BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Re:The Rat Trap

• Keirravn
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Apr 2019 21:00 #206741 by Keirravn
Replied by Keirravn on topic The Rat Trap

JimnyBob wrote: Nice paint job.

They always rot behind the front lights, check under the front arch liners as well.

Oh fun :P

I've left the headlights out for now so can weld in some patches. I'll take the front wheels off to paint and whilst they dry take the liners off and get in about the rot

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Apr 2019 12:44 #206760 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic The Rat Trap
Oh.... Nice colour!
B) [smiley thumbs up needed here]

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
The following user(s) said Thank You: Keirravn

• Keirravn
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 May 2019 22:09 #207087 by Keirravn
Couldn't get a good picture in the space I have but painted the wheels and added white paint lettering to the tyres.

Discovered a tragic amount of corrosion behind the bumper/front arch liner. Too much to bother patching so I've refitted the bumper and decided it's something to tackle in a few months time after I've actually been able to enjoy the Jimny for a while.

Just diff and box oils to change, new gearbox/rear engine mount to fit, spare tyre to mount and dash cluster to replace and all the basic work will be done.

I'm going to use it for a while, let my funds rebuild a little, then add a few wee mods.

More
02 May 2019 13:21 #207117 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic The Rat Trap
I really like the colour and finish, nice choice.
Is it satin \ matt or have I just insulted your high sheen finish? Hope not, just take from this it looks ace. Just interested in the paint you used.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Keirravn
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 May 2019 21:57 #207246 by Keirravn
Replied by Keirravn on topic Re:The Rat Trap

Scimike wrote: I really like the colour and finish, nice choice.
Is it satin \ matt or have I just insulted your high sheen finish? Hope not, just take from this it looks ace. Just interested in the paint you used.

Cheers :)

It's satin NATO green so certainly no insult :P

It looks awesome from a few + feet away but up close there's brush marks galore. I bought rollers and thinners but just couldn't get the paint on without bubbles using the roller.

If I was to do it again I'd buy more expensive paint from one of the online shops with a good reputation.

Searching for 'hand painted/roller painted defender' brings up lots of info as many of the landy guys roller paint their motors.

More
04 May 2019 06:56 #207262 by stiffsteve204me
Replied by stiffsteve204me on topic Re:The Rat Trap

Keirravn wrote:

Scimike wrote: I really like the colour and finish, nice choice.

Cheers :)

It's satin NATO green so certainly no insult :P

It looks awesome from a few + feet away but up close there's brush marks galore. I bought rollers and thinners but just couldn't get the paint on without bubbles using the roller.

If I was to do it again I'd buy more expensive paint from one of the online shops with a good reputation.

Searching for 'hand painted/roller painted defender' brings up lots of info as many of the landy guys roller paint their motors.

Green suits it. Maybe an open top?

File Attachment:

Steve.

“He that strikes the venison first shall be the lord o' the feast.” — Shakespeare, King Lear.

• Keirravn
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 May 2019 13:27 #207284 by Keirravn
Less car to paint anyway :P

More
04 May 2019 18:00 #207299 by stiffsteve204me
Replied by stiffsteve204me on topic The Rat Trap

Keirravn wrote: Less car to paint anyway :P

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Steve.

“He that strikes the venison first shall be the lord o' the feast.” — Shakespeare, King Lear.

• Keirravn
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 May 2019 07:46 #207714 by Keirravn
Had a loud transmission whine so decided my first attempt to cure it should be a full driveline fluid change. I'd noticed when doing the CV some milky oil on the driveshaft anyway.

All very easy nothing stuck. Front diff was half full of just water. As I loosened the drain plug pure water started dripping out.

Also helpful but probably obvious tip - gearbox oil will pour out the filler hole if the front of the car is raised. DOH.

• Keirravn
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 May 2019 07:48 - 11 May 2019 07:48 #207716 by Keirravn
Whilst having a nosy in prep for the job I noticed the rear engine/gearbox mount had split so also replaced that.

I've gone from loud transmission whine on acceleration to 0 unusual noise :)

I suspect the transmission was going out of alignment and causing the noise as the transfer gearbox and rear diff oils all looked ok
Last edit: 11 May 2019 07:48 by Keirravn.

• Keirravn
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Jun 2019 17:42 - 29 Jun 2019 17:44 #210440 by Keirravn
No update for a while as our baby made an early appearance and then my daughter and I went on a trip. Back to it now though and aiming to get the car ready to begin offroading next month :)

Picked this up today with the aim to DIY a roof rack. Discovered the Jimny would make a great safari vehicle :P
Last edit: 29 Jun 2019 17:44 by Keirravn.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
30 Jun 2019 04:53 #210450 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic The Rat Trap
Nice bit of lateral thought that, plenty of pree made elements to just fasten together. Like that a lot!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds