guide
Bob,

Thanks for the information about the Jimny.
PM sent.

• kamkaran
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 May 2018 12:55 #192939 by kamkaran
Replied by kamkaran on topic Buying Guide
You have really did your best.well done brother.

• CalumRaasay
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Dec 2018 13:32 #198528 by CalumRaasay
Replied by CalumRaasay on topic Buying Guide
Hello all, new here. Been researching and looking to purchase a Jimny for a while now, and not even that long in searching a few good deals have come up locally. I had set out thinking 2008 models and beyond, with lower mileage, happy to pay a good price for one.

The wildcard that came up today though was an 'O2' edition convertible in great condition, with a hard top, 67K on the clock for 2500. I'd be going to see it in person but from what I see no rust to be seen, MOT history is shockingly clear of problems. Only thing is, on the phone, I asked about any 'wobble' past 45mph. He said there was, mentioned the king pins, bearing etc., said he'd be happy to lower prices, put it through the garage etc.

My question is, do you guys see any mention of the 'wobble' (depending on whether its braking etc) as a deal breaker usually? She looks in great condition, I just don't know if it's something most people would run a mile at.
Attachments:

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
02 Dec 2018 13:50 #198530 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Buying Guide
Not if they're going to fund fixing it and the rest of the car is sound. If it had other problems as well then I'd walk away but if they're being genuine and upfront then ok.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• paradox1001
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Dec 2018 14:20 #198532 by paradox1001
Replied by paradox1001 on topic Re:Buying Guide
I’d rather have to replace mechanical parts than cut out rot and weld fresh steel in.

All Jimnys will need the king pin bearings doing sooner or later.

More
02 Dec 2018 21:13 - 02 Dec 2018 21:14 #198553 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Re:Buying Guide

paradox1001 wrote: All Jimnys will need the king pin bearings doing sooner or later.

My brother owned a Jimny O2 from new for many years. When I bought my Jimny he told me exactly what Paradox here just said - Jimny's WILL need the king-pin bearings doing. And probably sooner rather than later.

Mine gets a little wobble at 45mph. It could be wheel-balance but I bought a king-pin bearing kit ages ago and simply haven't yet had the time to get on and do it. The job is not too difficult to do at all.

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 02 Dec 2018 21:14 by Max Headroom.

Time to create page: 0.181 seconds