BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Discreet but capable

More
20 Mar 2018 19:18 #190642 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Discreet but capable
I echo Jezz's concerns about the rear shock relocators. They are at best useless and at worst can damage the shock mounts. Otherwise I look forward to seeing more progress with this project!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OlaGB
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Mar 2018 19:35 #190643 by OlaGB
Replied by OlaGB on topic Discreet but capable

sniper wrote: I will happily share the results, if anybody wants to buy in on any part (i.e. the final map) I'm happy to oblige. It might get me a better deal and make the tuners work a bit sharper if they think there is more business to be had. The map will be specific to the ITB's and exhaust, so I don't know how much use it would be. (OlaGB)
sniper

Well the M13a vvt route you are going down, which i do find cool due to i like people going theire own way, is kinda the opposite of what most would do i`m afraid.. The M15a or M16a without ITB would be more "common".
I do find it a bit strange that nobody allready have "mainstreamed" this setup/map allready, as it`s a popular swap to do..

Keep on going, i really like youre project and will follow for sure!

More
20 Mar 2018 19:51 #190646 by Busta
There is no remap needed when going from a standard 1.3 to a standard 1.6. Whilst there may be small gains to be had from a remap after the engine swap, the standard ECU adapts to the bigger engine without issues and most people are happy with the 20hp boost you get from the engine swap alone.

• OlaGB
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Mar 2018 20:10 #190648 by OlaGB

Busta wrote: There is no remap needed when going from a standard 1.3 to a standard 1.6. Whilst there may be small gains to be had from a remap after the engine swap, the standard ECU adapts to the bigger engine without issues and most people are happy with the 20hp boost you get from the engine swap alone.

On a pre vvt, i agree. Not so much on a vvt due to comp ratio differences (9,5:1 vs 11:1). Several people struggle with ignition knocking on M16a and M15a vvt on M13a ecu's..
For some strange reason, some struggle and some not though. And i'm still trying to figure out why, as i want to swap to M16a myself soon.

More
20 Mar 2018 20:39 #190651 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Discreet but capable
I'm sorry I've done it again.........

I will be doing a full map when the ITB's are fitted but that will be on a Motorsports Electronics ME221 ecu.

Mike Noble (Noble Motorsports) has declined a tune on the factory ecu, some sort of technical overwriting issue.

I have virtually no experience of ECU tuning, I can balance DCOE's by ear but that's not much help these days, bit of a dinosaur.

So I don't think the map would be of use unless you follow the same path OlaGB.

I confuse myself.......

sniper

• OlaGB
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Mar 2018 20:54 #190652 by OlaGB

sniper wrote: I'm sorry I've done it again.........

I will be doing a full map when the ITB's are fitted but that will be on a Motorsports Electronics ME221 ecu.

Mike Noble (Noble Motorsports) has declined a tune on the factory ecu, some sort of technical overwriting issue.

I have virtually no experience of ECU tuning, I can balance DCOE's by ear but that's not much help these days, bit of a dinosaur.

So I don't think the map would be of use unless you follow the same path OlaGB.

I confuse myself.......

sniper

Not too suprised, seems like the Denso ECU is a bit hard to work with for most tuners.

But you might be high on the ranking list for the most expensive jimny for 2018 if you keep on going like this LOL

More
20 Mar 2018 21:14 #190654 by sniper
Busta, this is where my lack of time with the car is telling, I understood the rear shock relocation brackets were a positive and gave more travel ???

sniper

More
20 Mar 2018 22:44 #190658 by Busta
They are just a spacer, they don't increase the overall travel. They make the shock 2 inches more compressed at normal ride height, in turn allowing the wheel to drop 2 inches lower on full extension. But unless you are careful to extend the bump stops accordingly, at full compression the shocks bottom out before the axle meets the bump stops and this causes the shock bolts to break (ironically the other reason people fit them is to reduce the stress on the lower shock bolt...).

• OlaGB
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Mar 2018 19:27 #190695 by OlaGB
You might have seen this, but ill post it anyway.. Dyno run before and after fitting extrator + exhaust.. A bit dissapointing :/

www.jimny-crew.com/jimny-on-the-dyno.html
www.jimny-crew.com/exhaust-upgrade-dyno-results.html

More
21 Mar 2018 23:03 #190708 by sniper
Yes I had seen it OlaGB, I wouldn't be happy to lose power.

I think that the car just had the exhaust fitted then a power run on the standard induction system.

Making an engine work well is about balance, if you remove a restriction on one side of the combustion chamber (free flow exhaust), you may create a restriction on the induction side as it cannot now match the flow. This causes loss of velocity in the exhaust (one chamber dragging gasses from the next) and that's where his losses are.

Match a free flowing exhaust to an induction system that can match its flow and you will get more power. There are a few engines that suffer big torque losses with low back pressure but my memory fails me. Generally, the faster the gasses flow through the engine the better the performance.

The 1.3 VVT is already revvy but imagine it being able to rev like a bike engine, wanting gears as fast as you can change them. Thats what I'm aiming for but then I will build a certain amount of restriction into the exhaust. The manifold, cat, silencers can be manipulated to put your torque curve where you want it, finding a fella who can do it without development is the clever thing. Or have a few stabs at it and see what happens.....

sniper

More
28 Mar 2018 08:55 #190955 by sniper
Five weeks wait in the end but from first impressions, worth it. Quality feel and appearance.

Off in to Mansfield, found a workshop with a ton of off roaders outside, only want £100 to fit springs and shocks and it was going to cost me £50 to hire a ramp.... Lets see how we get on.

sniper
Attachments:

More
28 Mar 2018 09:22 #190957 by sniper
Three wheels on my wagon....... They only sent 3 dampers, a mess up on their end.

Final one delivered tomorrow, very frustrating. It's the third time I've planned to fit them.

sniper

Time to create page: 0.179 seconds