BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Sheet steel

More
05 Aug 2018 19:57 #194847 by Basketcase
Sheet steel was created by Basketcase
I don’t know which section to ask this. Does anyone know where to get cheap sheet steel from just for patching the body mounts up? I need it asafp didn’t realise the mot was due on the jimny on 9th and I have a couple of patches to do before then and money is VERY tight so needs to be very very cheap or even free? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Aug 2018 20:12 #194848 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Sheet steel
You're miles away from me
Try local tip or scrap man. Local factories you just need an old filling cabinet or similar

More
05 Aug 2018 22:23 #194850 by Basketcase
Replied by Basketcase on topic Sheet steel
Any ideas what thickness I should use to repair/rebuild the body mount on the chassis? May as well tackle that while I’ve got the welder going?

More
06 Aug 2018 06:36 #194854 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Sheet steel
Since i am not a skilled welder i like to use a proper welder and proper steel. Bought my MIG welder used for approx. 200£
The steel i buy from a local steel supplier, 1mm sheet steel is what i use. Not expensive. and a 1x2m sheet would keep you in buisness for a long while. Just remember to spray the sheet with oil to avoid it rusting before you get to use it.
If I get better at welding i might go down to 0.8 thickness but i guess i would burn more holes if i do. But they say 0.8mm is easier to form into the shape you need.
Tried using scrap steel found in dumpsters behind car repair shops, but they tend to be so thin it is a pain to weld when you are not so good at welding..

However for the body mounts you should see what thickness is there allready. when doing reinforced places on the body I try to use same thickness but use a larger reinforced piece.
I try not to lay sheets on top of each other as that is the best way to make rust.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Basketcase

More
06 Aug 2018 06:36 #194855 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Sheet steel

Basketcase wrote: Any ideas what thickness I should use to repair/rebuild the body mount on the chassis? May as well tackle that while I’ve got the welder going?

I would say 3mm minimum for the chassis

More
06 Aug 2018 07:01 #194856 by yakuza
Another thing using scrap steel is that some of it has been produced for cold forming for mass production and not necessary the best welding specifications. In a dumpster you never know what you get..

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
06 Aug 2018 07:30 #194858 by yakuza

jackonlyjack wrote:

Basketcase wrote: Any ideas what thickness I should use to repair/rebuild the body mount on the chassis? May as well tackle that while I’ve got the welder going?

I would say 3mm minimum for the chassis

That is most likely correct..

If you find scrap steel with a weld on it you most likely can weld it ok your self as well.

More
06 Aug 2018 13:58 #194866 by Basketcase
Well it’s just been made 4billion times worse.... got a filing cabinet to cut up and use so started having a go...when all of a sudden jacked it up a bit and oops off pops the rear drivers side mount! From both the chassis and the body! Oops!!
Attachments:

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Aug 2018 14:01 #194867 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Sheet steel
If I were you I'd probably go source original body mounts from a wrecked Jimny at a breaker. Must easier fit.

More
06 Aug 2018 14:18 #194869 by Basketcase
Hard bit is finding one in a salvage yard do you know of any other vehicles I could use the part off? Like a disco or something?

More
06 Aug 2018 14:47 #194870 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Sheet steel
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationSheet Steel...

eBay -

With free delivery!

Or www.themetalstore.co.uk

Dave ;)

More
06 Aug 2018 14:56 #194873 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Sheet steel
Perhaps James 'J999PRE' on here has a solid chassis lying around?

Worth a PM ?

Time to create page: 0.180 seconds