BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

What did you do to your jimny today?

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Aug 2018 16:02 #195179 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic What did you do to your jimny today
Phew...... Well done, yeah have to treat the jim now :D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Aug 2018 17:09 #195181 by jackonlyjack
That's great news for you
I tried to mot mine the other week to be told
You're too early by the nice man only nearly 2 months :woohoo:

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Aug 2018 18:18 #195182 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic What did you do to your jimny today
Good effort Jack :D

• NineCherries
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Aug 2018 12:07 - 17 Aug 2018 12:08 #195205 by NineCherries
Replied by NineCherries on topic What did you do to your jimny today
Hahaha better to be told you’re too early by the mot man than it’s expired by a police constable though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edit: 17 Aug 2018 12:08 by NineCherries.

More
17 Aug 2018 14:05 #195210 by jackonlyjack
Very true ;)
Only down side is it would have probably past
But it won't now after the peaks visit i now need to replace track rod end
On a plus side i already have four new one's in stock

More
30 Aug 2018 21:45 #195589 by Scimike
Not exactly today, but last weekend we towed our teardrop caravan for the first time and I am over the moon with the way our little Jimny performed.

On paper its all a bit "iffy", a 1.3 petrol engine and a maximum unbraked limt of 350kg suggests it can't pull the skin off rice pudding. Compare this to our old car which the Jimny replaced, a 1.2 TDI Polo with 560kg unbraked limit, performance more in line with my needs, you can understand my concerns.

However it towed the caravan without any issues, without thrashing the engine and returned the same 36 mpg I get without the extra load. Well happy with the Jimny, makes me smile every time I drive it.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
31 Aug 2018 04:32 #195592 by Lambert
Fyi the unbraked limit as stated in the hand book is hoakum. The tow limits in there are 350kg unbraked and 450kg braked followed by the caveat that they only apply unless local regulations differ, which under the construction and use regs as amended they do as it is stated there that the unbraked limit is half the kerb weight of the vehicle. I have attempted to get a meaningful reassurance from Suzuki uk about this but they are singularly disinterested that there is such a discrepancy in the application of the available information. I carry a print of the relevant section of the regs in the car in the event of being stopped by the police or vosa.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
31 Aug 2018 07:40 #195594 by Basketcase
A few weeks back I towed a compass pentara 2 birth caravan home with my jimny and it pulled it great....should I not have done?

More
31 Aug 2018 09:10 - 31 Aug 2018 09:12 #195598 by Scimike
Thanks Lambert,
Agreed the towing limits are all a bit fudged and I have seen the "unless local regulations differ" statement, but my VC5 states 350Kg Unbraked and 1300Kg Braked!!!!
If the VC5 has no stated limits then I believe the 50% rule could be applied, as is the case with my old Land Rover, but as my Jimny is new ish (2009) the VC5 states everything.
I believe Vosa or the police will just go by this, anything else is just "may be and but officer" at this side of the road, or a potential law case that I doubt I can afford.

So Basketcase your Compass caravan should have been OK if under 1300KG, well it would be on my 2009 VVT, as I assume your Caravant has brakes..

I doubt it will ever be an issue unless I turn it over or cause an accident and the police come snooping. The Caravan plate is 350Kg so at first glance its appears ok.. But the caravan has supplies loaded (sleeping bags, clothes, food, china etc etc) which in total pushes the caravan to 440KG AUW, over the 350kg limit but under the 50% rule. Who knows, but I do know it towed it very nice and had little influence on the way the Jimny drove.

Result !

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 31 Aug 2018 09:12 by Scimike.

• Jjbradshaw1
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Sep 2018 10:07 #195705 by Jjbradshaw1
Replied by Jjbradshaw1 on topic Re: What did you do to your jimny today
Just got my Jimny back from a five month MOT, can’t complain when the work is free but still. A new front screen, new pads, discs, 2” lift, adjustable panhards, 8” wheels, 235/75 tyres and a service later I’ve got her back. Only problem is it’s now too tall for the dog to jump in the back!

Next order of business, I’ve got a raptor4x4 roof rack, new head unit, new bulbs, snorkel and need to restore the headlight plastic. Also still got a swift sport engine in the garage to fit when my friend and I have an empty weekend :)

Question; to fit a larger wheel on the back door to match the other 4 do you need to modify the mount or strengthen the door hinge?
Attachments:

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
05 Sep 2018 12:22 #195707 by Riccy
Jimny bits sell a spacer thing to allow up to a 31” tyre to go on the back door

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jjbradshaw1

• Jjbradshaw1
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Sep 2018 20:30 #195721 by Jjbradshaw1
Replied by Jjbradshaw1 on topic What did you do to your jimny today
Raptor4x4 roof rack and a pair of Hella 500 fitted this evening (still for the wiring to do tomorrow). Didn’t get the stereo in as need some different hardware to keep it in place.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.380 seconds