BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Dave's "S200KYS" Jimny 'laner Build...

• funkyjimny
    Registered
  • 2004 jimny soft top, factory hardtop, ARB bumper
More
10 May 2014 18:30 - 10 May 2014 18:47 #114755 by funkyjimny
Going to look awfully familiar ..... But mines been modified for 10 years so it's about time you did yours !
Can't wait buddy!
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 May 2014 18:47 by funkyjimny.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bits4Vits
The topic has been locked.
  • Bits4Vits
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 May 2014 15:15 #114845 by Bits4Vits
Replied by Bits4Vits on topic Dave's (Bits4Vits) Jimny 'laner Build...
Bit more today, in between showers and dropping my youngest daughter off in Liverpool (two hour round trip) for dance lessons and about to go and pick her up again... another two hour drive! :unsure:

All the rear suspension components now also stripped out, ready for the new bits going in... :laugh:
  • Dave cc
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 May 2014 17:41 #114860 by Dave cc
Replied by Dave cc on topic Dave's (Bits4Vits) Jimny 'laner Build...
Drums are you sure !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments:
  • Tadpole
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 May 2014 17:53 #114862 by Tadpole
Replied by Tadpole on topic Dave's (Bits4Vits) Jimny 'laner Build...

Dave cc wrote: Drums are you sure !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mmmmm looks the job Dave ............. ;)
  • Bits4Vits
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 May 2014 18:22 - 11 May 2014 18:25 #114863 by Bits4Vits

Tadpole wrote:

Dave cc wrote: Drums are you sure !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mmmmm looks the job Dave ............. ;)

I've done disks - www.bits4vits.co.uk/store/greenlaning-in.../05/11/blog_100.html

Rover Calipers... fluid escaped, and was left with no e-Brake (handbrake, although the yanks refer to it as the emergency brake), so had to crash into low box (with crawler gears!) to slow the vehicle down before it rolled with momentum into a concrete silage silo...

I'll stick with my drums and a cable handbrake ta...! :huh:
Last edit: 11 May 2014 18:25 by Bits4Vits. Reason: Spooling mistook
  • Bits4Vits
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 May 2014 18:24 #114864 by Bits4Vits
Sorry, should explain... on the Rover caliper the cable pushes the piston... but if there's no brake juice, there's no handbrake... :ohmy:
  • Dave cc
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 May 2014 20:32 #114885 by Dave cc
Been using rover calipers for 15 yrs on suzukis never had a problem where did the fluid escape from ?? would have to had been major seal faliure ive never Seen that be interested to know just in case it happens to me and I crash into a silo lol :laugh: :laugh: still say bollocks to having drums its just antique :sick:
  • page
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 May 2014 20:49 #114886 by page
Replied by page on topic Dave's (Bits4Vits) Jimny 'laner Build...
Disc brakes for me just got the conversion off dave cc very well made I hate my drums always filling up with mud and water
  • Dave cc
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 May 2014 21:25 #114888 by Dave cc
Just read the story on your page still cant see how you didnt have handbrake as there is no pressure in the system when you apply the handbrake when the car is stationary if that was the case then you wouldnt have handbrake at any time
once the pistons have moved foward you need to remove pads an wind pistons back dont make any sence to me however i will disconect fluid line from back of my black jimny tommorow nite to check but i am sure that i am correct would never be allowed to work as you describe as you said it is called also an emergency brake
  • Bits4Vits
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 May 2014 08:44 #114923 by Bits4Vits
Dunno, but that's what happened -

Brake fluid everywhere, brake pedal went to floor, speed started building up as I was going down hill... Vit' was over geared because of 31"s, so even in first it was picking up speed, so went for the handbrake ("e-Brake") and nothing there either... so started considering options... bank to my right, rolling field to my left, concrete wall ahead of me, only thing to do was try and match speed with low ratio crawler gears and slam it into low... £600 worth of gears fitted by Redacted , but they survived the crunch into gear, and managed to slow down with the crawler gears...

Then fitted an axle with brake drums back on... I'd much rather have the handbrake there to be able to resort to it in such an emergency...!

Just my experience...
More
12 May 2014 14:27 #114948 by maverick
^^ agree

Jalapeño, IISY?
More
12 May 2014 17:32 #114985 by mc_nebula
Dave, do you make modification parts for Jimnys? Do you have an online shop or parts list somewhere? discs are something I've considered before...

Cheers.
Time to create page: 0.263 seconds