BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Alibaba Front Bumper

• mdog18
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Mar 2018 06:23 #191035 by mdog18
Replied by mdog18 on topic Alibaba Front Bumper
Sounds like a nightmare - did either the bumper or the car have to be cut or was it just a matter of having to line up awkward fitting parts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Mar 2018 07:16 #191037 by zukebob
Replied by zukebob on topic Alibaba Front Bumper
No modifications to either the bumper or car. Just difficult to get it to sit correctly initially. After it was complete, no problems. Even took the hit I described in my first post.

A quote in a pm I received from the other forum member that purchased one:

Quick update for you, your lead was very +ve, and I have now received the bumpers direct from China delivered via TNT to UK , and no bother at all with Customs, so that is a bonus.

I'm not sure if that means he wasn't hit hard on duties but he did state that after all costs were totaled, they ran far less than anything else he had seen available. He also noted that the weight does squat the vehicle. I observed the same. Mine was approximately 25mm lower in the front and 20mm lower in the rear after installation.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left
The following user(s) said Thank You: mdog18

More
30 Mar 2018 08:04 #191039 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Alibaba Front Bumper
I can understand the front suspension dropping but the rear also dropping, given that the weight is added forward of the front axle, seems odd?

• mdog18
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Mar 2018 08:44 #191040 by mdog18
Ah thats good to know I was curious as to how the weight would affect ride height. Was handling any different after you had fitted it?

More
31 Mar 2018 01:52 #191076 by zukebob
Thank you Busta. Sometimes I go off track a little. I had both front and rear steel bumpers installed. Mdog18 should expect the front to lower by about an inch. As the bumper he shows will be a little heavier, it might be slightly more than that.

Mdog18:
I didn't feel any difference in handling. Another nice thing is that I didn't notice any difference in fuel economy either.

• mdog18
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Jun 2018 08:54 #193287 by mdog18
Could anyone point me in the direction of an installation guide to fit these bumpers? Mine just arrived today and I havent the slightest clue as to how to fit it! Or would someone on the forum who has already done an install be able to guide me through it?

Thanks,
Mdog18

More
08 Jun 2018 13:10 #193291 by zukebob
I didn't mount mine so I can't help through personal experience. I can take some pictures of the mounting and post them. If this is a DIY install, keep in mind that the shop that installed mine were experienced with these bumpers and it was still difficult. As I mentioned, most of the alibaba/aliexpress vendors will work hard to help so you may want to also contact them for documentation. Don't give up. You will be happy with the result.

• mdog18
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Jun 2018 16:20 #193298 by mdog18
Ok thanks for all your help. Photos would be amazing and I will contact the vendor for some fitting instructions. Will probably end up taking it to the local garage to see what they can do.

More
08 Jun 2018 23:11 #193310 by zukebob
Monsoon rains hitting this morning from a tropical depression. Such is life in the Philippines. As soon as (if) there is a break, I will back it out enough to take some photos and post them.

More
09 Jun 2018 05:52 #193316 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Alibaba Front Bumper
In the UK frontal protection is not allowed from 2008 cars. I don't know the full details but you can look it up. There's a few posts on here if you search.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
12 Jun 2018 01:46 - 12 Jun 2018 03:21 #193384 by zukebob
Water is receding.

Going Down

Should be able to back the Jimny out a little to get some pictures of the mounting today. Hopefully you have been able to research what Kirkynut mentioned.

Update:
These looked good as I was taking them but not sure they show much after actually looking at the pictures.

Let me know if they make any sense.

Lower mounting:

Looking under the bumper:

Attachments:
Last edit: 12 Jun 2018 03:21 by zukebob.

• mdog18
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Jun 2018 11:34 #193396 by mdog18
Thanks so much for taking the time to post the photos. I was aware of the law kirkynut mentioned, however, as my jim is an 07 reg if there was to be any issues I would probably just say I bought it with the bumper already attached.

I'm still not completely clear as to where the lower mount attaches - I assume it's to some part of the chassis? Also was there any drilling required to attach either the lower mounting or the bumper itself? Also - does the front bumper attach to any part of the car or is it solely attached by the lower mounting?

Thanks again for all your help!

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds