BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Discreet but capable

More
13 Feb 2019 18:21 #203132 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Discreet but capable
Well, that's a tad more lift than I was expecting.......

Dave at the garage did me proud, new springs, poly bush panhard bushes and poly bush castor correction bushes, all fitted for £200

Only had a short drive on a tight and twisty back road and it feels different, a tad twitchy on the steering but I think that's because the lift has tightened the anti roll bar. I might be able to adjust the dampers to address it or it's another spend on adjustable drop links.

sniper
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
13 Feb 2019 18:44 #203136 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Discreet but capable

sniper wrote: Well, that's a tad more lift than I was expecting.......

Only had a short drive on a tight and twisty back road and it feels different, a tad twitchy on the steering but I think that's because the lift has tightened the anti roll bar. I might be able to adjust the dampers to address it or it's another spend on adjustable drop links.

sniper

Lol! :laugh: welcome to the lifted club :laugh:

You should try it for 'twitchy' with huge tyres on :ohmy: :unsure:

Be interesting to see how you get on with the adjustable droplinks. Mine is better with the antiroll bar disconnected once you get used to the body roll :laugh:

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
13 Feb 2019 19:01 #203141 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Discreet but capable
It looks ok matey give it time to settle
as for drop links drop the bar from front cross member on a spacer (cheap option for now)

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
13 Feb 2019 19:56 #203155 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Discreet but capable
Forgive my ignorance but fitting adjustable arb drop links isn't going to make the slightest difference is it? The way to adjust the effect of the arb is to alter either the thickness of the bar or the length of the returns on the bar from the centre line of the chassis mounts to the holes the drop links fix into? The angle that thr return arms occupy relative to the horizontal isn't relevant to it's performance?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
13 Feb 2019 20:19 #203157 by sniper
Lengthening the drop links will reduce tension on the arb and soften its input.

Shortening (which is what has happened because of the lift) makes rebound sharper and can cause a cross axle wobble if severe.

By moving the bottom mount up or down, you increase or decrease the preloaded torsional tension that the anti roll bar is under. This can vastly alter spring across the axle, easier to understand as rebound. Hit a pot hole on one side and get a jump from the other side in rebound.

sniper

More
13 Feb 2019 21:45 #203164 by Jezz
Replied by Jezz on topic Discreet but capable
:unsure: :unsure: :ohmy:

It's been fettled just a tad.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
13 Feb 2019 22:06 #203170 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Discreet but capable

sniper wrote: Lengthening the drop links will reduce tension on the arb and soften its input.

Shortening (which is what has happened because of the lift) makes rebound sharper and can cause a cross axle wobble if severe.

By moving the bottom mount up or down, you increase or decrease the preloaded torsional tension that the anti roll bar is under. This can vastly alter spring across the axle, easier to understand as rebound. Hit a pot hole on one side and get a jump from the other side in rebound.

sniper

Err how. The bar is free to rotate in the bushes at the chassis end so if both ends of the return arms drop equally as when the suspension is unloaded then the bar is under no tension and offers no resistance to movement beyond any friction from the bushes. If one side of the axle moves vertically relative to the other the bar attempts to match that movement in the opposite wheel but that is via the integral spring strength of the bar being put under torsional load along the axis parallel to the axle. The only way to alter that is either a thicker stronger bar or to change the leverage ratio of the return arms. If the arb was physically through bolted into the chassis that would have the effect you're after but that would make it a torsion bar like the rear suspension on a Peugeot 205 but that's not how it works.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
13 Feb 2019 22:38 #203172 by sniper
The arb is fixed to the hub at each end by the drop links, in a static position there is some preload. That preload can be adjusted by increasing or decreasing the length of the drop link. Shorter will increase the load and encourage a more positive response, longer will reduce the load and soften the response.

When they are too tight they can cause the car to pitch from side to side, the arb just acting as a spring and not absorbing (torsionally) any of the roll, maybe even exaggerating it.

My axle is 30-40mm further away from the arb, this has changed its preload (increased) and its speeded it's response.

As I originally stated, I might be able to tune the bounce out by increasing the damping rate. I don't want to go too hard though, so if I can't quieten the bounce with the dampers, I will have to increase the length of the drop link with adjustable units.

sniper

More
13 Feb 2019 22:46 #203173 by Jezz
Replied by Jezz on topic Discreet but capable
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :dry: :laugh: :laugh: :unsure: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

It's been fettled just a tad.

More
13 Feb 2019 22:53 #203174 by gv42
Replied by gv42 on topic Discreet but capable
I LOVE THIS ,,,,,,,

More
13 Feb 2019 23:12 - 13 Feb 2019 23:22 #203177 by sniper
I'm not clever enough to get this on paper but a short browse found this If you're interested.......

"Whiteline are well known for producing adjustable anti-roll bars and these have a number of holes formed in the end of the bar which enable the drop link to be unbolted and then moved. This changes the lever length of the anti-roll bar. If the lever is shortened then the roll stiffness increases, conversely if the lever is lengthened, the roll stiffness decreases. When purchased in kit form, heavy duty adjustable drop links are often included making it a complete package, however many anti-roll bars sold do not come with drop links, and you are expected to use the original equipment link on the car. Most of the time these links are adequate. Certainly they are from the original equipment manufacturer. Unfortunately in the aftermarket there are often cheaper alternatives which don’t last as long. If you take a design that is weaker than the original and then put higher loads through it, you can definitely expect lost rate and there’s a very good chance it might break. There is also the likelihood to wear the bearing more quickly and cause knocking if it doesn’t break it.

It is useful to consider the loads we’re dealing with. Lets imagine a 3 foot wide bar with 6 inch levers. If this was 1 inch in diameter it would create 834 lbs roll stiffness for each inch of movement. What happens if we move the lever point just 1 inch? Making it 1 inch longer brings the stiffness down to 605 lbs / in and shortening it by 1 inch increases it to a mighty 1218 lb/in. If we imagine that the original bar was just ¾ inch thick and had a fixed 6 inch lever it would have given us just 264 lbs of roll stiffness. So it’s easy to see that by running a larger diameter anti-roll bar and running it in the stiffest position, the drop link has to cope with massively increased loads.

Another factor with drop links connected to adjustable anti-roll is that as the bar is adjusted the angle of the drop link will change. This means that the load will no longer be solely in the intended orientation (which would be North – South as you looked at a link). Instead the drop link would now be receiving loads at an angle which will put the ball joint under more stress. The solution to this is simple as Whiteline supply a range of adjustable drop links. This means you can get the link adjusted to the correct length, to ensure the loads are received in the correct plane.

So there you have it, adjustable drop links that are uprated are not just for show. They enable you to set the length of the link to ensure the load is carried correctly, and set the length of the link to ensure there is no preload. In short they are an essential part of anti-roll bar performance and worth seeking out where adjustable, uprated versions are available."

I don't think I can add anything to that, I hope it clarifies adjustable links and the need for them.

sniper
Last edit: 13 Feb 2019 23:22 by sniper.

More
14 Feb 2019 01:47 - 14 Feb 2019 10:22 #203180 by sniper
So the car will be as it stands for some considerable time now, future plans are all engine and drivetrain related therefore expensive.

Unless the finance fuhrer decides she wants a world cruise and feels so guilty she throws a couple of grand at me..... they might well stay as plans.

05' VVT with 74000 miles

Body - Standard apart from a nice textured paint job (scratched a bit), rear seats / panels removed, Sony bluetooth stereo/speakers

Engine - Mobil One oil, new sump pan, K&N filter, Yuasa battery

Gearbox - New Luk clutch, fully synthetic oil

Transfer Box - Replaced with a low mileage used box, fully synthetic oil, Jimnybits guard

Suspension - AVO adj dampers, Eibach +30mm springs, 15mm Superpro spring seats (25mm o/s/f), Polybush castor correction and panhard bushes, Superpro anti roll bar mounts

Rear Axle - New wheel bearings, Quaife ATB differential fitted at M&T Transmissions along with a full rebuild, fully synthetic oil, shock repositioners,

Front Axle - N/S/F wheel bearing, kingpins, bearings and seals, new callipers, drilled/grooved discs, AVM HP manual hubs, greenstuff pads, Hel braided lines, fully synthetic oil, Jimnybits Rough Country steering damper

Tyres - BF Goodrich All Terrain KO2's in 215/75x15 with 30mm spacers

So far so good, it's a cracking little car but I have spent a mortgage on it. Sadly the spanners and welders are beyond me these days and I have to pay to get my shiny bits fitted. Hence the finance fuhrer's recent change in attitude, she flipped when I told her what I'd spent on the diff rebuild.

I'm going to set about having some fun in the car with more green lanes, possibly an RTV trial (if I dare risk my bumpers) and some longer journeys around Scotland and Ireland (apparently holiday budgets are nigh on unlimited....).

I'll be seeing a few of you guys along the way too, thanks to the forum.

sniper
Last edit: 14 Feb 2019 10:22 by sniper.

Time to create page: 0.211 seconds