BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Deluxs new black Jimny, Project KZA

More
09 Dec 2018 15:39 #198795 by Delux
Ann Update!

This week my Jimny has kept Paypal and the postie busy

File Attachment:
20181208_134613 by deeelux deeelux , on Flickr

First on the agenda in the Hot rod shop was the gaping crater in the boot. My corrosion assesment tool was deployed

File Attachment:
20181209_123109 by deeelux deeelux , on Flickr

I do not claim to be a panel beater and in an ideal world I'd be lifting the body off and spot welding a new boot floor in. However, in the real world I am just a mechanic with a welder and a patch is a decent enough

File Attachment:
20181209_121432 by deeelux deeelux , on Flickr

Then blasted it with some etch primer

File Attachment:
20181209_122054 by deeelux deeelux , on Flickr

Etch primer is good for repairs like this because it has acid that eats into the metal to stop it flaking off. I'll give it a coat of something better when it is dry

File Attachment:
20181209_122127 by deeelux deeelux , on Flickr

At this point I had to stop to refuel

File Attachment:
20181209_134631 by deeelux deeelux , on Flickr

Thanks Mrs. Delux!

Part 2 to follow...

Busiest Mechanic in Scotland!
My pics (inc. pics of my latest Jimny project)...
www.flickr.com/photos/159422664@N08/albums
My ebay stuff for sale...
www.ebay.co.uk/usr/deeelux

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Dec 2018 15:56 #198796 by Delux
Deluxs guide to replacing brake pipes!

My technique is one that has been honed and fine tuned over several years as a mechanic replacing rusty, leaking brake pipes on cars so bad you wouldnt let your dog cock a leg on them. All this while some old, failed mechanic hassles me to hurry up so he can give it back to the customer who assumes they are being ripped off! :laugh:

Anyway, its brakes so you dont want to mess about. The car has a recent MOT, the brake pipes are not the worst I have seen but, using my techniques they needn't be difficult or expensive. Cheap peace of mind is always good, right?

I start by clamping off the rear brakes. I'll be bleeding the whole braking system later but doing this now maintains the fluid level in the rest of the system and lessens the chance of having air trapped somewhere.
Rather than mess about I cut the old brake pipe at the brake pipe end.

File Attachment:
20181209_125439 by deeelux deeelux , on Flickr

This means you can get a decent single hex socket on the end and remove it quickly. The original brake pipe ends on my 54 plate Jimny and every other Jimny I remember working on are 10mm.

File Attachment:
20181209_130006 by deeelux deeelux , on Flickr

You obviously need to do this either end of the pipe. If you do it 1st, all the brake fluid will have dripped out before you remove it meaning less mess. Next remove the retaining clips

File Attachment:
20181209_124639 by deeelux deeelux , on Flickr

File Attachment:
20181209_124922 by deeelux deeelux , on Flickr

File Attachment:
20181209_125208 by deeelux deeelux , on Flickr

They are 10mm self tapping bolts. If you can get them off 1st time, thats fine but a bag of 10 new ones off ebay is only a few pounds.
Before going any further I like to make sure the bleed screw is good enough to bleed the brakes. I have seen people replace all the brake pipes on a car only to discover one of the bleed screws is blocked/rounded off. No-one likes to see a mechanic cry!

File Attachment:
20181209_130220 by deeelux deeelux , on Flickr

More
09 Dec 2018 16:16 #198798 by Delux
Ok, so if all went well you should have this on the floor.

File Attachment:
20181209_125539 by deeelux deeelux , on Flickr

So now we need some shiney new pipes to fit on. Do not stress about making up a brake pipe the same length yet. We are doing a nice neat custom job rather than setting ourselves needless hurdles!
Making new brake pipes involves using one of my favourite tools. My brake pipe flaring tool was about £30 from ebay about 10 years ago. It does a great job every time, flares copper or steel pipe, has very few moving parts to go wrong and you dont need a vise.
Slide the new brake pipe end on first! You feed the new pipe in, finger tighten the 2 10mm bolts, tighten the 16mm bolt at the end. This positions the pipe to be flared. You then tighten the 10mms to clamp the pipe

File Attachment:
20181209_130605 by deeelux deeelux , on Flickr

When the pipe is clamped you screw this bit in. This end gives you a male flare. On most Japanese cars the pipe has a female flare.

File Attachment:
20181209_130730 by deeelux deeelux , on Flickr

So you unscrew it and screw the other end in, this gives the flared end a female flare

File Attachment:
20181209_131324 by deeelux deeelux , on Flickr

Now you can refit it. Feed the pipe roughly in position ensuring it is routed the correct side of suspension components etc. Dont worry about the shape or length. Screw the end into the wheel cylinder etc with your fingers. This can be tricky on a jimny as the pipe does not fit in at right angles to the cylinder. Once its started tighten it up. I'm using a brake pipe spanner but you dont really have to. Remember you are tightning it up to compress the seal on the pipe. You dont want to tighten it up until your arm is shaking!

File Attachment:
20181209_131805 by deeelux deeelux , on Flickr

Dont hold the spanner at this angle unless you want to punch the underside of a jimny! When this end is tight shape the pipe and fit the clamps/clips back on as you go. When you get to the other end cut the pipe. Leave a few cms of slack. Your bends are not going to be as sharp as the factory ones so your pipe needs to be a bit longer.

File Attachment:
20181209_132448 by deeelux deeelux , on Flickr

Flare the new end on, screw it in. Tweak the position of the pipes as necessary and thats it! Easy!

File Attachment:
20181209_143311 by deeelux deeelux , on Flickr

File Attachment:
20181209_143352 by deeelux deeelux , on Flickr

More
09 Dec 2018 16:36 #198799 by Delux
Deluxs guide to replacing your aerial

I done this guide today on my 54 plate convertible but its the same procedure for hardtop and older versions.
First step is to disconnect the old aerial, or whats left of it. If your car has its original aerial you will find there is a small extension lead between the end of th aerial lead and the back of the stereo head unit. Its usually under the dash next to the centre console on the drivers side.

File Attachment:
20181209_143949 by deeelux deeelux , on Flickr

Its the fat, black cylinder in the centre of the pic. Cut the cable tie off and give it a pull, aerial lead should unplug. I mention this because someone was asking about reception problems and their aerial was ok. If corrosion is in this plug your radio reception will be rubbish! Anyway, follow it along, this one runs along the under dash bar thru some reusable cable ties. Follow it along until it disappears into the roof pillar to make sure its free all the way along.

File Attachment:
20181209_144318 by deeelux deeelux , on Flickr

Its hard to picture, it leads over the top of that black box into the pillar. Easier to feel than show!
Next, tie a bit of string round it. You can tape a bit of wire to it but I prefer string as you can tie it and its harder to accidentally pull off!

File Attachment:
20181209_144556 by deeelux deeelux , on Flickr

Now you can unscrew the aerial base and carefully pull it out the pillar. As mine is a convertible the aerial base is on the pillar facing forward. On the hard top the base is kinda above the front corner of the door but the procedure is the same.

File Attachment:
20181209_144721 by deeelux deeelux , on Flickr

Keep going, gently until

File Attachment:
20181209_144739 by deeelux deeelux , on Flickr

I just pulled a bit off the end of a big ball of string. If you are just using a length of string make sure you have enough length!
Anyway, my aerial (on the right) is off ebay (about £20) and the lead is much longer which makes it easier to refit.

File Attachment:
20181209_144907 by deeelux deeelux , on Flickr

Feed the aerial plug in 1st gently pulling the string back thru. Dont pull too hard, some jiggling may be required. You may need to fish the new plug out the hole in the pillar. Once its thru bolt it back on. The one I bought was slightly thicker so I couldnt use the original screws, luckily it was supplied with new ones which were fine.

File Attachment:
20181209_145752 by deeelux deeelux , on Flickr

As this aerial has a longer cable it will reach the head unit. I will remove the extension cable and run it straight into the head unit. Just not today as I forgot my radio pins!

More
17 Dec 2018 21:39 #199122 by Delux
No update this week. Not because I am lazy! Had one of those weekends where you just cant get the matches to light!
Popped in to finish something off at work on Saturday morning, ended up working until 4!
Sunday, attacked the Jimny with an angry expression and a bag of tools. Tried taking the N/S/F hub assembly off to sort the leaky seal/kingpins etc. but got stuck with a spinning track rod end nut. Tried jacking it up but the nut was having none of it! Nothing in the tool bag to cut the nut to bits.
Decided to get stuck into the service instead. Drained the oil, realised I had nothing to take the oil filter off, or take the spark plugs out.
Switched to the timing belt. Removed the fan, radiator, fan belts. Realised I didnt have an 8mm socket with me so stormed off in the huff. Rest of the day was taken up with Tesco, top gear and candy crush. I promise a better update next week!

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
18 Dec 2018 05:25 #199131 by Lambert
Been there, done that!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
18 Dec 2018 08:07 - 18 Dec 2018 08:07 #199136 by Max Headroom

Delux wrote: ! Had one of those weekends where you just cant get the matches to light!

Heheh similar but different- It's a bit like that working big jets with the clowns for managment that we seem to dig up from somewhere - its like trying to work with one arm tied behind your back and blindfold.
In fact in the RAF we had a saying...
“We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now qualified to do anything, with nothing.”

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 18 Dec 2018 08:07 by Max Headroom.

More
30 Dec 2018 15:18 - 30 Dec 2018 20:29 #199712 by Delux
Een update!

Had to turn the Jimny round, so had to refit the rear wheels. Started with giving the brake drums a splash of paint...

File Attachment:
20181216_102214 by deeelux deeelux , on Flickr

Slackened off the handbrake cable. Wound the nut off the cable to the last few threads...

File Attachment:
20181216_100916 by deeelux deeelux , on Flickr

File Attachment:
20181216_101005 by deeelux deeelux , on Flickr

Once the cable had been slackened I removed the rubber cover and adjusted the brakes. I turned the ratchet wheel on the adjuster until a bit of resistance can be felt turning the drum. Then apply the footbrake a few times and recheck. Light resistance when spun means its ok.

File Attachment:
20181216_102233 by deeelux deeelux , on Flickr

I then adjusted up the cable at the handbrake until I had 5 or 6 clicks.

File Attachment:
20181216_105941 by deeelux deeelux , on Flickr

More observant readers will have spotted I forgot my plain screwdriver and used a small chisel to adjust the brakes, LOL!

My current project is HERE!

Last edit: 30 Dec 2018 20:29 by Delux.

More
30 Dec 2018 15:35 #199713 by Delux
Now the Jimny was facing the other way round I could get stuck into the repairs at the front. Corrosion-wise this Jimny is far less work than my last one but mechanically it is far more labour intensive!

I noticed an oil leak...

File Attachment:
20181223_124745 by deeelux deeelux , on Flickr

1st impression might suggest a leaky sump but leaks tend to work backwards so I need to find the signs of the leak at the frontmost point. (Is that even a word? Frontmost?)

File Attachment:
20181223_124810 by deeelux deeelux , on Flickr

Could be the oil pump, crankshaft oil seal perhaps? I'm doing the timing belt anyway so the cover came off...

File Attachment:
20181223_125107 by deeelux deeelux , on Flickr

Inside the cover was pretty dry suggesting the leak is down the back of the space and not being thrown about leaking onto a pulley.

File Attachment:
20181223_125127 by deeelux deeelux , on Flickr

Not much oil on or behind the crank pulley but if you look close something is running down the engine in the background. So now we need to find the highest point of the leak...

File Attachment:
20181223_125133 by deeelux deeelux , on Flickr

Bleurgh!

File Attachment:
20181223_130146 by deeelux deeelux , on Flickr

Highest point, above pic, is the camshaft oil seal although there is a bit round the rocker shaft plug.
So thats it! Oil leak from the camshaft oil seal! Stick a new one in, end of story.
Or is it?
Why is it leaking?
Could be wear, could be the material has hardened over time.
Then I found this!

File Attachment:
20181223_130715 by deeelux deeelux , on Flickr

PCV valve! A blocked pcv valve increases the pressure inside the rocker cover. Excessive pressure has to go somewhere, usually escaping from the weakest point, the worn, hardened camshaft oil seal!

Removed the valve and left it soaking in some brake cleaner. Its only a small spring loaded flap inside. PCV valve seal decided to resign by falling to bits on removal...

File Attachment:
20181229_104605 by deeelux deeelux , on Flickr

More
30 Dec 2018 15:48 - 30 Dec 2018 20:32 #199715 by Delux
After cleaning the PCV valve was refitted with a new seal (courtesy of Bigjimy store!)

File Attachment:
20181229_104105 by deeelux deeelux , on Flickr

Camshaft oil seal was replaced. I removed the end camshaft cap cleaned the area. Greased the inside of the new seal and tapped it into place using the old seal as a protector.

File Attachment:
20181229_104623 by deeelux deeelux , on Flickr

Rocker cover was thoroughly steam cleaned and treated to a new gasket.

File Attachment:
20181227_121745 by deeelux deeelux , on Flickr

Before refitting, I add a pea sized blob of sealer at the tight bits either side of the cam cap. You dont want to put too much on as it may find its way into the engine and block an oil hole. In this pic I've probably applied more than I usually would but the camera button on my phone decided to ignore my finger the first few presses!

File Attachment:
20181229_105256 by deeelux deeelux , on Flickr

All built up and cleaned! I'm gonna do a timing belt fitting guide for the wiki unless someone has beaten me to it.

File Attachment:
20181229_112639 by deeelux deeelux , on Flickr

I'll take it to work and steam clean all traces of the oil leak but in the meantime, after running for 30 minutes or so the oil leak had not returned!

File Attachment:
20181227_105506 by deeelux deeelux , on Flickr

Last edit: 30 Dec 2018 20:32 by Delux.

More
30 Dec 2018 19:35 - 30 Dec 2018 20:34 #199738 by Delux
To gain access to the timing belt and oil leak I removed the radiator. There are bound to be people reading this now thinking "I've done loads of timing belts and never taken the radiator out!' thing is, it isnt much hassle to take the radiator out and it improves access to everything so much, it is probably faster to take it out than it is to work round.
I started by draining the anti freeze out. I figured if it looked ok I'd probably just pour it back in. I've not sent any for lab analysis but I'm not pouring that anywhere other than the used anti freeze thing at the dump...

File Attachment:
20181216_134626 by deeelux deeelux , on Flickr

It has a woody, almost chemically nose with undertones of stagnant water and algae.

While I was in there I attended to the power steering tensioner pulley. The belt had been noisy and was ripe for replacement but I thought I better check the pulleys etc. The idler outer section had completely seperated from the bearing and it was only the belt tension holding it in place!

File Attachment:
20181227_104523 by deeelux deeelux , on Flickr

I built it back up with new fan belts. I already had them after buying the wrong ones for my last Jimny on ebay! LOL!

Carried out a full service while its in the garage, genuine Suzuki filters are still available in Big Jimnys store so there is no excuse really. I didnt take pictures because it wasnt that exciting but I was a bit confused by the sump washer.

File Attachment:
20181227_122344 by deeelux deeelux , on Flickr

It appeared to have had some sort of cupped washer forced onto the plug, very strange. I'm sure the sump plug is happier now its been fitted with a colapsable mitsubishi washer.

Turning my attention to the nearside wheelarch I could see the front axle was leaking, there was excessive play at the wheel, death wobble at 40mph and the brake pads were worn almost to the metal. There arent many pictures because its messy work and I didnt want stinking kinpin 'grease' all over my phone!
The excessive play appeared to be in the bottom kingpin and the rear track rod end. Usually I would remove both track rod ends, vacuum pipes, brake caliper, kingpins and big seal then slide the whole halfshaft out with the hub and brake disc still on. Which is fine when working on a ramp in a large dealer workshop. However, when working in the smallest workshop that can legally be described as a lock up there isnt enough space to slide the shaft all the way out so I had to remove the hub assembly.
Having removed the complete hub assembly I tried again, only to find there still wasnt enough space! I had to remove the cv joint before I could get the so**ing half shaft out!
This is how it looked after removing the shaft...

File Attachment:
20181227_144243 by deeelux deeelux , on Flickr

Yeah, I wish! Trowelled out all the stinking grease/CV grease/gear oil/mud slop. I had hoped I could get away with changing the oil seal, adding spacers to the kingpins and sticking it all back together. This was the plan until...

File Attachment:
20181223_140544 by deeelux deeelux , on Flickr

I removed the bottom bearing to clean and check it. Familiar scene?! Kingpin bearings promptly ordered!
Its all back together now.

File Attachment:
20181230_123052 by deeelux deeelux , on Flickr

File Attachment:
20181230_123109 by deeelux deeelux , on Flickr

Well, sort of! As I am off work I have to rely on ebay/Bigjimny for parts, usually thats fine but this time of year is a nightmare to be waiting on parcels. Then some blundering fool ordered the wrong side of track rod end! The disappointment faded a bit when I realised the boot it burst on the front track rod end so I can use the wrong one for that!

File Attachment:
20181230_123120 by deeelux deeelux , on Flickr

Last edit: 30 Dec 2018 20:34 by Delux.

• Venter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Dec 2018 21:33 #199741 by Venter
Replied by Venter on topic Deluxs new black Jimny, Project KZA
Great thread, great info, keep it coming!

Time to create page: 0.254 seconds