BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

My green laner project

More
19 Sep 2018 00:06 - 19 Sep 2018 08:33 #196107 by ahtr
Replied by ahtr on topic My green laner project
Few more bits off the list.

Had the rear windows tinted, mainly to keep anything in the back out of obvious view.

Managed to snap the fm radio aerial off under a tree which gave me some motivation to start fitting cb. Picked up a splitter to use the cb aerial for fm and cb.

Knocked up a bracket to mount aerial from some spare steel plate, painted black and bolted to spare wheel mount. Removed the rear wiper and washer (never use it anyway!) and ran the cable through the wiper hole.

And wheel back on. Still haven't put cb in but it works spot on with fm!

Gave the wheel arches a slight trim too, had some minor rubbing off road, so hopefully sorted now.

And then a pallet arrived the other day that had an M16a strapped to it...

Hopefully it's a good'un and I can get it swapped this weekend B) Putting a few new parts on engine prior to fitting, bits arriving this week so will do a proper update next week.

My green laner build
2003 Jimny - M16 engine - 4.16 TC - Winch - Snorkel - 30x9.5 Maxxis MT-764 tyres on 15x7 ET-7 offset wheels - 4" lift - Rear floating axles and discs
Last edit: 19 Sep 2018 08:33 by ahtr.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jjbradshaw1
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Sep 2018 13:00 #196125 by Jjbradshaw1
Replied by Jjbradshaw1 on topic My green laner project
Really impressive build so far and I'm asking about the most mundane part you've fitted, the ply line! Did you have to build a frame underneath to level the floor out and rest the ply on top of or did you just cut the ply to the right shape and lay it on top?

Also if you don't mind me asking how much was it to get the 3 rear windows tinted? I'm about to have this done when pay day rolls round.

More
19 Sep 2018 17:37 #196128 by ahtr

Jjbradshaw1 wrote: Really impressive build so far and I'm asking about the most mundane part you've fitted, the ply line! Did you have to build a frame underneath to level the floor out and rest the ply on top of or did you just cut the ply to the right shape and lay it on top?

Also if you don't mind me asking how much was it to get the 3 rear windows tinted? I'm about to have this done when pay day rolls round.

No frame under the ply, made a template and cut out of 9mm ply. Removed all of the seat brackets/bolts, it sits flat across the floor and is well supported. If you left any of the brackets in I imagine you'd have to make a frame. Above the where the jack should be (near back door) is a small tab with a hole in, I fitted an M6 rivnut in there and put a bolt through ply into that. Then across where the front of the back seats used to bolt (if that makes sense :blink: ) , I stuck a couple of bolts into the old seat bracket holes through the ply to secure the front down. To be honest, it's wedged in well, probably doesn't even need bolting down!

Window tints cost £100, may be more/less elsewhere, I was lazy and didn't get any other quotes.

My green laner build
2003 Jimny - M16 engine - 4.16 TC - Winch - Snorkel - 30x9.5 Maxxis MT-764 tyres on 15x7 ET-7 offset wheels - 4" lift - Rear floating axles and discs
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jjbradshaw1

More
23 Sep 2018 20:52 - 23 Sep 2018 20:54 #196232 by ahtr
M16a engine in B)

Started by removing bonnet, stripping off air intake, battery, radiator, exhaust manifold, PAS pump unbolted and tied to one side, alternator out, various brackets holding wiring unbolted. Labelled any plugs removed to help with rebuild. Left the inlet manifold, fuel rail and throttle body in. Disconnected clutch and removed all bolts to gearbox. Unbolted starter and just left hanging out the way.

Ready to lift engine out...

Got engine out and it started raining so spent an hour swapping bits from Liana engine. Swapped back of water pump and coolant pipes, sump, oil pickup, flywheel, rocker cover, crank pulley, couple of brackets and engine mounts. Changed injectors on fuel rail to Liana injectors.

While engine was all out I decided to fit new crank seals, clutch kit and thermostat. These didn't need doing but for the relatively small cost I thought it worth doing. Fitted new gaskets on rocker cover, inlet and exhaust manifold, sump has no gasket and used Loctite 5980 to seal.

Waited for another hour for the rain to stop (joys of working on driveway :dry: ) then went for rebuild! All went back together easy enough.

I decided to use Liana water pump/pulley without the studs for fan, fitted Comex 13" high power fan to radiator with temp switch in rad hose and manual switch in car. Jimnybits 2nd battery tray also fitted a couple of days ago so relocated the washer bottle and expansion tank when refitting.

Refilled with oil and coolant. Started on first turn of the key! Only issue on start up was an injector o ring leaking on cylinder 1. Replaced that and took it for a drive.

For anyone thinking of doing this swap I'd definitely buy inlet manifold and rocker cover gaskets, both of these broke up stripping engine down. Would also get a new oil filter stand/thread, I had a new one ready but tried to get old one out and butchered it. Parts I bought were...

- M16a Liana engine came from breakers

BigJimny shop supplied
- Exedy clutch kit
- Crank seal
- Oil filter stand

Suzuki dealer
- Exhaust manifold gasket (Suzuki 14140-69G02)
- Inlet manifold gasket (Suzuki 13119-69G00)
- Rocker cover Gasket (Suzuki 11189-54G00)
- Thermostat

Started at 9:30am and was out driving by 8:00pm. We got rained off for an hour and with stopping for brews/food it probably took 2 of us about 8-9 hours. I'd highly recommend this swap to anyone. Suzuki should have put this in from the factory, loads more power and picks up a lot better, a much better drive all round.

My green laner build
Last edit: 23 Sep 2018 20:54 by ahtr.

• Jjbradshaw1
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Sep 2018 08:13 #196278 by Jjbradshaw1
Replied by Jjbradshaw1 on topic My green laner project
Did you just use another M13A manifold or did you use one off the Liana? I've got a swift sport engine sat int he garage (I'm trying to persuade my mate to spend 8-9 hours with me pulling the motor out and putting it in :p) and it came with an inlet manifold off the M16A engine but from what I understand they're not so easy to fit.

More
26 Sep 2018 09:16 #196282 by ahtr

Jjbradshaw1 wrote: Did you just use another M13A manifold or did you use one off the Liana? I've got a swift sport engine sat int he garage (I'm trying to persuade my mate to spend 8-9 hours with me pulling the motor out and putting it in :p) and it came with an inlet manifold off the M16A engine but from what I understand they're not so easy to fit.

Used the Jimny manifold and throttle body. Didn't even disconnect them from the car to save undoing a load of plugs and hoses. There's enough room to unbolt off engine and move to one side. Liana intake and throttle body came with my engine but I measured them all and they were the same size as Jimny parts, that's why I never bothered swapping.

Just don't over think it, there's a lot of waffle on the internet. As far as engine swaps go it's about as simple as it gets, would recommend you do it!

Adam

My green laner build
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jjbradshaw1

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
26 Sep 2018 16:32 #196294 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic My green laner project
The swift sport manifold is a fair bit different to the jimny one. I used the Jimny one with a liana throttle body ;-)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
05 Oct 2018 17:30 #196522 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic My green laner project
Just read through this for the first time. This is turning into one cool Jimny!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: ahtr

More
16 Oct 2018 22:32 - 16 Oct 2018 22:40 #196833 by ahtr
Couple more bits off the list...

Fitted interior light in the back, wire fed through the old seatbelt bolt hole, fed off switch just below.

Bought a Warrior Samurai 8000lb winch with synthetic rope. Using an Albright contactor as a winch isolator run from a switch in dash. Took the solenoid etc off the end of the winch, mounted solenoid and contactor on the front of the 2nd battery tray behind the headlight, I'm thinking it's a bit more protected up there rather than on top of winch and saves butchering the bumper.

Picked up a load of 50mm cable, crimps and clips, will spend a morning this week making some cables to run to winch. Probably going to bin off the standard wired remote and use a rocker switch on dash alongside the wireless remote.

My green laner build
Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Oct 2018 22:40 by ahtr.

More
03 Nov 2018 14:40 #197277 by ahtr
Got the winch and 2nd battery finished last week. 2nd battery wired through a big relay from starter battery (similar set up to what X-Eng sell). Popped out one of the centre vents in the dash and fitted winch switches in its place, Albright contactor fed off the left switch and in/out on the right. Voltmeter middle shows voltage of each battery when ignition is on.

Made all the winch cables with 50mm cable, terminals fitted with hydraulic crimping tool and finished with some heatshrink.

And then wired up in car

Had to trim bumper slightly to get easy access to lever on winch but fit in bumper no problem. May get some 1inch spring spacers for front as it's dropped approx 20mm with the extra weight.

Picked up some of Redacted s steering bars and some JB rear recovery points from mc_nebula in for sale section.

Punched a couple of holes in rear bumper and recovery points took about 10 mins to fit.

And then both steering bars swapped over, new bars feel a lot more sturdy than standard parts

Went out for a spin when it was all done and took the scenic route home

My green laner build
The following user(s) said Thank You: Riccy

More
03 Nov 2018 14:46 #197278 by j999pre
Replied by j999pre on topic My green laner project
Consider fitting the Liana throttle body but with the Jimny idle control valve fitted to it. It's made a difference in the ones I've done.

Gold Jimny the best colour (sold) :(

Big red Jimny 32" tyres, arbs, cage 5:1 transfer etc. (Sold)

Grey pick up Jimny
Turbo m13a, arbs, floating rear shafts, disc conversion rear, vented front conversion. 245 70 16. Winch, 3" lift, 4:16 trans hd shafts and CVS

More
03 Nov 2018 15:15 #197279 by X8GGY

Time to create page: 0.213 seconds