. . (01 Nov 2019)
× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.[/size][/color][/b]

What did you do to your jimny today

More
17 Jul 2019 13:58 #211189 by Daniel30
I installed Alexa in the jimmy today, prime day deal echo input £15.00 now i can choose millions of songs just by voice and everything else you can do with Alexa turn on heating and lights at home :lol: traffic updates in the area etc

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jul 2019 06:58 - 21 Jul 2019 07:00 #211350 by Reason2doubt
Today was a long day! The plan was to swap out the battered radius arms on the Jimny with some that I recently picked up cheap and had painted. The new radius arms had brand new standard bushes in at the axle and polybush orange at the chassis. The plan was simply cut out all of the bolts - don't even attempt to unbolt them. I did not anticipate 20 year old bolts coming out nicely even with plenty of WD40 or blowtorching!

Firstly we got the car jacked up and started on the driver side rear. After about half an hour of hacking away the bolts the arm came loose.
File Attachment:

Bad news, the front mount on the axle had snapped and was completely detached from the axle. Looks like it was very thin after knocking the crud off it, I think it's simply been flexed too much and torn, due to the bush being absolutely hollowed out in that area.

Got to work creating a template bracket with some spare metal sheet (5mm thick) and started to shape it:

File Attachment:

Little test fit. Bracket closest to the hub reaches from front to back to reinforce the whole mount, and a smaller bracket was welded to what was left on the other side. The brackets were made a little bit bigger this time to make them more robust.

File Attachment:

View from the back - same test fit with the new radius arm:

File Attachment:

Not having ever welded before, I was fortunate enough to have a go of my dads welder - its old...(the welder)...and its' from the early 2000's when he used to go greenlaning in his Suzuki Samurai. I dragged up a couple of photos of what that used to look like - coincidentally I recently recovered a load of the photos from some ageing CD's!

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Welders look away now... got the brackets tacked on in position, then got to work "welding" (if you can call it that! Not the prettiest job, but it seems to be damn strong!) - took my time to not heat up the axle too much so did max 30 seconds of welding then gave it a few minutes to cool down in between as to not upset any bearings or oils.

File Attachment:

Seemed to be holding well when the wheel was put back on. No splitting or popping from the metal.

File Attachment:

Fitted the arms with some of those protector plates on the chassis - they were an arse to get on as the mount needed to shaved a little bit, the plate itself had to be cut and it was just a pain in the arse, but hopefully it will serve the car well longer term!

File Attachment:

Did the same for the other side which was a straight swap. Also fitted some rear shock re-locator brackets as it was a 5 minute job when I still had the tools out:

File Attachment:

Next weekend I'll try to get the front ones done as the bushes are equally as shot there. It's going to the garage tomorrow to get a new exhaust and clutch, so fingers crossed that will make this little thing sound and go properly :)
Last edit: 21 Jul 2019 07:00 by Reason2doubt.

More
23 Jul 2019 21:02 - 23 Jul 2019 21:03 #211433 by stiffsteve204me
Fitted a center armrest.

File Attachment:

Two usb ports on the front.

File Attachment:

Three to the rear, along with a cup holder.

File Attachment:

Steve.

“He that strikes the venison first shall be the lord o' the feast.” — Shakespeare, King Lear.
Last edit: 23 Jul 2019 21:03 by stiffsteve204me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy2640

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
28 Jul 2019 11:18 #211586 by Lambert
I would post a picture but I can't photo sound or indeed do it justice recording it on my phone. Sorry. Rest assured though. It's now very loud with the new speakers and clear too, right into the last 5 points of the volume scale. Very chuffed!

Dreadnaught (black 2011)

More
28 Jul 2019 12:42 #211587 by Daniel30
Nice, better than the Bluetooth speaker ;) ;) ;)

Don't know where the other posts went?

• Lambert
    Registered
More
28 Jul 2019 13:17 #211588 by Lambert
Different threads. The other is in the post man thread.

Dreadnaught (black 2011)

More
28 Jul 2019 20:22 #211613 by Daniel30
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: ah OK, been one of those days

More
30 Jul 2019 11:11 #211648 by Garuuu

jtayl153 wrote: Finally got round to taking some pictures of my dual battery system which is now all set up.

Here's my starting battery (just the standard battery).

Here's my Auxillary Battery. Its an Optima D34. It's an amazing battery. It can be used both as a starting battery and a deep cycle battery. It's this that I'll have my winch and fridge running off.

Here's the isolator:

Basically, when I start the car, the starting battery does the work. When the starting battery is fully charged, the isolator kicks in and the Aux battery is then charged. I can run the Aux battery completely flat and it's still able to be recharged, no worries. If the starting battery goes flat (lets say I leave my lights on over night), then I can flick the switch on the isolator, the Aux battery will give some charge to the starting battery, equalizing it, and then I can start.

Also, you know those weird plastic things around the interior? these?

Well I found a use for one of them!

Hey what year is your jimny and did you buy a bracket or did you make one

More
30 Jul 2019 11:30 #211649 by BGBrit
Looks good and pro... Now you just need to change that dirty old brake fluid for safety sake..

More
03 Aug 2019 11:20 #211771 by grumyoldjoe
I did nowt.
Was supposed to change front pads after seeing excellent wiki on here, but.
Unable to get wheels off as the locking nuts are solid and now have snapped heads. see pics
Been on since tyre upgrade in October and I jus cant budge them at all now as the key wont bite.
Will have to wait until Monday now when bro in law garage open and let him sort it.
Just glad not had a puncture during the winter I would have struggled to change wheel.

Wine improves with age.
The older I get the more I like it
Attachments:

More
04 Aug 2019 14:23 - 04 Aug 2019 14:25 #211810 by Reason2doubt
Fitted new steering arms and front panhard rod as the old ones were very corroded. Re-fitted the steering damper I put on a few weeks ago and that works a lot better now with the thicker steering bar. Went to halfords to get the tracking seen to as we could not get it completely straight without the proper kit - cost £32.

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Couldn't get the back panhard rod off as one of the bolts was stuck tight. Tried a bolt extractor tool which shattered off. I think I am going to have to hacksaw the captive nuts off on each side and just re-fit them with regular M12 bolts and nylock nuts.
Last edit: 04 Aug 2019 14:25 by Reason2doubt.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
12 Aug 2019 05:00 #212039 by Lambert
I have been hunting for the source of a squeak for nearly two weeks now. Sounds like a stone in a brake caliper, except it isn't. Had all the brakes in bits and cleaned. Nothing. Then it would stop for a while. Then come back and even occasionally make a almost grinding noise and stop suddenly like the stone having been ejected. Had it up on stands running while I listened with a stethoscope. Nothing. Yesterday it started again but I managed to get it into service whilst it was still squealing. Definitely front near side, so start investigating, wheel off and spin, funny noise like the abs sensor is touching on about 5 teeth on the ring. Take the free wheel hub off and silence. It seems like the inner parts of the free wheel that attaches to the drive shaft had got a little too dry and was sometimes vibrating in it's bushing. Couple of drops of gear oil and reassemble. Test drive to Bradford and sweet az a nut. Just need to repeat on the off side.

Dreadnaught (black 2011)
The following user(s) said Thank You: zukebob

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds