BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Ulysses

More
19 Dec 2018 23:18 #199207 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Ulysses
I've been considering trimming my OE bumper down to somewhere near your fabricated one. Then making a front plate from 75x25 box that will carry tow points, not far off where you are.....

sniper
The following user(s) said Thank You: Riccy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Dec 2018 05:52 #199210 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Ulysses
I would say 6 or 8 mm C section steel will work better
The following user(s) said Thank You: Riccy

• Riccy
  • Riccy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
20 Dec 2018 18:24 #199236 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Ulysses

sniper wrote: I've been considering trimming my OE bumper down to somewhere near your fabricated one. Then making a front plate from 75x25 box that will carry tow points, not far off where you are.....

sniper

something like this on J999MNY was easy to make and it attaches to the jimnybits towpoints (its original plate is on show, thats how long this thing has been stuck there!).

That is mostly box section and a bit of thin plate. Not intended to bash holes in the countryside, just neaten up and cover the chassis rail ends. That was before i chopped a big hole in it for the winch :laugh:

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: sniper

More
20 Dec 2018 19:05 #199240 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Ulysses
Thats pretty close to what I was imagining, linked in to the chassis legs on mine, as I won't have the winch plate. A couple of weld on 3t lifting points and I was maybe thinking of a front tow ball.....

sniper

More
20 Dec 2018 21:11 #199251 by jackonlyjack
The following user(s) said Thank You: sniper

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
23 Dec 2018 17:37 #199351 by Riccy
Ive been having a wheelie busy time with these latley... Just the fronts to topcoat tomorrow once the backs dried. Toolstation 'Jet black' from the industrial spray paints bit.

Tyres off and cleaned up with many different sorts of wire brush on a grinder/drill...

Quite like the bare metal colour, but its on with the primer...

then todays progress with the top black...

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

Attachments:

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
23 Dec 2018 17:41 #199353 by Riccy

jackonlyjack wrote: I found these other week after i had sorted mine lol
cheap and ready to weld on
www.screwfix.com/p/hardware-solutions-ey...15-x-65-x-45mm/291cc

I would be a bit wary of using those as towpoints Jack... They are only as good as how they are welded on, and what they weld onto.

I chose to make longer plates to bolt in several places inside the chassis rails on the ones i made, that way they are not going to fly off and kill someone in the event they are used harshly (this is because i dont trust the quality of my welding enough for this job!)

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
23 Dec 2018 18:03 #199354 by Riccy

sniper wrote: Thats pretty close to what I was imagining, linked in to the chassis legs on mine, as I won't have the winch plate. A couple of weld on 3t lifting points and I was maybe thinking of a front tow ball.....

sniper

see above re weld on towpoints. Bolt on swivel ones are available, which would be a safer option, or just longer thick plate right through. In the above pics there is no winch or winch-plate, its just held on by the mounting bolts on the Jbits front tow points, which are a) cheap and available, b) easy to fit and c) proven to be strong and secure.

See here for a tame example of what can happen, that guy wasnt badly hurt, but who knows what will happen...

More
23 Dec 2018 18:16 #199355 by jackonlyjack
Not to worry Pal i am having them welded to 6mm plate then welded into the chassis rails
by a man with great skills :)

• OlaGB
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Dec 2018 19:53 #199363 by OlaGB
Replied by OlaGB on topic Ulysses

Riccy wrote:

sniper wrote: Thats pretty close to what I was imagining, linked in to the chassis legs on mine, as I won't have the winch plate. A couple of weld on 3t lifting points and I was maybe thinking of a front tow ball.....

sniper

see above re weld on towpoints. Bolt on swivel ones are available, which would be a safer option, or just longer thick plate right through. In the above pics there is no winch or winch-plate, its just held on by the mounting bolts on the Jbits front tow points, which are a) cheap and available, b) easy to fit and c) proven to be strong and secure.

See here for a tame example of what can happen, that guy wasnt badly hurt, but who knows what will happen...

Never use straps or firm ropes for this style of recovery, only kinetic ropes.. I bet those guys in that video would recover faster, and alot safer, using a kinetic rope.. A must have in all offroad viechles :)

More
23 Dec 2018 20:50 #199364 by jackonlyjack
I personally would never snatch recover anyone
Also I use a bridal to share the strain ;)

• OlaGB
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Dec 2018 21:13 - 23 Dec 2018 21:14 #199367 by OlaGB
Replied by OlaGB on topic Ulysses

jackonlyjack wrote: I personally would never snatch recover anyone
Also I use a bridal to share the strain ;)

Snatch recovery doesnt have to be brutal.. Even slow speed snatch helps alot, and is way easier on equipment than a firm strap/rope..
But ofcourse, huge consequense if something snaps. Point is that its less likely to snap, compared to regular straps/rope.
Last edit: 23 Dec 2018 21:14 by OlaGB.

Time to create page: 0.235 seconds