BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Discreet but capable

More
19 Feb 2019 08:11 #203436 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Discreet but capable
Hi Quasi, No information other than the TUV certificate I'm afraid.

First impressions are good but coloured somewhat by a damaged front damper. Even with that, the ride over washboard type tarmac is much improved.

Body roll seems little changed.

I will be able to give a firmer opinion later in the week when I get replacement front dampers.

sniper
The following user(s) said Thank You: Quasi

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Feb 2019 06:29 #203506 by Quasi
Replied by Quasi on topic Discreet but capable
Thanks sniper, I hadn't thought of thought of the TUV certificate. I've managed to work out what i wanted. Looking forward to an update.

Mark

More
22 Feb 2019 15:21 - 22 Feb 2019 15:24 #203685 by sniper
This turned up this morning and I was very surprised.

Rus at Jimnybits agreed to send a replacement damper FOC, I thought that was great but I expected a week or two delay as +30mm was a special order. Three days later and it's here...... Excellent stuff, told me to keep the old unit for spares too.

Get it fitted and sort a loose rear shock bolt. Then hopefully, all suspension work is complete.

sniper
Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Feb 2019 15:24 by sniper.

More
22 Feb 2019 17:12 - 22 Feb 2019 17:13 #203694 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Discreet but capable
Nice shocks! Still running them on the front of mine four years later! And they've taken some abuse in that time! :evil:

The rears would probably still be on if the axle hadn't wrapped when the radius arm mountings broke away and twisted the piston rods... still have them in the garage as Russ (kindly) suggested that AVO could rebuild them... not got round to it yet though.

But, I waffle, they are awesome shocks...
Last edit: 22 Feb 2019 17:13 by X8GGY.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sniper

More
25 Feb 2019 12:50 #203814 by sniper
The shock has been fitted and a loose rear shock bolt replaced and I've had a run down a couple of local, easy drive lanes.

The Eibach springs have made a fair impression, they soak up washboard type bumps much better than the KYB's and the car is quieter (fewer rattles).... both on and off road.

There is increased lean but it's predictable and hasn't worried me so far.

So far so good, I can't wait for a decent trip out to see the change on some tougher drives.

sniper

More
04 Nov 2019 08:52 #215344 by sniper
A few pictures of the old girl in action....

My third trip to the Lakes, a birthday bash for Riccy.

The car just keeps coping with whatever is put in front of it. Tyres, suspension and diff work very well together.

Three and a half hours at 70-75 mph each way without missing a beat and it is a fairly comfortable drive. 70mph is bang on 4,000rpm and the engine is still eager to push on. Crazy little engine that has come to life with use and a bit of Mobil One.....

sniper
The following user(s) said Thank You: Riccy

More
27 Mar 2020 00:33 - 02 Apr 2020 07:40 #220301 by sniper
This thread has come to an end.

The car is completed and very useable, capable and fun to drive. It genuinely puts a smile on my face (when I don't think about the money).

If anybody followed the build spec, I'm sure they would be happy with the car.

I have enjoyed driving lanes so much that I have found need to fit a snorkel, that sort of shoots the "Discrete" down in flames. This. car will become the base of another build thread which will be a bit louder.... well it will have a snorkel anyway.

Checkout "Tread Lightly" on the build threads.

Thanks for looking....

sniper
Last edit: 02 Apr 2020 07:40 by mlines.

Time to create page: 0.203 seconds