BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

What did you do to your jimny today?

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
14 Jun 2019 12:37 #209938 by Lambert
Fitting king pin bearings. It is officially one of my least favourite things to do. Not because it is difficult, it isn't. What it is is messy. And greasy. And I'm getting too old for that! Blergh.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jun 2019 14:58 - 14 Jun 2019 15:02 #209943 by mlines
Took my Jimny to RedMetal Fabrication for some more "upgrading"

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Attachments:
Last edit: 14 Jun 2019 15:02 by mlines.

More
15 Jun 2019 15:14 #209984 by RainerK
Installed a new horn and fog lights, finaly.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
15 Jun 2019 16:31 #209988 by Riccy
Been hunting the cause of a worrying shake and rattle sound from the driveline today. I was almost convinced the transfer box bearings were gone so started pulling the props off. Feeling the box as i turned the various inputs/outputs and listening it all sounded ok. Did the same with the gearbox. Checked the oils. No problem found :angry:

Looked further back and found the rear panhard rod adjuster nut was stuck up from where it should be and the rod rattled on the thread. Took it off cut it off (bolt cold-welded itself to the bush insert :-( ). Lots of play in it so pinched the new one destined for Ulysses and fitted that. Need to weld this one to fix it i think, but needs length set first for Ulysses.

Test drive and no difference to the noise :evil:

Another look around under and realised there were some wheel studs missing from the passenger side rear :woohoo: :blink:

Pinched some from an old shaft and welded the buggers in this time :laugh:

Test drive and Yay! its fixed the mystery worrying noises :-)

This goes to prove that the cause of a noise, wobble or vibration can be far from the obvious thing sometimes. Just glad I dont have to rebuild the transfer box!

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
Attachments:

• NickR
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jun 2019 11:50 #210052 by NickR
Replied by NickR on topic What did you do to your jimny today
Hi JimnyStu,

This looks interesting! Does this mean you may have a decent 3D model of the Jimny double-DIN aperture? My to-do list includes making some form of surround to neaten up the aperture around the 8" display I have in mine at the moment. Nothing fancy - just to cover non-display parts and match it to the centre stack bezel.

If you do have a 3D model, is it something you may be willing to share...? :)

Nick

• buddhuu
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Jun 2019 18:48 - 18 Jun 2019 18:49 #210109 by buddhuu
Replied by buddhuu on topic What did you do to your jimny today
Fitted a pair of Suzuki wind deflectors and finally got round to fitting the Jimnybits roof rack. I put the brackets on a week ago but had to wait for my brother-in-law to crop up and help me lift the rack up there. Damn thing weighs a metaphorical ton.

I had a perfectly good bar-mounted rack on it before but I'm in the middle of a two-stage house move and I'm going to have to get some pretty heavy items up there. I was concerned that the plastic feet on the stock roof rails wouldn't take the punishment, so I got this.
Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Jun 2019 18:49 by buddhuu.

More
20 Jun 2019 19:52 #210172 by yakuza
Changed the bolts fastening the rear seat bottom hinge to the floor, to M8 thumb screws I bought on ebay. Now i can more easily remove the flip-up seat for sleeping on the passenger side.
Slowly turning it into a camper :)

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
21 Jun 2019 16:38 #210186 by Scimike
Fitted a light bar, not because I need one, more to make it look a little different to all the Cashcows, Pukes and the rest of the SUVs out in the world. I now have the famous "how to get the cable in" dilemma without resorting to a snorkel. When I've figured it out I'll post some photos.

The sun even came out to have a look!

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Attachments:

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
21 Jun 2019 17:07 #210187 by Riccy

Scimike wrote: Fitted a light bar, not because I need one, more to make it look a little different to all the Cashcows, Pukes and the rest of the SUVs out in the world. I now have the famous "how to get the cable in" dilemma without resorting to a snorkel. When I've figured it out I'll post some photos.

The sun even came out to have a look!

Nice. You could route the cable in through the back door. Have a look where it meets the roof from above on the hinge side. Its got a big enough gap for a cable to sneak through ;-)

I ran a multi-core SY flex up there, looped it down and in through the door rubber alone. Zero holes drilled. It goes to a junction box on the roof-rack, then connects to various lights that way. The SY flex is because it has a sort of metal armouring layer, and looks pretty :laugh:

you can just see the cable peeking out of the hinge side of the rear door here...

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
Attachments:

More
21 Jun 2019 17:45 #210188 by RainerK
@ykuza: Couls you post a picture? Thank you!

More
01 Jul 2019 19:26 - 01 Jul 2019 19:27 #210495 by Scimike
Thanks for your suggestion Riccy, running the cable to the rear was on the cards if getting it in via the A pillar turned out to be impossible.
However today I investigated the possibility and went for it with my drill. Yes you can get a cable in via the aerial mount without damaging anything.

The following pictures show the hole position, I am just waiting for my cable to turn up, already pulled through a mains flex cable as a tester.
Going to use an XT30 connector to allow disconnection and profile Ariel mount plastic for a better exit angle, sealing with black silcaflex.

Hole position from top

Screw driver inserted just to show angle of hole as drilled. This clears both the Ariel important bits and the bodywork.

Will post more pictures as I wire it up.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Attachments:
Last edit: 01 Jul 2019 19:27 by Scimike.

More
02 Jul 2019 15:14 - 02 Jul 2019 15:16 #210512 by Scimike
Today I made the light bar switch mount using the " I don't know what it's for blanking button", mounted switch and fused relay. Just waiting for my 12v red / Black cable to arrive and I have working light bar. It's cheap and Chinese, I'll report back with any issues, but so far so good.

Switch and drilled Jimny blanking button.

All fitted ready, pleased with the look even if I do say so myself :laugh:

Attachments:
Last edit: 02 Jul 2019 15:16 by Scimike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Max Headroom

Time to create page: 0.420 seconds