BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Dave's "S200KYS" Jimny 'laner Build...

More
21 Apr 2016 17:59 - 21 Apr 2016 18:07 #165587 by X8GGY
Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Apr 2016 18:07 by X8GGY.
The following user(s) said Thank You: idiotmobil
The topic has been locked.
  • Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
22 Apr 2016 04:11 #165608 by Lambert

S200KYS wrote: Hmmm, kinda decided that a buggy is not practical for the UK (unless I win the lottery, then I'd get a tricked up Polaris RZR*)

(*and as the other lads in the group have said, a Polaris or similar, doesn't have sufficient ground clearance for greenlaning... so KISS and keep it Jimny 2!)

A standard ranger comes with 12 inch of clearance how much more does one need? I know the suspension design puts the arms a lot lower nearer the wheels but even so a ranger will climb about over terrain that would make a unimog weep.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
More
22 Apr 2016 08:26 #165618 by X8GGY
Hmmm, 12"... that'll do! OK, I'll get another Lucky Dip then?! ;)

That's all for now on the red one though, I'll start it's own build thread on Sunday when I get back to working on it... ;)
More
23 Apr 2016 13:00 #165682 by gusthegorilla

S200KYS wrote: "SZOOKYS" little brother, as yet to be named, is taking shape... I'll start a blog and a build thread on it soon, as work progresses, but here's a teaser photo -

So far, suspension lift and 235/75/15 Maxxis MTs fitted...
File Attachment:

More on the little red one soon!...

Damned good choice, Dave......wouldn't have one any other way ...... :whistle:

I'm planning to live forever.....so far, so good !!
The following user(s) said Thank You: idiotmobil
More
23 Apr 2016 15:14 #165684 by idiotmobil
Looks like you have done some thing a little diffrent with my roof at the rear and fixings

JIMNYLESS
  • Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Apr 2016 15:43 #165690 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Dave's "S200KYS" Jimny 'laner Build...

gusthegorilla wrote:

S200KYS wrote: "SZOOKYS" little brother, as yet to be named, is taking shape... I'll start a blog and a build thread on it soon, as work progresses, but here's a teaser photo -

So far, suspension lift and 235/75/15 Maxxis MTs fitted...
File Attachment:

More on the little red one soon!...

Damned good choice, Dave......wouldn't have one any other way ...... :whistle:

Looking good Gus ;)
More
23 Apr 2016 15:53 #165692 by X8GGY
Ummm... looks like I'm building it's twin?!

Have you got a window in the back hardtop section Gus?

Just planning mine...
Attachments:
More
23 Apr 2016 15:58 #165695 by X8GGY

idiotmobil wrote: Looks like you have done some thing a little diffrent with my roof at the rear and fixings

Looks like Gus has modded it so the rear tailgate opens with the roof in place? B)

oooh, might copy that! :whistle:
More
23 Apr 2016 16:00 #165696 by idiotmobil
Roof should lift enough on front mounts to open

JIMNYLESS
More
23 Apr 2016 16:06 #165697 by idiotmobil
If planning a window your notice a thicker section if you look on the inside of roof it's nearly the size of the roof cut the windows in side this and as it's thicker best to cut hole then measure thickness if your going for window rubber etc

JIMNYLESS
The following user(s) said Thank You: mlines
More
23 Apr 2016 16:16 #165698 by gusthegorilla

S200KYS wrote:

idiotmobil wrote: Looks like you have done some thing a little diffrent with my roof at the rear and fixings

Looks like Gus has modded it so the rear tailgate opens with the roof in place? B)

oooh, might copy that! :whistle:

That's exactly what I did. ...located the pull-down fasteners on the inside for added security, transferred the door measurements to the bottom edge of the roof and cut out 1", fitted a flexible rubber seal in place of the bit I removed so that when the door opens and closes it just displaces the rubber as it goes by, but provides a weatherproof seal for the door when closed.
Thought about fitting a window (had one available until recently ), but decided against it purely so that the stuff I keep inside is much less visible.
One thing I should mention....when I cut out the 1" bit from the bottom edge, the roof lost some of its inherent strength, so I fabricated a lightweight aluminium stringer the width of the roof and bonded it to the inside....rigidity and strength restored ;)

I'm planning to live forever.....so far, so good !!
More
24 Apr 2016 15:58 #165742 by X8GGY
Lil' Red now has it's own build thread here - www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum?view=topic&catid=18&id=60097

This thread is for Big Blu' ;)
Time to create page: 0.231 seconds